PDA

View Full Version : 450r shock helllpppp

finsteratv
04-07-2011, 08:41 AM
theres a guy near me with a fullset of 450r shocks for dirt cheap. im really only looking for the fronts but i might throw the rear on for fun and just to see what its like. my question is what weight range do these work best for? im only 125-130 tops and dont want to stiff of a shock.thanks guys!

tri5ron
04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
On stock 400EX a-arms, with stock 450r shocks, and a riding weight of 130lbs, it's going to ride a little stiffer.
You can reduce it a little, by backing off the preload all the way, and softening the compression and rebound all the way.

It still will probably be a LITTLE stiff, but it will ALSO be a MUCH better set-up than your stock Pogosticks.

A set of aftermarket springs, set to your riding weight, and A-arm lengths, will make all the difference it the world.

As far as the rear goes, I dont have any personal experience because my stock rear shock works fine for me,... But from what I have read here, there really is no advantage with the stock 450r rear shock,... over the stock 400ex shock.

Some members here run a XC or MX link from GTT and claim they are happy with them. They claim the XC link helps reduce the "bucking" of the rear.

Or of coarse,...
You could always put some lead in your back pockets.

CJM
04-07-2011, 01:29 PM
Agreed with Ron.

I know Ive said it before, but here I go again: Recently my rear shock needed to be rebuilt, rebuilding it the way I want is $$$-Im currently scraping buy. So I bought a 450R shock b/c I couldnt find a good EX shock for a good price.

It lowered the quad about an inch, I havent rode with it yet, but I feel it might ride a tad better.

Otherwise there is no advantage to the 450R rear shock. Its pretty much the same shock, its slightly shorter by about 3/4" or so, spring diameter is larger by a bit and the rezzie is larger-but otherwise same damn shock thru and thru. No advantage to it at all except it lowered the ride height slightly which may help handling-IDK

finsteratv
04-07-2011, 04:49 PM
well i think i might go for it, being 14 and paying for all my parts and 400 probably just ride them and not send to GTT or anything. i also think if the 450r rear does lower it a tad it might give it a better looking stance in the rear. mainly im just looking for some better fronts, theres one place we ride and to get to the big dunes you ride a sand road about mile and a half lon atleast......not fun with pogo sticks and riding all day already haha :D

jtalleman
04-07-2011, 07:16 PM
it will be alot stiffer im 200 lbs and i didnt really care for em

Muzzgit
04-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by jtalleman
it will be alot stiffer im 200 lbs and i didnt really care for em

I agree.

I would suggest keeping the stock 400 EX shocks and saving your dollars for some +2 A-Arms. The stock 400EX shocks do surprisingly well when they have to work a bit harder.