PDA

View Full Version : 2006 drr50

fultz416ex
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
i am new to the mini world. I just bought my son a 2006 drr50. he is not good enough yet to ride by himself, so i sit on the back just in case. this things is dog slow off the bottom. I have no idea about what is on it as far as weights, springs, etc. what is a starting point for me to get a little more bottom end out of this thing? Thanks

EthansDad
04-09-2011, 08:36 PM
ah, welcome to the world of mini quad clutching! oh the fun.

a lot of times, fuel / carb problems can act like clutch problems. What I'd do first is put the bike on a stand (wheels off ground) and rev it a bit. does it bog at all? if you have it at 1/4 and punch to full, how is it?

if all is well there, move on to clutching. for a first time rider, I'd recommend giving the bike less stall (takes off at lower rpms) and more bottom end from a clutching stand point. here is a good target for clutch setup for first time riders:

roller weights - 3.25 (very light, but will limit top speed, give more bottom)

belt - 780 bando

torque (main) spring - a good 1000k spring - yellow malossi, or 1k max rpms are good picks.

clutch shoe springs (the three little ones in the centrifugal clutch) - change to 1k or the lightest you can get - this will make the bike take off at lower rpms

hope this helps - ask more Qs if you have them.

-EA

fultz416ex
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
WOW! Guess I didn't know what I got myself into when I bought it! LOL! Thanks for the input. I am sure I will have more questions.

fultz416ex
04-10-2011, 10:03 PM
if I want to change the spring and roller weights, how do I get to them and take them off? I have the cover off but don't know how to remove it all? Thanks and like I said, I am new at this cvt thing!

Logan #34's Dad
04-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Oh your "fun" has just begun.
Do yourself a favor and go to G-force's web site. I'm pretty sure there is either video or pictures on how it comes apart and back together. I may be confusing it with YouTube though.
Anyhow, you'll need an impact drill to take off the nuts holding the clutches in the engine. The nut is normally a 17mm. it's next to impossible to hold the front or rear while getting the nut off. Sometimes a rubber strap wrench is enough but I doubt it. I use the Craftsman 19 volt impact.
Good luck!