PDA

View Full Version : Brake questions

IcutMetl
04-08-2011, 05:44 AM
So I've been going thru this red R I just bought.

The front brake discs and pads are in good shape and work, but the lever feel is very spongy. I bled all new fluid into the lines and reservoir- still spongy. No leaks.

The rear brakes were done for; reservoir was empty. I replaced the rotor and am waiting on new pads. I filled the reservoir and pumped the hell out of the pedal, but no action. No drop in fluid at all after mucho pumping. Also, no leaks.

Do I need to rebuild my master cylinders? Lines along with calipers are stock but good shape.

Pending answers, I would be interested in a rear brake reservoir or possibly an entire setup.

Thanks!

DnB_racing
04-08-2011, 06:01 AM
get a rebuild kit for the rear master its alot cheaper.... as long as is isnt junk! take apart and check, sometimes you have to use air pressure to blow the plunger out of the master

IcutMetl
04-08-2011, 07:35 AM
Cool; thanks...that's sort of what I figured. What do you think about the spongy fronts?

DnB_racing
04-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Cool; thanks...that's sort of what I figured. What do you think about the spongy fronts? the front probably could use a rebuild also, or the lines might be making it feel spongy

IcutMetl
04-08-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
the front probably could use a rebuild also, or the lines might be making it feel spongy

Probably be best to do both of them anyway. The lines, calipers, master cylinders all seem ok; better than the ones on my white wheeler, but it wouldn't hurt to rebuild the masters and spring for a braided brake line kit.