PDA

View Full Version : Check my plug.

Honda4life05
04-08-2011, 04:39 PM
I took my plug out today and it looks to be corroded around the top of it? anyone ever seen this? i'm just trying to figure out if it's running really hot or if it's just from water. help please!

DnB_racing
04-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
I took my plug out today and it looks to be corroded around the top of it? anyone ever seen this? i'm just trying to figure out if it's running really hot or if it's just from water. help please! make sure the side drain hole is clean .. as long as the electrode isn't corroded its ok, and it looks as though the plug hasn't been changed in some time,
also the cap should keep most of the moisture out.it might have loosened up and allowed water in, if that's happening there is a plug cap holder to keep it form lifting out

Honda4life05
04-08-2011, 09:01 PM
The plug is only half a year old, it should last alot longer than that. The little hole is clear now, but maybe it was clogged at a time and i didnt know it. Also the cap was on all the way when i took it out.

TCracin440ex
04-08-2011, 11:44 PM
half a year old? wtf bro seriously. i changed my plug on my R about every oil change. or just about every 3 or 4 rides.

bad maintence right there. even when i had a 400ex i still changed my plug every 3 or 4 rides.

Ruf Racing
04-09-2011, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Honda4life05
The plug is only half a year old, it should last alot longer than that. The little hole is clear now, but maybe it was clogged at a time and i didnt know it. Also the cap was on all the way when i took it out.

It definitely looks like water, wasn't draining out of the weep hole.

robinson446
04-09-2011, 06:00 AM
if you take care of your quad ,there is no reason you should have to change your plug every oil change on a 4 stroke we have had ours in for 2 years now and still looks great

Ruf Racing
04-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by TCracin440ex
i changed my plug on my R about every oil change. or just about every 3 or 4 rides.

WOW! Your joking right? Those iridium plugs will last for years. Glad to see you're keeping the economy growing $ :D

robinson446
04-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing
WOW! Your joking right? Those iridium plugs will last for years. Glad to see you're keeping the economy growing $ :D yeah what he said lol

DnB_racing
04-09-2011, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by robinson446
if you take care of your quad ,there is no reason you should have to change your plug every oil change on a 4 stroke we have had ours in for 2 years now and still looks great yes they do last a lot longer then a plug in the 2 strokes,

but that doesnt mean you can just install and forget about it, I change every rebuild every year, and I check it every oil change, the plug is a great snap shot of whats happening in the motor,and can catch a problem before its bad!

Sjorge450R
04-09-2011, 10:37 AM
when I was riding frequently, I would change the plug every 6 months. Then when I cut back riding, I moved it to every year. Its not that big of a deal to switch it out. Just change it out often and you do not have to worry about why your plug looks like it does.

Honda4life05
04-09-2011, 12:11 PM
If your changing your plug every oil change, PLEASE send me your "worn out" plugs! lol there is absolutly no reason to change it every oil change. half a year at the most. I'm going to pick up a new plug today, thanks.

pro-rider46
04-15-2011, 02:34 PM
lol the dealership probably loves when you drop like fifty sixty dollars every other week.

400ex4ever
04-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by robinson446
if you take care of your quad ,there is no reason you should have to change your plug every oil change on a 4 stroke we have had ours in for 2 years now and still looks great

I agree...The plug drain hole may be clogged. A good run of thumb is after yout wash the quad. Start it up to let an standing water on/in the plug hole evaprote. We all know it doesnt take long for these engines to get up to temp.

Just my 2 cents....