PDA

View Full Version : I bought a dial a jet any one else have??

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 07:34 AM
I decided to give the dial a jet a try , for the 400ex and for the 300ex and if I like ,I may get for our mini 90cc too... My jetting is good and all, but I guess after reading on it, you get a quicker throddle response ect...Has anyone here ever done a porduct review on this product??? Ill be putting it on my 300ex next week after mt headpipe comes... I would love to get some feedback Thanks..Tina:)

2fastandfurious
02-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Tina I ordered one up too! PLEASE post pics of it when you install it on the 300ex please!!!! I would like to see hoe you installed it! Let me know how it goes. I'm bummed that no one has replyed to this! I am wondering if these things really work........

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by 2fastandfurious
Tina I ordered one up too! PLEASE post pics of it when you install it on the 300ex please!!!! I would like to see hoe you installed it! Let me know how it goes. I'm bummed that no one has replyed to this! I am wondering if these things really work........ WEll I guess I will be one of the first here..lol:p It sounds like a good product and I cant see where it will be a BAD thing, but anyone who has this ,please post your opinions, I really want to get this for the mini 2 stroke for weather and elevation...I will post my pics step by step on installation...

DESDAK4
02-18-2003, 10:51 AM
This is kinda funny. I have one for the wifes quad just sitting on the shelf waiting for me to get the time to install it. It really seems like a good product and I can't wait to see how it works.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

2fastandfurious
02-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Sounds good tina. I think there pretty easy to install. But pics following the steps would help alot!

Porkchop
02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Im thinking of ordering one here soon as some money comes in

Doibugu2
02-18-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by 2fastandfurious
Sounds good tina. I think there pretty easy to install. But pics following the steps would help alot!

Your a disgrace to us men. You have to have a women install a part and take pics for you?:eek:

J/k

Sorry, Tina, I had too.

AtvMxRider
02-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Your a disgrace to us men. You have to have a women install a part and take pics for you?:eek:

J/k

Sorry, Tina, I had too.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHA:blah

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

J/k

Sorry, Tina, I had too. :eek: OH I started the thread here..lmao.... its all good.. I dont think he has a didg cam and I think this would be a great topic on a product review...This will be new to me to, i have no clue about installation just yet, but I think it should be pretty simple but I will need to get a few extra jets for the 400ex;)

2fastandfurious
02-18-2003, 03:02 PM
Its 50/50 in all my relationships! ouch though. That hurt! LMAO! She offered! I also have a digital camera as well :p

northeast400
02-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Has anyone actually used one yet?

TIGER72
02-18-2003, 08:38 PM
MY UNCLE HAS ONE ON HIS WARRIOR, IT MADE A VERY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN THE THROTTLE RESPONSE. WHEN YOU GUN IT, THERE IS NO BOGGING OF THE ENGINE LIKE THERE WAS BEFORE HE INSTALLED IT. MY COUSIN ALSO INSTALLED ONE ON HIS SUCKZUKI Z400, AND HIS HAS ALSO SAID IT MADE THE THROTTLE MORE RESPONSIVE. MY BROTHER PUT ONE ON HIS BEAR TRACKER, HE SAID IT REALLY WOKE HIS QUAD UP. MY UNCLE SAID IT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING, I HAVE ONE IN THE GARAGE THAT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED ON MY 400EX......SOMETIME......

QuadJunkies
02-18-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by TIGER72
MY UNCLE HAS ONE ON HIS WARRIOR, IT MADE A VERY NOTICEABLE DIFFERENCE IN THE THROTTLE RESPONSE. WHEN YOU GUN IT, THERE IS NO BOGGING OF THE ENGINE LIKE THERE WAS BEFORE HE INSTALLED IT. MY COUSIN ALSO INSTALLED ONE ON HIS SUCKZUKI Z400, AND HIS HAS ALSO SAID IT MADE THE THROTTLE MORE RESPONSIVE. MY BROTHER PUT ONE ON HIS BEAR TRACKER, HE SAID IT REALLY WOKE HIS QUAD UP. MY UNCLE SAID IT TAKES ABOUT 20 MINUTES TO INSTALL ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOUR DOING, I HAVE ONE IN THE GARAGE THAT NEEDS TO BE INSTALLED ON MY 400EX......SOMETIME...... Good to hear a positive about the product.. Honda dealer hear said they cant wait to hear how it wokrs for us.. They have heard so much GOOD about it:D

zoom400ex
02-19-2003, 08:49 AM
hiw exactly does it work. i have only seen pictures in magazines.............i might be interested in one if it works good also

