PDA

View Full Version : Need your opinion and help!

330exrider4life
04-07-2011, 08:00 PM
Couple weeks ago i stripped out my countershaft.the one coming out of the motor, sprocket goes on it. Read my older post to find out what happened. I ordered the shaft im going to be putting it in soon. I made a big mistake of when i pulled my head off i took the rings off the piston i dont know why. but Theres no scaring once so ever on the piston or cylinder. Very clean internals. My dad keeps saying i need to buy a piston kit. Im kinda tight on money right now, the motor had Excellent compression when taken apart. Ran Really good. Nothing inside is worn out, not even my cam chain guides, they dont have any grooves. Do you think i should rering it? I really want to put the rings and piston i had back in the motor. My dad says if i do that i wont have the same compression as i had because i took the rings off. Tell me what you think. Another is i dont want to buy a manual. So im about to put the cases back together, what are the torque specs for the bolts that hold the cases together and all the head bolts. inculding ones that hold the cylinder on. Thank for your time.

IMSROLL450R
04-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Make sure you have the compression ring on top and put em back on. If it had good compression with those rings and you didnt bend em, then nothing has changed. Dont waste money on new rings if those worked fine....

330exrider4life
04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Thank you for your help! and how can i exactly tell whats the compression ring?

330exrider4life
04-07-2011, 09:40 PM
i know the oil ring and two little ones the goes on top and bottom of the oil ring but which is the compression one.

IMSROLL450R
04-08-2011, 05:33 AM
The compression ring or top ring has a tapered edge. The second ring has an actual notch cut in the edge. As always put the side of the ring with the numbers or markings facing UP.

I also noticed you needed a manual. I found one on this site that I just downloaded to my computer. I think its too big to email but just search 300ex manual and start scanning old threads. I'd NEVER attempt a rebuild without a manual just to be safe.

330exrider4life
04-08-2011, 09:59 AM
Okay i think im just going to order a manual since i know i dont need the money for rings or a piston. Thanks for all of your help though,