PDA

View Full Version : Removing Chrome on pipe

FL-R
04-09-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a chrome ESR pipe thats old and chipping off. I love the old Works style pipes, Bare metal finish. Is their a way to remove the chrome to bare metal other than taking it to a shop and paying. Thanks

woodsracer144
04-09-2011, 07:51 PM
wire brush, some heat... sand blaster.... i'l tell you this much, if you dont ride alot or keep up on it, they rust FAST! i had a LRD BB with the "Works" look and i havnt rode much latly and its full of surface rust so i sanded it done once and sprayd a coat of paint on it.

CanuckR
04-09-2011, 08:01 PM
Dont know about removing the chrome. But the only way that I've been able to keep my pipes rust free for any length of time is to spray them and wipe them down with WD 40 after I wash teh bike.
I also recently found a high temp clear coat that seems to help a lot too.
Derek

1promodfan
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by CanuckR
Dont know about removing the chrome. But the only way that I've been able to keep my pipes rust free for any length of time is to spray them and wipe them down with WD 40 after I wash teh bike.
I also recently found a high temp clear coat that seems to help a lot too.
Derek

Can you tell more about the high temp clear?..........sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread.

danhung11
04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
I think you'd be better off just ordering a new pipe section. I spoke to Tom a few weeks ago, he quoted me $269 for just the pipe. Raw finish, no plate riveted to the pipe. He says he does that prior to shipping. Seemed like a good deal...

If you do decide to try to tackle this yourself, could you post some before and after pics?

Thanks,
Dan

FL-R
04-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Yeah ill post pic if I try it. And Hijack away, I also thought of clear hi temp powder also, I was gunna powder coat clear on my frame after I sandblasted it for a bare metal look.
here it is when we blasted it and I was thinking of clearing it.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b262/southernkrawlers/IMAG0211.jpg

troybilt
04-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry for the hijack, ...Along this same line of questioning, how do you remove ALL of the carbon internally so I can get a pipe rechromed?

fastrnrik
04-10-2011, 03:03 PM
We used to pour a little gas in the pipe, slosh it around and light it on fire. Then plug one end, put some bb's or ball bearings or even small nuts & bolts in it and give it a good shakin. Not sure if that is the best way to "de-carbon" a pipe, but it always worked good for us.

Honda 250r 001
04-10-2011, 03:54 PM
The true best way to get the carbon out is to take a tortch and put the tip in the header section and get it red hot, it will catch the carbon on fire and then it flakes off very easily. This can also discolor your pipe, but if your going to get it re chromed it should matter i dont think. I tried it on my YZ 125 pipe and it worked great. Discolored it a little but it runs MUCH better now.

1promodfan
04-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Sorry for the hijack, ...Along this same line of questioning, how do you remove ALL of the carbon internally so I can get a pipe rechromed?

Troy, I talked to the guys up at http://www.chromemasters.com/ and he said they could chrome a pipe thats been used. I told him that I had always heard most guys won't do it. He said they were being lazy if they didn't want to re-chrome it. Just thought I'd throw that in there.......