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by zoom400ex
hiw exactly does it work. i have only seen pictures in magazines.............i might be interested in one if it works good also Depeding on how troy feels(hes had bronchitis )WE may install his tonight... Ill explain as he goes through it... ZOOM 400ex may I suggest you give Thunder products a call?? The guy there is really nice and he can explain to you all about the product..;) Tina http://www.thunderproducts.com/dial_a_jet.htm

muff
02-19-2003, 09:22 AM
hmm this seems like a nice idea for the person who doesnt like jetting their carb, but does anyone know how it works, its seems to me if you already have good jetting then this product would be kind of useless

as for the quads that "woke up" the power, did they have correct jetting before?

F-16Guy
02-19-2003, 10:00 AM
It's pretty simple. Your main jet is behind (under) the slide, and relies on airflow (velocity) to create a vaccuum over the top of it to draw fuel from the float bowl (venturi principal) when the throttle is open. The draw tube for the dial-a-jet is situated in front (engine side) of the the slide (or butterfly) on your carb. It uses engine vaccuum (manifold vaccuum) to draw fuel into the engine. When your engine is under a heavy load, there is a large amount of manifold vaccuum, which causes the dial-a-jet to supply a metered amount of fuel. When your engine is under a normal or light load, there is very little manifold vaccuum, therefore the dial-a-jet supplies little or no fuel, and the engine relies primarily on the main fuel circuit. The reason you get such good throttle response is because your engine is actually jetted very lean, and the dial-a-jet supplies the extra fuel only when needed. Hope this helps.

airheadedduner
02-19-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
It's pretty simple. Your main jet is behind (under) the slide, and relies on airflow (velocity) to create a vaccuum over the top of it to draw fuel from the float bowl (venturi principal) when the throttle is open. The draw tube for the dial-a-jet is situated in front (engine side) of the the slide (or butterfly) on your carb. It uses engine vaccuum (manifold vaccuum) to draw fuel into the engine. When your engine is under a heavy load, there is a large amount of manifold vaccuum, which causes the dial-a-jet to supply a metered amount of fuel. When your engine is under a normal or light load, there is very little manifold vaccuum, therefore the dial-a-jet supplies little or no fuel, and the engine relies primarily on the main fuel circuit. The reason you get such good throttle response is because your engine is actually jetted very lean, and the dial-a-jet supplies the extra fuel only when needed. Hope this helps.

Thats how a power jet works too.

F-16Guy
02-19-2003, 10:10 AM
Yeah, basically the same thing, but without the solenoid and all of the computer crap.

Doibugu2
02-19-2003, 10:59 AM
Can do you have to have your jetting close before you install this? I am just curious, but if you left your jetting stock, then had engine work done, a new exhaust, and opened the air box, would the dial a jet still work?

F-16Guy
02-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Do your motor work, jet it fat for break in, rejet to where it runs best, and then follow the dia-a-jet instructions (I think they say to go down 3 or 4 sizes on the main). After that, you use the adjustment on the dial-a-jet to fine-tune the jetting.

400ex Magnum
02-19-2003, 11:22 AM
The draw tube for the dial-a-jet is situated in front (engine side) of the the slide (or butterfly) on your carb.

F-16

I have a Dial a Jet on order from RM. Hopefully will get it installed this weekend or next. From the pictures on Thunder Products website, it does appear that the dial a jet is mounted on the engine side of the carb. However, the review that dirt wheels did on it showed the dial a jet situated between the airbox and the carb. Which is it?

