PDA

View Full Version : custom shorty pipe.

JOHNDOE83
04-09-2011, 05:21 AM
I have some friends that ride sportbikes, They take their stock muffler/slipon and cut them shorter to make the bike have more power and a better look.

4 strokes make more power when they flow more air, a more open pipe creates more power, which is why a aftermarket slipon works. The curtis sparks full exhaust system is said to be the best, it has bigger header pipes and a free flowing slipon thats why it makes the most power.

So I took this sport bike idea, cause I cant afford new headers, and they dont make a drag pipe for 400exs and dual pipes are really expensive. Also if you have a cheapy slipon you could do this mod and make it look and sound better and add a lil power.

You still have all the internals the same way, still can repack with muffler pack, still have your spark arrester and be a higher flowing and better looking custom slipon.

Drill out your rivets, and remove the end cap just like you would to repack your exhaust, pull out the packing and tube, then mark how short you want the slipon to be and cut it with a chop saw or grinder, then cut your packing tube to fit and reassemble the slipon with rivets or self taping screws.

Now you have a custom shortened slipon, I did this yesterday to my white bros R4 slipon. Its only 10in' long now and will look great with my cut plastics and extended swingarm.

Its a lil dirty from doing the work, I kinda caveman'd the work on my lunch break...lol. All I gotta do is hit with a brillo pad and it will have a new brushed finish to it.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/shortypipe001.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/shortypipe003.jpg

01boneless
04-09-2011, 08:30 AM
sweet dude cant wait to see it on the quad

finsteratv
04-09-2011, 12:06 PM
think you could do this on a stock pipe for a better sound?

JOHNDOE83
04-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I think DMC_400ex actually did once??

I think in a old thread he said it was to complicated cause the stock pipe has like 3 or 4 different pipe chambers?

Atleast from what I remember.

But you could possibly just remove all that stuff and just run the can if you want it to be louder.

irondaddy44
04-09-2011, 08:37 PM
i did this on my street bike a few years ago. i was going to buy a slip on and figured i would give it a shot. i took 8 inches off. i ended up just keeping it on. really didnt sound bad at all. not sure what it would be like on a quad. worth a shot if your going to upgrade anyways.