PDA

View Full Version : 05 450r Help !

thefuzz
04-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Ok guys need some input ! my son drug home a 2005 450R today he bought it WITH a clear title for $200. an a bow my son never used anymore, anyway the guy SAID it will run but it needs rings and a timing chain, my son said they FIRED it up after kicking the heck outa it it ran then died so they loaded her up. So my son just ASUMED this guy new what he was talking about an started taking the plastick off an tearing it down when I came HOME ! HALT ! RITE THERE !! we ran a compression test on it it has 30 psi compression kicking it over about 3 to 4 times so since my SON already had the tank an all of it we pulled the cam cover or head cover off an LOOKED at the chain an gear and the guids the guids DO have a SHARP EDGE ON THEM an looking down inside it looks as if the tensioner is all the way ageans the one guide..so we STOPED THERE ! does the timing chain an guides & tensioner wear out ?? an how do you tell if they are bad ?? My son said him an his frend tryed for over 2hrs to get it started and couldn't it would fire up then run a lil an die but WAS MAKING A NOISE , BUT NOT A KNOCKING SOUND from what they could tell they couldn't keep it running long enough ANY HELP ...
thanks thefuzz65@yahoo.com

robinson446
04-09-2011, 06:04 AM
if you have no idea what the motor has been through your best bet would be to have it tore down just to see what it looks like inside .would be better to find a problem .than to start it up and seiz it up and cause more damage , new gasket set is cheaper than complete motor job < just sayin>

DnB_racing
04-09-2011, 06:32 AM
here is a link to a service manual, just wait until the 45second timer runs down and a free down load button will appear

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I1LMLX10

thefuzz
04-09-2011, 09:51 AM
yer rite there DOES ANYONE know any body around southern OHIO that's good with them BESIDES HONDA !

THNAKS for thant link !!
thefuzz65@yahoo.com

Rich250RRacer
04-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by thefuzz
yer rite there DOES ANYONE know any body around southern OHIO that's good with them BESIDES HONDA !

THNAKS for thant link !!
thefuzz65@yahoo.com

Where you at in southern Ohio?

thefuzz
04-09-2011, 06:04 PM
SEAMAN !zip code 45679 it's 45 miles east of cincinati and 45 miles from Chillicothy

Rich250RRacer
04-09-2011, 11:44 PM
SEAMAN !zip code 45679 it's 45 miles east of cincinati and 45 miles from Chillicothy

Wow, opposite side of the state. If you were closer, I'd be able to help you out.

New450r
04-11-2011, 02:43 PM
wow 200 thats it even if it had to have everything redone you still got one h3LL of a deal good luck.

thefuzz
04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
yea 200 bucks an a bow that was worth about 300. OK GUYS we butoned it BACK TOGEATHER an on saturday we fired it up afer having to pull it to get it started it started an ran BUT it was NOISY as far as a slaping sound coming from the left side of the case in that chain area! an it WAS SMOKING had it up on a set of ramps ran it thro the gears all semm OK did not hear any knocking sounds just that ticking / slaping sound !!
so could it be the chain ? what about the guides ? we didn't want to run it long just enought to try to narrow down the noise an to make sure it did run !
thefuzz65@yahoo.com

nyates450
04-11-2011, 08:05 PM
What you describe sounds exactly like a chain. Guides usally don't have to be changed, but will depend on how long it was rode with the worn chain. Tensioners do fail, but not very common.
As far as the smoking. You may get by with just rings, but would really expect to find the coating on the cylinder worn out aswell. Since you had to pull start the bike, the valves are probably out of adjustment. They will need to be reshimed if not replaced.

You are still in the good with that price.

thefuzz
04-11-2011, 08:40 PM
ok I was told to take the bolt outa the back of the tensioner an reach in with a small screw driver an see if it is all the way in / relesed !! I DID THIS and YES it is all the way out pushing on the guide. I was told that was a good tell tail that the chain is worn out ??

DnB_racing
04-11-2011, 08:43 PM
ok I was told to take the bolt outa the back of the tensioner an reach in with a small screw driver an see if it is all the way in / relesed !! I DID THIS and YES it is all the way out pushing on the guide. I was told that was a good tell tail that the chain is worn out ?? the chain usually binds before it stretches. however the guides could get worn and cause tension problems

thefuzz
04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
ok I would like to know the condition of a new set of guides v/s a worn set how do you tell ??

DnB_racing
04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
you should be able to see if there is excessive wear. look at the thickness of them if they are thinner were the chain rides or if the chain has left uneven ware marks they should be replaced, and make sure you tension adjuster is actually able to move fully in and out, it wouldn't be a bad idea to give the top end a rebuild, rings, cam chain, and check to the manual all the specs while you have apart.spend a couple hundred bucks and make sure its good and save in the long run

PSNL05
04-17-2011, 05:16 AM
You may as well just pull it all the way down and check the crank too, sounds like the bike was not very well maintained. Only takes a couple hours to pull it down and rebuild it, you'll be much happier with it and could potentially save a LOT of money by catching and fixing potential problems. And with an 04/05 it isn't a bad idea to grab a little higher comp piston and a new cam ($400 total) while you are that far into the engine, you'll thank yourself later knowing its got fresh components and you'll be able to check/crosshatch the cylinder walls too to give your rings a proper seat/break in. If I wasn't a couple states away then I'd help you out, but I can answer most questions about the rebuild.

blacknblue#2
12-26-2012, 07:49 AM
I know this thread is pushing 2 years old but what ever come out of this quad? Im real close to ya and im sure I coulda helped ya out.