PDA

View Full Version : How to get best results out of the drum brakes

2old2race
04-07-2011, 08:06 AM
The brakes on my son's 90 have gotten progressively worse as time goes on.
I took them apart for the first time, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, adjusted and lubed the cables and although the fronts are pretty decent, the back is still pretty bad.
The pads are still decent.

The only thing I did not do was go over the pads and inside of the drums with sandpaper. Would this have helped?

I really don't want to spend $800 for a disc brake set up. For that amount of money I may as well just get my son a Raptor 125 which imo is one of the best buys on the market. JMO.

Thanks!

fastrnrik
04-07-2011, 08:23 AM
We have an older Kasea/Adly which is supposed to be the same as the Polaris setup. It had the drum brakes with the axle tubes on it. I was in the same boat with the brakes, and I also wanted a longer swingarm, but did not want to spend a fortune on the old beater bike. I put a swingarm off a DRR in it and it works great. Used the same shock I had. Nothing fancy, just an old stock round tube one. Swingarm is longer, stock DRR axle is wider, and it has disc brake. I had the stuff laying around, but most of the DRR take off parts can be had cheap on here or ebay.

DRR swingarm
DRR or similar Carrier
DRR axle w sprocket hub & brake hub/rotor
DRR rear caliper
DRR rear master cylinder- I used the stock hand lever
Hubs- not sure if polaris hubs fit? I used old eton hubs

I can post a pic if you want. Hope that helps ya

2old2race
04-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Does anyone know where I can buy an upgrade kit made for the 90?
I have heard someone makes one.