PDA

View Full Version : spacer plate question

hartwill
04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I posted on here before but I cant find the thread. but anyway someone stated that when using a long rod crank with an 86 piston that I needed like a 3mm spacer instead of the 5mm that everyone sells. I think it was for more compression but im not sure. I need to know if I do this what head gasket to use. I currently run the cr style head gasket with the 5mm spacer, but I want better performance. or do you think it would be more cost effective to just shave the head and continue with my current set-up?

Honda 250r 001
04-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
I posted on here before but I cant find the thread. but anyway someone stated that when using a long rod crank with an 86 piston that I needed like a 3mm spacer instead of the 5mm that everyone sells. I think it was for more compression but im not sure. I need to know if I do this what head gasket to use. I currently run the cr style head gasket with the 5mm spacer, but I want better performance. or do you think it would be more cost effective to just shave the head and continue with my current set-up?

Find out what your compression is first before you decide if you want more or not. You can try running thinner base gaskets or have your head milled.

You cant just run a thinner spacer plate or your motor will run like crap. Your TDC and BDC have to line up with the top of the cylinder and the bottom of the transfer ports for the best airflow and control of the air/fuel mixture. THEN you get your compression where you want it with head gaskets and domes.