PDA

View Full Version : the real deal on octane booster

TRX_Thumper
02-18-2003, 09:47 AM
ok guys im fixing to drop a 11:1 wiseco piston in my 300...well the way i ride we leave sat morn around 8 or 9 and get back at past dark most of the times...theres a gas station where i live and i can pump 93..but...we ride to this little small market on the other side of the county an fill up and eat..well all they pump is 87..and riding in 95 degree weather with 87 and a 11:1 piston isnt gonna be good...and no where around here is race gas..i mean you just cant get it here...so what about say STP octane booster? does it really boost the octane or whats the deal?i plan on running an oil cooler just dont have the money at the time

2fastandfurious
02-18-2003, 10:28 AM
I have the exact same set-up with my 250x. The high comp piston is nice. It really moves the little fly. When I drag blasters and banshees they give a second look behind um to see how close im keeping up :D ANYWAY, I have a 11:1 ratio. I run 93 in ALL my small engine motors and if it wasnt so expensive i would in my cars. You could add some additive to a lil 87 and that will work. It does have an extra boost to it but i would never run it in 93. It would be pretty hard on the engine. Stick with 93 at all costs if you can. Go with a mix of 87 and additive though and you'll run fine. Half a bottle should be good. Let me know how it goes!
2FAST

honda250xrider
02-18-2003, 10:36 AM
im not sure how much it will really help you out it may stop the pinging but it will run hotter.

L.Vegas400
02-18-2003, 12:35 PM
octane booster turn the stuff inside your motor red. valves and such. dont think that hurts anything though

Loeryder
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Those octane boosters are crap, mostly alcohol.

If it says it increases your octane 5 points, its really .5 of a point.

Somewhere on the web there was a formula for the NOS brand Octane booster Off road version and how much it really effects your octane rating.

So if you add one bottle to 10 gallons of 87 you'd have 87.5.
Waste of money in my opinion...

What you REALLY want to do to increase your octance is go to a paint store and get some Xylene, its 117 octane, but it lacks the detergents and lubricants of gasoline so you shouldn't run more than 3:1 gas to xylene.

1 gallon of xylene to 2 gallons of 93 octane gas yields 100 octane

xylene is approximately 117 octane

117 + 93 +93 = 303 / 3 = 101 octane

need to add a lubricant like marvil mystery oil

do a search on the net for xylene and you'll get several pages that show you how to mix it.

TRX_Thumper
02-18-2003, 06:36 PM
alright thanks for the info guys..im goin do a search on the xylene and see what i come up with...sure would be nice if that market would get some 93

nastynotchback1
02-18-2003, 07:39 PM
maximum makes and octane boost for atv's and pro blend octane boost is a good one.those really work compared to the cheap one you see in stores

Drtridr18
03-17-2003, 11:38 PM
Does anybody know if this Xylene thing is valid? I don't know much about chemicals bu it just seems wierd mixing paint thinner or something of the like into the gas tank..haha.

Silverfox@C&DRacing
03-18-2003, 03:10 AM
I do know that if you use octane booster all the time it does build up on top of the piston we have a guy that runs it in a Polaris and when it had its rebuild the piston had lots and lots of build up.. :D

AndrewRRR
03-18-2003, 04:24 AM
A while back, Hot Rod magazine did a test of all the big name octane boosters. Most of them just formed a lump in the bottom of the gas tank. There was one that actually worked, I think it was that 104+ stuff. This was before NOS made their octane booster so that wasnt' tested.
I know for a while people on the DSM list were talking about running some Toulene in their cars. I guess Formula 1 used to run 80% toluene. Not sure the formula it works out to as far as octane or if it's ok for quads.
Are you sure you want to get a high compression piston if you can't get race gas where you live???

Loeryder
03-18-2003, 09:21 AM
Most race gas formulations use Toluene or Xylene to achieve the octane boost

Toulene has a very similar octane rating to Xylene.

Xylene and Toulene have been mixed with gasoline in turbo motors for a LONG time to keep detonation (pinging) to a minimum.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html

And here's an octane booster formula... Notice Xylene and Toulene as std options.
http://www.easyperformance.com/Octane_Booster_Wizard_Content.htm

Those little $5 bottles you dump in only raise your octane rating .4 point, NOT 4 points.