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 11:31 AM
Do your motor work, jet it fat for break in, rejet to where it runs best, and then follow the dia-a-jet instructions (I think they say to go down 3 or 4 sizes on the main). After that, you use the adjustment on the dial-a-jet to fine-tune the jetting. I think your close... I think its 2-3 on the main... I cant wait until my head pipe comes ,theis is when I will install mine on the 300ex(head will be here on mon)and I have a full system Yoshi on mine.F-16 GUY thanks for clearing this up ......;)

Sick0
02-19-2003, 11:46 AM
I think I will have to give it a try. Will it work a cfr 39 carb?

F-16Guy
02-19-2003, 12:36 PM
O.K., I went back and looked at the diagram, and I think I'm wrong (partly, atleast). It does go on the airbox side. It looks like an additional main circuit, but emulsifies the fuel before introducing it into the carb. It does work from manifold vaccuum and not venturi, though. Sorry for talking out my *****.

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 01:34 PM
O.K., I went back and looked at the diagram, and I think I'm wrong (partly, atleast). It does go on the airbox side. It looks like an additional main circuit, but emulsifies the fuel before introducing it into the carb. It does work from manifold vaccuum and not venturi, though. Sorry for talking out my *****. MAy I add to this, that I was told you should also buy a snorkel to this when ordering too..:) THis will help keep jets free from dirt and sand ect... I think I paid 8.99 for mine...;)

DESDAK4
02-19-2003, 06:51 PM
Well I got mine installed tonight and I am not sure what to think. Do to the way the airtube meets the carb on my wifes Trailblazer I had to install the DJ on the air tube. Now on this quad with it's mods Hot Seat says to run a 140 main jet at my level and with the temps between 60 and 90 degrees so according to DJ I need a 110 which would be super lean in the 30 degree weather I just rode it in and the quad ran awsome with no signs of lean that I could tell. However when running it in the garage I could not see any fuel in the DJ line nor do I know if you are supposed to. So after you all get yours installed please give feedback so I am sure I have it right. I hope I do because the quad ran good and should have been lean.

Thanks
Jay
USAF
AMMO

SnotMe80
02-19-2003, 07:27 PM
how much is this?

muff
02-19-2003, 07:46 PM
$60-70 range, i saw it at www.rockymountainatv.com

QuadJunkies
02-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by muff
$60-70 range, i saw it at www.rockymountainatv.com THis is where I bought mine from.;) WE were going to work on the 400ex tonight, but Troy is down sick so he will hopefully do his in a few days when he gets to feeling better....

Leo
02-20-2003, 03:44 AM
It uses engine vaccuum (manifold vaccuum) to draw fuel into the engine. When your engine is under a heavy load, there is a large amount of manifold vaccuum, which causes the dial-a-jet to supply a metered amount of fuel. When your engine is under a normal or light load, there is very little manifold vaccuum, therefore the dial-a-jet supplies little or no fuel, and the engine relies primarily on the main fuel circuit.

Not to be crude, but that's complete BS...

An engine under heavy load has very little manifold vac, but a large amount of air passing through the carb (hence the venturi effect / main jet / etc..).. At WOT + heavy load I'd expect to see 0 inches of vac.

An engine at idle has large amounts of manifold vac..

Don't believe me? Hook a vac gauge to your intake on your car / truck / motorcycle / airplane / etc... (any IC engine) in front of the throttle blade, drive it and watch the gauge.

:(

Leo

400ex Magnum
02-20-2003, 06:05 AM
Ok, I got my dial a jet last night and I leafed through the directions, and it does go on the carb or on the air boot on the airbox side of the carb. If someone gets one installed, take some pics of where you put it. Dirt wheels put it on the airboot itself, but the directions say that you can also tap the bell housing on the carb and put it on there. If someone could let us know where they decided to put it, that would be appreciated.

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 06:28 AM
I had to put mine on the airtube of the Trailblazer because of how it meets the carb. My only worry is just running it in my garage I could not see any fuel in the line and the DJ body is at a up and down angle on the airboot because of it's shape so I am not sure if I have it right or not but I did what the directions say and the quad ran great even thou it should have been super lean.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

400ex Magnum
02-20-2003, 09:56 AM
DESDAK

From reading the tech article in thunder products website, it says that you will not see fuel flowing through the tube by putting the bike up on blocks and giving it gas. It says that you need to be under a load for the dial a jet to call for gas because of the lean condition.

