PDA

View Full Version : 12 tooth on 300ex

jgray
02-18-2003, 07:17 AM
I am considering fabriating a case saver for my 300. But I think I will need a 12 tooth sprocket for room and clearances. What will be the affect of adding a 12 up c/s and keep the 38 rear. To keep stock gearing, what would the rear become? and what are some advantages of the different gearing methods.
I am just trying to figure out if I want to go thru the trouble of a case saver or not. I have already broken the tab of where the c/s cover mounts. I want some added protection.
I was also told that a older (250x) case saver wold better then the 300ex case saver. Is this true ??

Thanks
Jason

tprender
02-19-2003, 08:25 PM
Most people are putting on a 14T on the front. By putting on the 12 you will have no top end of any kind. the 13 is stock. To stay the same with a 12 you will ned about a 34 or 35 rear.

ATCRYDER
02-20-2003, 04:55 PM
Why take away top end that the EX already doesnt have?

Just go on ebay and buy yourself a REAL casesaver for udner $15 and run the sprocket that is correct for you.

jgray
02-21-2003, 05:22 AM
tprender:
Thanks for your input. Greatly appriciated !! I thought I would be loosing alot if not all of my top end. Are 34 or 35 tooth sprockets available ??

ATCRYDER:
Incase you haven't read my sig. I have a 300ex, there are no REAL casesavers for me. Unless you are referring to the stock one. Which I don't think is REAL. I would buy one if one was available.

tprender
02-21-2003, 12:18 PM
When I had my 250X I just used the inner part as a case saver. It worked very good. I would use that and stay with the stock sprokets in the rear. If you try to go smaller in the rear you might not be able to get a stell and have to get alumium. the steel will last 3 to 4 times longer than any alimium rear sproket. the weight saying and unsprung weight is nothing but talk.
Put a 14 on the front and a 38 on the rear and go riding.