PDA

View Full Version : warranty

ALXKFX450R
04-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Is it worth it to buy the warranty? I'm probly just gonna throw a pipe and intake on it as far as the motor is concerned. Would that void my warranty? Any of you guys deal with a dealership about any warranty issues? How was it?

BradLoomis
04-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I have an 09 450SX with 7 hrs on it, in the dealership with motor problems. They tore it down and found the piston worn down .005" and the bottom ring nearly ground all of the way in two. The dealership reported no sediment in the carb thoat or head to the warranty company. They will have an answer for them on Monday. I will post on here what the outcome is.

IdahoMX
04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Ktm warranty sucks. 30 days and it may or may not be covered. The factory is non responsive at best. Quad is built well on the xc side but the sx side is another story. Motor on the sx is far less then bullet proof and parts are expensive. I bought a xc and widened it out and so far I am happy with it other then a few problems. When I got mine I wanted somthing that not everyone else had and thats what I got, Flip side is its a little harder to find parts but still with in reason.

SIDCON
06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
The biggest problem for bad engines on these is the clutch discs have a very high excess of discharge. Change them out for the honda brand crf 450 plates as soon as possible and definatly change your oil after every other ride and clean your air filter every ride. I use Rotella full synthetic at only $20 per gallon and has always worked for me for years in all my quads. last time i checked my meter its approaching 60 hours and I have had not one problem with it (except for jetting when I first bought it). Also these run lean on the bottom so re-jetting is highly recomended. I will be doing a piston and ring soon (stock compression, 13:1 are very short lived) just for good measure. also check out Kiwi's thread about must do's on ktmhq.http://www.ktmatvhq.com/forum/invision/index.php?showtopic=6881

Ive done them all before using the quad including the carb vent hose filter and had 0 problems. I also bought a 3 or 4 year warrenty (cant remember off hand) that was offered at the dealership and havent had to use it yet. Knock on wood. Also this has been strictly a mx track bike and havent been in any harsh elements. I have to say the sx is an incredible quad, Ive had them all and this is by far the best out there in my opinion. They are reliable with the upgrades in the thread i posted. Hope this helps any