Doibugu2
02-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Has anybody forwarded this link to Thunder Products website? If this product works as good as they say, and they had someone come on here and give some good feedback, I would think this would sell like hot cakes. How many threads do we have about jetting?

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Thanks I have just been to busy to do the research today. I can tell you my quad ran good and should have been lean so I think it is wroking good.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

Doibugu2
02-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Has anyone sent this thread to thunder products? If this product is as good as they say, and they had someone come here and answer questions. They could make a mint selling this. How many threads do we have about jetting?

Evan
02-20-2003, 10:38 AM
JMO, maybe you all can prove me wrong, but my opinion is this is one of those products that looks great on paper and should work but in reality its merely gimmick.

airheadedduner
02-20-2003, 10:49 AM
Yeah, basically the same thing, but without the solenoid and all of the computer crap.

Some of the older roadrace powerjet carbs where completly mechanical(I think :rolleyes: )

One thing I would be worried about is the dial-a-jets "jet" size. How compareable is it to a std keihin or mukuni jet size??

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by X-Rider
JMO, maybe you all can prove me wrong, but my opinion is this is one of those products that looks great on paper and should work but in reality its merely gimmick. Im calling THunder rt now and see if I can get him on here...I think this product is a good thing...:)

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 11:21 AM
I just got off with Thunder products and they would love to join this thread, but we need to get permission form Ben first... this could cause a problem as far as "advertisement"So Ill try and get ahold of him first..:)

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I just got off with Thunder products and they would love to join this thread, but we need to get permission form Ben first... this could cause a problem as far as "advertisement"So Ill try and get ahold of him first..:) I just got ahold of a Mod, and gave us the OK:) Im sending them the link .they should be on here shortly...;)

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 11:30 AM
Great, I do believe it helped my quad but I will not know until I get some real ride time. If they get in here it will be nice to get some info from the people who make it.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

brokeitin3
02-20-2003, 11:41 AM
just ask me, ive ran this thing backward, forward, and upside down through water mud and about everything you can throw at it. once installed, you should see fuel in the tube at the same level as your float. one way to make sure it is working is to ride the quad with the seat off. start off in second gear hold it wide open. you should see fuel draw all the way up the tube . if not you either got it to rich or the lines are not connected properly. another way to tell is, if you move the dial-a-jet thru all 5 positions and dont see any change in performance (good or bad) which most likely means you are still running rich. :blah im not saying im an expert i just know what has worked for me

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
just ask me, ive ran this thing backward, forward, and upside down through water mud and about everything you can throw at it. once installed, you should see fuel in the tube at the same level as your float. one way to make sure it is working is to ride the quad with the seat off. start off in second gear hold it wide open. you should see fuel draw all the way up the tube . if not you either got it to rich or the lines are not connected properly. another way to tell is, if you move the dial-a-jet thru all 5 positions and dont see any change in performance (good or bad) which most likely means you are still running rich. :blah im not saying im an expert i just know what has worked for me This is a good person to talk to ,he is the one that reffered this to me:D :D

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 11:46 AM
I have one question for you. Does it matter if the DJ body is sitting flat or can it slant forward or backward at all?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

400ex Magnum
02-20-2003, 11:52 AM
just ask me, ive ran this thing backward, forward, and upside down through water mud and about everything you can throw at it. once installed, you should see fuel in the tube at the same level as your float.

broke - Can you take pictures of where you mounted it? Did you mount it on the air intake tube or the carb bell housing? One last question, did you have to drill and tap the float bowl or did the fitting screw right into the existing hole?

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 12:00 PM
I will try and get some pictures of min on here tonight when I get home from work.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

brokeitin3
02-20-2003, 02:01 PM
the line that attaches to the float bowl just replaces the drain screw. if not just drill it out and tap it to a 10-32 thread. mine had to be mounted in the air tube but i would reccomend installing on the bell of the carb if possible, reason being just so you dont keep disconnecting the hose to the dial a jet when you remove the carb or the airbox

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 04:15 PM
We are now starting to install this in the 400ex tonight.. I talked to them over to Thunder Products... Not sure if they got the llink or not...:confused: here is there email if you want to get them over here ,maybe enough of us emailing them,they will see howmuch we want them hear to tell us about there product..;) tpinc@meltel.net

Ralph
02-20-2003, 04:30 PM
i sent him an e-mail...

