PDA

View Full Version : help with brakes

jtalleman
04-08-2011, 10:02 PM
so i put new pads on and now there is just so much drag in the bike to where i can barely push it is that normal is there like a wear time in the pads

honda400ex2003
04-08-2011, 10:09 PM
fronts or backs?

if backs check out your parking brake bolt and loosen it up a bit to take the rest of the pressure off first and then go from there.

steve

jtalleman
04-08-2011, 10:10 PM
dont have a parking brake and its both front and rear

honda400ex2003
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
interesting for sure then. might be worth checking out the bolt anyway.

what pads are you running?

did you make sure you took the pressure off of reservoirs by loosening the caps on them? I would assume you did but it could possibly push fluid back in making them have too much pressure on them.

maybe they are kinked on the slides and will require some cleaning and anti-seize on them.

steve

fearlessfred
04-08-2011, 10:14 PM
there should not be any drag that you could notice. did you remove the rezzy cap when installing new pads

01boneless
04-08-2011, 10:15 PM
hmmm

jtalleman
04-08-2011, 10:27 PM
yeah i let the pressure out whats the rezzy cap and its mainly my left front that is tight as hell my back is a lil rub my front right spins freely but the left is hard to turn with my hands

tri5ron
04-08-2011, 10:33 PM
did you clean the calipers when you had it apart ? sounds to me like they might be sticking.

jtalleman
04-08-2011, 10:39 PM
not really i think im gonna ride em tomrrow see if they loosen up if not ill take them off and try to clean them up and spray some chain lube in there or something

jtalleman
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
surely it couldnt be cus i didnt put that piston shim in on the back of the one pad right lol

4HundredEX
04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Dumb question, but did the calipers go back on over the rotors easy or were they a PIA to get back on... ie did you push the piston back in when you put the new pads back on. If both ends are doing the same, it was more than likely an install error somewhere.

I replaced the front and rear pads on my 05, and all I did was push the piston all the way back in, clean up the slides and run a piece of sandpaper over them as well. Applied a little marine grease to the back of the pads and contact points on the caliper, and also lightly on the slides. Repacked the front bearings while I had it apart, put it all back together, pumped the break levers a few times to seat the pads up against the rotors. They work like a charm.

I have read that some pads have been to thick from the get go, and had to be sanded down to fit. Cant remember where I read that, but I do recall it though. The only problem with riding it to wear the pads down are 1~if they were installed incorrectly you will wear them out faster especially if they are cocked at an angle... they wont wear evenly. 2~ you will heat up the rotors rather rapidly and possibly warp them. I would take it all apart and make sure everything is correct. Better to be safe then sorry. Sorry being having to order new pads and/or rotors sooner than later.

jgar
04-09-2011, 08:41 PM
I got some cheep pads off of ebay and had to belt sand them down so they would fit.

jtalleman
04-10-2011, 03:21 PM
yeah these are cheap ones off ebay as well i just rode it yesterday till it wore off and im good now it rides awesome