PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum welding rods

One_Bad_400
04-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Ok so i don't have access to an AC tig welder at the moment and need to do some aluminum work. I've seen this stuff that you can buy and use a normal hand held torch to melt this aluminum rod. The video shows the guy doing a coke can and also an engine block or something. I'm about to lose my mind trying to remember what the name of this stuff is. help me out

CJM
04-06-2011, 10:37 PM
I have it and used it before.

-The coke can thing, I tried both mapp and propane, it burned thru the can before I could get the rod to work to well. I musta tried like 10x with same results. I followed the steps online too.

-I tried to braze (its not welding, your not melting the base metal) 2 pieces of AL together. This worked ok, maybe I didnt do a good enough job but they sure werent as strong as in the video

-I did successfully use the rod to fill in holes, works well for that and I liked it for that use.

-I tried to repair my friends atv head using the bolt method they show. I couldnt get the bolt uin there with it hot, maybe you need an extra set of hands. I tried to just melt some in and then tap it- it didnt want to adhere-maybe the oil in the head (he had previously assembled it and used oil to lube the bolts). It would hold till I wanted to drill and tap it or grind it flush-came right out.

-Im annoyed I bought it, I spent my money on the HTS 2000 brand and besides getting a video and steel wire brush my buddy bought the same stuff at harbor freight for like 10 bucks.

Dont waste your cash on the stuff online.

250x_kyle
04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
i cant think of the name of it either. i know what your talking about. ill shoot my buddy a text he had some for a while.

hawaiiysr
04-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Alumaloy something like that

jcs003
04-07-2011, 01:52 AM
i used it to weld a crack in an aluminum swingarm. i had to use a torch with a small wand(whatever its called) i had to get it very hot. but in the end it worked. and with practice im sure it would of looked nicer.

hts2000 and there are other types out there.

protraxrptr17
04-07-2011, 07:54 AM
i use some stuff called AL 822 when i need to fix a radiator or something really thin and hard to reach. The manufacturer is called Lucas Milhaupt. I have never used it on something thick.

quad2xtreme
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
no luck using it for me either.

http://www.aluminumrepair.com/

Ruby Soho
04-07-2011, 02:46 PM
i havent heard much good about it

wilkin250r
04-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ruby Soho
i havent heard much good about it

I'll admit, I've never tried this aluminum rod. But I know quite a few people that can't weld worth a crap, that doesn't mean the welding rod they were using is a bad product....

CJM
04-07-2011, 04:32 PM
The main problem is you arent welding with this stuff, your brazing and since rod will melt-but nothing like they show in the videos

Like I said, best use I found for it was filling in holes on certain things