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 04:32 PM
I am sorry for the bad pics but it was cold and I was in a hurry but I am sure you guys will get the just of what was done here.

This is the DJ body with snorkle installed.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Float Bowl

That is really it. I do think maybe my line is a little long but I wanted to have room to work with as I get it perfect.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:35 PM
The installation was actually very simple..We cant do an accuarate plug reading untl tomorrow becuse we dont have a new plug yet, but here are a few pics of the product as its being installed... here is where we chose to install it on the 400ex

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:39 PM
This is the new fitting a longer brass bowl fitting hex nut that replaces the old..

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:41 PM
We choose the strap mount instead of the Pro mount

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:43 PM

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:44 PM
another angle shot of the dial a jet in

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:45 PM
The snorkel

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 05:46 PM
heres a pic of what the snorkel looks like...

DESDAK4
02-20-2003, 08:24 PM
The DJ body is supossed to have the brass fitting pointing up or flat and the brass fitting is supposed to go in the bottom of the float bowl in the cap over the main jet. That is what my directions told me. I am woundering if you got some other info with yours.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
02-20-2003, 09:10 PM
Thunder products has just responded to my letter to them about this product and just registed at the site here.We shold be hearing from them momentarily....:)

QuadJunkies
02-21-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
The DJ body is supossed to have the brass fitting pointing up or flat and the brass fitting is supposed to go in the bottom of the float bowl in the cap over the main jet. That is what my directions told me. I am woundering if you got some other info with yours.

Jay
USAF
AMMO WEre you referring to one of my pics?? I didnt see in my directions about that:huh ..LOL.. maybe we do have dif directions.:p I noticed my 300ex kit has dif directions, but its the same model number on the dial a jet... It seemed easy to install..if I put it on correct:p .. Hopefully Thunder will post on here today...;)

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 07:48 AM
Yeah I believe the dial-a-jet body is supposed to have the fuel inlet either pointing up or horizontal not down. I am not sure about the float bowl as I am not even sure if mine is correct in that case:confused:

Jay
USAF
AMMO

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 07:58 AM
Ok I just went and looked at a couple parts breakdowns and the 400ex does have a drain screw there that does work for the fitting so I am sorry I was wrong there. My Trailblazer does not have this so I had to drill and tap the bolt on the bottom of the bowl.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

brokeitin3
02-21-2003, 08:16 AM
the trailblazer carb is somewhat different to handa carbs. if you thought it was easy installing the dial-a-jet, then wait till your wife has to have one of the 2 throttle cables replaced

QuadJunkies
02-21-2003, 08:18 AM
the trailblazer carb is somewhat different to handa carbs. if you thought it was easy installing the dial-a-jet, the wait till your wife has to have one of the 2 throttle cables replaced So, in my pic, does it look right? Im going to Honda to get a few jets for mine (because of head pipe installation next week) and some new plugs..Hoping the dial a jet is running right for the flattrack race tomorrow:confused:

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 08:25 AM
Yeah I know the carbs are actually very different 4 stroke and 2 stroke and all I just didn't realize the EX had that drain screw on the side there.

QuadJunkies, the only thing I see now that might be a problem on yours is the body its self may need turned so that the fuel inlet is pointing the other direction or up from were you have it.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
02-21-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by DESDAK4
Yeah I know the carbs are actually very different 4 stroke and 2 stroke and all I just didn't realize the EX had that drain screw on the side there.

QuadJunkies, the only thing I see now that might be a problem on yours is the body its self may need turned so that the fuel inlet is pointing the other direction or up from were you have it.

