PDA

View Full Version : Is the R making a "Come Back"????

JoePA
04-08-2011, 07:30 AM
I do my usual routine of surfin the net when I get home from work. Hit up all my regular sites then i do some 250R part searching. As of lately, say the past few months, The price of the 250R's is doing pretty darn good! I'm currently, and I know the rest of you are too, looking for a complete 250R for cheap!

I've come across some nice deals in the $1700 to $1900 range but not much less than that. Also found some Nicely built quads holding their value quite well compared to the 450 world.

So is the desire to own the "Legend" growing? If it is, that is great! Would certainly like to see more at the track and more companies making stuff for the R. Just the chances of finding my Diamond in the rough will get smaller by the day!!!

troybilt
04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I definitely think the trend of 250r stuff is going up, but there is some ups and downs along the way. The last 2-3 years I noticed, late fall-Christmas time frame, you can't give 250r parts or complete bikes away. (and I never have money saved up, but next year I'm going to save for the Fall serge of 250r stuff!!!...) Come Spring the prices bounce back a little.

Compared to 450r's the prices are plummeting. I remember when I bought mine 2 years ago, I couldn't find anything for less than 3500, now all of a sudden 450r's loaded with aftermarket goodies hardly bring 3k...

The old addage, "they don't make'm like they used too" applies here.

250Renvy
04-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I don't know about making a comeback. I think it just has it's cycles and the guys who are selling are just asking way more and as prices go up for parts, so do people's quads.

socal
04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
I just bought my first 250r in over 20 years,since my first 250r I got brand new off the showroom floor in 87,I couldnt believe how cheap I got it for.In between,I have owned several 450s and a Raptor.I just think the 450 market has gotten so saturated,the high of it all is going away.Its been 7 years since Yamaha changed the atv world with the release of the YFZ450...Its an awesome feeling owning something that started it all for me,and with some mods,even after all these years,it still rides better than the latest technology,that says alot about the legend.I hope the market does get much better,just glad to be back!

sangheraent
04-08-2011, 01:01 PM
a trend iv noticed in the last year or so, is that 4 strokes have dropped in price so much that there prices arn't much higher then 2 stroke atvs. but the average person on a budget that can only afford a 2500 atv cant really afford a 1100 rebuild. so I have noticed a surge in 2 strokes because of that.

Honda 250r 001
04-08-2011, 01:12 PM
With ne ESR cases and cylinders, Neil's new rule on displacement. ive seen more R's pop up racing.

Locally and nationally.

Im excited!

wilkin250r
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Now we just need to convince Honda to make a production run of some of the discontinued parts...

bigE28
04-08-2011, 02:45 PM
x2 on that. wish honda would make another " batch " of r parts!!!

Jonny B
04-08-2011, 03:19 PM
I agree with most that its been slightly up and down with the value of these 250r's...I think the slightly higher prices more of a season ( spring ) thing.

89rebel
04-09-2011, 12:48 PM
I can say that the oem parts make the 250r more valuable to me. 5 yrs ago when my case got shattered from a chain, the builder had new cases in stock, not any more. Also when I do find an unmolested 250r they ask rediculous prices for em and they are all stock. being a rider, im looking for some extras such as exaust, tires, suspension and such. another issue for me is the price has to be right considering you may to drive hrs and the cost of fuel isnt cheap. Ill never buy another without seeing/riding it 1st, ebay and distant buying and having it shipped only to find you got something other then what you were told sucks. Who knows, honda may come out with the 2 stroke again with the technology that 2 stroke sleds have, they supposedly have better emissions than the 4 stroke motors. what would the old R be worth then. Ill keep dreaming..........

89rebel
04-09-2011, 01:02 PM
true about what troybilt said " they dont make em like they used to". Although these new quads have resevoir shocks, they are not all that great, and considering the 250r rear shock had a remote resi stock rear shock compared to that junk today, that was a better design. I'll always love the R but when oem stock parts like the fenders became history, I was depressed to see the price of used fenders. expecially the '88. I just dont care for the aftermarket body.

wild250rman
04-09-2011, 01:49 PM
keep calling your Honda parts dealer requesting parts and maybe with enough calls they may take notice.

C-LEIGH RACING
04-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Did the Honda factory get effected from the earthquakes.
Neil