Jay
USAF
AMMO WE just got off the phone with DJ and it looks like we have everything right..whew.. but it needed to have the tip of the choke snipped off, for the time being ,until he can get the OK from Ben to post on hereHe registered,but still needs Ben approval) go ahead and email him direct with any questions you may have on product info or installation;)

QuadJunkies
02-21-2003, 03:40 PM
tpinc@meltel.net here is is again in case you dont see it in the page prior...:)

thunder product
02-21-2003, 04:06 PM
ATV Sport Magazine and Dirt Wheels Magazine have both done reviews and both used the Honda 400EX. You can read their reviews on our website: www.thunderproducts.com.

thunder product
02-21-2003, 04:19 PM
The Dial-A-Jet can be mounted anywhere between the 3:00 and 9:00 position if you look at the intake of your carb as a clock face. It cannot, however be turned into or out of the air flow. The end of the brass delivery tube needs to be perpendicular to the air flow or it will get a weaker signal to deliver fuel.

AtvMxRider
02-21-2003, 04:52 PM
Welcome to EXRIDERS Thunder Product.

DESDAK4
02-21-2003, 05:20 PM
Your directions say the fuel inlet on the DJ body needs to be horizontal or pointing up not down correct?

Jay
USAF
AMMO

RUFIO
02-21-2003, 05:29 PM
hi

yellow400ex0102
02-21-2003, 07:08 PM
does the dial jet work on the stock carberator(cant spell) or do you have to have a modifided one?

trickex250
02-21-2003, 08:38 PM
it will work on the stocker..... good thread guys ive tryed to get info about this before with no success i have yet to install mine

Evan
02-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Read this (http://pub20.ezboard.com/fhondatrx250rhopupsaddons.showMessage?topicID=823. topic)

Theres some useful info there. Not trying to discourage anyone, but it sounds like yes they work, but there is no noticable performance gain.

thunder product
02-22-2003, 12:18 PM
I am trying to catch up with all of the messages on this string, so forgive me if I have missed any. If I do, just repeat them and we will anser those questions also. In our earlier directions, we stated that the fuel inlet that goes into the Dial-A-Jet should point up or to the side. This is the best case scenerio. If the fuel barb is pointing down, you lose some response time of about 3 to 4/100's of a second. Does this make much difference? Probably not that you could ever notice. We took this out of the most recent instructions because it is one of those things that no-one would probably notice. So.. if you have an exxtra 3 to 4/100's of a second to wait, mounting the fuel inlet tube down is just fine.

thunder product
02-22-2003, 12:24 PM
One other thing that I saw mentioned is that the Dial-A-Jet sounds much like a power jet. The power jet delivers raw liquid fuel from 7/8 throttle and up (only on the very top end). The Dial-A-Jet delivers pre-atomized fuel. This allows it to work from just below 1/4 throttle and up. A much larger range plus the pre-atomized fuel is more instantly usable in your carburetor. The pre-atomized fuel fills in all of the lean spots in your carburetor and therefore give you a very consistent charge.

thunder product
02-22-2003, 12:51 PM
The Dial-A-Jet fuel signal is produced from 3 things: Airflow through the carburetor, accoustic sound signal, and engine vaccuum. For a more detail explaination, please refer to the technical article on our web site.

thunder product
02-22-2003, 01:04 PM
Evan: I could write a book on performance evaluation using the Dial-A-Jet, but we'll keep the answer short. First of all, we have been on hundreds of world record holding snowmobiles and motorcycles. We are relatively new in the ATV business, however, an engine is an engine. The better a machine is dialed in to start with, the smaller the gain potential and we realize that there are a lot of good tuners out there.
Next would be performance evaluation method. You can't rrely on your 501 Levi dyno to tell you everything. We have been fooled many times by running a seemingly faster setup against a set of digital timers or a test mule machine. 2/10 of a second in a 600 foot drag race can mean 2 to 3 machine lengths.
The jetting you have currently with standard main jets is good for a particular temperature or altitude range. When your temperature or altitude changes, is when the Dial-A-Jet will come in handy for a performance increase without having to change main jets to regain your performance.

DESDAK4
02-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info it is really cool to have you come on here and help us out it may just get me to buy this product for my EX also. Well after all of this I am feeling pretty good about having mine right. It is running good when it should be very lean and all so I am happy and satisfied that it is working as designed.

Thunder Products,

Should you be able to see fuel in the line just revving the quad in the garage or what how do you tell for sure that the fuel is moving like it is supposed to?

Thanks Again
Jay
USAF
AMMO

thunder product
02-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Jay: No you will not be able to see the fuel go up the line when you are free revving the engine. The engine needs to be loaded by virtue of having the rear wheels on the ground or on a dyno. If the Dial-A-Jet were to feed fuel when revving the engine, you would be over-fueled. The fuel line never fills completely. The fuel goes up the wall of the fuel line in a sheeting action.

DESDAK4
02-22-2003, 07:41 PM
Cool thanks for all the help. Like I said the quad seems to run fine so I will see. My wife doesn't ride when it is cold so it may be awhile before I get to really test it.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

QuadJunkies
02-23-2003, 01:29 AM
Well, we personally arent having the same results..:( WE simlpy could not get ours to run well at all and after several attempts to get it running good, decided to take it off because of the flattrack race for tonight so its put back inot the original setting.(170 main,K &N open air box)WE jetted down from a 170 to a 155 under your phone instructions,and we reverified when we called you to make sure this was correct, the quad ran BEYOND lean on every setting,and it was leaking fuel out of the DJ body before and after turing the set screw down, WE did NOT over tightened or Re-tap threads...We heard from a friend who also tried this that when trying to do wheelies causes quad to flood out:confused: ..We were sure hoping for better rasults on this, I am now leary on installing the one I have for my 300ex now because i am putting on a full system and K&N and open air box myself this week... Even if I was to re-rty to install, WE had to cut off the strap ..Good luck guys and hope the product turns out like it did for most others...

thunder product
02-25-2003, 09:52 AM
There is no reason that fuel should be coming out of the Dial-A-Jet (other than just moisture on the Dial Face) unless there is pressure of some sort. Lonn can help you figure out what is happening. Please give him a call and he can help you.

brokeitin3
02-25-2003, 10:52 AM
on a 250ex and its by far the best mod engine wise ive made.

QuadJunkies
02-25-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by thunder product
There is no reason that fuel should be coming out of the Dial-A-Jet (other than just moisture on the Dial Face) unless there is pressure of some sort. Lonn can help you figure out what is happening. Please give him a call and he can help you. WE alresady talked to Lonn about it,and he said it was all put on correctly...But its only obvious something is NOT right..;) .Im glad that you and Lonn come on here as guests to explain your product,I think this topic turned out to be a very good thread, I personally am not happy with my results,but have heard others that love it... I hope all this info helps those on here get there quads running at peak performance...:)

speedjunkie
02-25-2003, 11:29 AM
Thunder products

I live at about 2800 feet, but I go to the dunes a lot and it is about 200 feet. Will this product a eliminate re-jetting at the dunes. I run a 170 at home and a 200 at the dunes(sounds like huge jump but I have to to keep from running hot even in 60 degree weather) What about the flooding out that was mentioned by Quadjunkies? Is this just incorrect float settings, or is this directly related to your product? I havent bought one yet, but if you can convince me.....

tants
02-25-2003, 11:54 AM
dial a jet avable for 2strokes? (250r) :confused:

QuadJunkies
02-25-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by speedjunkie
Thunder products

I live at about 2800 feet, but I go to the dunes a lot and it is about 200 feet. Will this product a eliminate re-jetting at the dunes. I run a 170 at home and a 200 at the dunes(sounds like huge jump but I have to to keep from running hot even in 60 degree weather) What about the flooding out that was mentioned by Quadjunkies? Is this just incorrect float settings, or is this directly related to your product? I havent bought one yet, but if you can convince me..... Your jetting is what we run on our 400ex here in Idaho..This is why I wanted this product,was for the dunes..Our dunes are 5000 elevation..The flooding come from a friend that had the product,not sure of the ins and outs for all we know he may heve put it on wrong i dont know..My jetting is right on, just thought it would be good to have for the elevations we ride in...

AtvMxRider
02-25-2003, 01:56 PM
Tina sorry it didn't work out for you guys.:(

thunder product
02-25-2003, 05:54 PM
We have used the Dial-A-Jets for the last 10 years on snowmobiles (2 strokes) with alot of success. We also run it on 2 stroke ATV's and dirt bikes. It works the same, however, the kits are different.

northeast400
02-25-2003, 06:52 PM
I don't know the product sounds good, the thread has a lot of info , but I must say I am still a little unsure about it. I am not very good at jetting so It sounds great, I don't know if I would bet my motor on it? I think the only way to tell though is to try it and see:confused:

thunder product
02-26-2003, 09:23 PM
The Dial-A-Jet is designed to pull air through the air correction circuit in the Dial. When the Snorkel line is installed in the air box like yours is, the air flow is reversed, pulling fuel out of the Dial. It must be removed from the air box.
The air box is designed to be a tuning aid for your engine. When the lid is removed or the air box is otherwise radically altered, you lose a great deal of the engineering that went into the running quality of the engine. If you contact me, I will be happy to supply you with a great article written by Kevin Cameron on the subject. Kevin is often hired by American Honda to write about technical features of their products.
This is not to say that some gains cannot be achieved by modifying an air box, as some are overly restrictive, usually due to EPA regulations. The problem with an air box with little or no restriction is that the engine can easily draw in the air supply, however, there is not enough restriction to draw the fuel through the carburetor. There is too little vacuum (pressure drop) left to suck the fuel through the carb and into the engine. A good analogy would be drinking a soda through a straw. Now put a hole in the side of that straw. You must now suck harder to get the same amount of soda. The larger you make the hole, the easier it is to get air and the harder it is to get soda. Your engine has the same problem drawing fuel.
When all the restriction is removed from your intake tract, your engine will require much larger jets because it is easier to draw liquid (gas) through a larger oriface than a smaller one. Fact, not opinion, your engine will not be able to draw and atomize fuel as well and will be fussier about jetting for temperature and altitude changes. The design engineers knew what they were doing when they designed the air box and left a certain amount of restriction. The intake system from the air box through the carburetor and into the engine is probably the most universally misunderstood area of performance tuning.
Call me any morning and I will help you with your carburetion questions or problems.

honda270ex
05-19-2003, 11:50 AM
I just boght a dial-a-jet and im wondering if u need to change the stock jets if i want to put on a header and silencer. it should be here in the next couple days. and i also ordered the snorkel kit and i dont know how to do most of this stuff so help me out. thanx

quader400
05-19-2003, 12:15 PM
alright im lost. how much is it. what does it do. and any other info would be appriciated. does it like change size by it self or is it even a jet im so lost thanks for any help.

blasterkiller14
07-28-2004, 09:25 AM
I have a relativly stock 250x, with a K&N Powerfilter, removed airbox lid and a HMF silencer on the way. I want to get the dial-a-jet because my bike has crappy throttle response and I know it is running lean, I still use the same stock jets. I have never tinkered with the carb before. If I install the dial-a-jet will it help any? Will I have to change the jets because I dont really know what Iim doing. I dont want to mess my carb up and have my dad pissed off at me. Thanks.

JDiablo
07-28-2004, 09:35 AM
i went to go order one at my local honda dealer....i showed them what i was talking about and they started laughing at me telling me,that if the line falls off or w/e it will ruin my engine and were still laughing,so i asked him wats so funny...he goes you and this dial a jet thing...man i got so pist at him,i told him to go *** himself and left...stupid *** dealer:grr: :mad:

300exPat
07-28-2004, 10:23 AM
does this really flood the engine doing wheelies?? just wondering, i was thinking about gettin one

trickex250
08-07-2004, 10:53 PM
Yeah i could use an answer to that question too. I noticed whenever i would stop my wheeler would stall and then it seemed flooded. once i got tired of it i just ripped the tube of the dialajet off of the bottom of my carb. Now it works fine. Did i have it hooked up wrong or does this happen alot? From all i could tell thats how the instructions said to do it but they didnt seem real clear either.

BlueZ440
08-08-2004, 08:00 AM
my dial-a-jet it's been working fine. I have a z440 and I used vp ultimate 4 and I need it to re-jet and all I did was turn the dial a jet..I luv it

UrBz 250X
04-03-2005, 08:05 PM
DOES IT FLOOD WHEN DOING WHEELIES????????????? SORRY BOUT THE CAPS THE BUTTON IS STUCK