PDA

View Full Version : case saver bolt broke? what do i do!!!!

farmer250r
04-06-2011, 09:15 PM
i have a 87 trx250r.i was taking off my case saver to look at the condison of it and the top bolt broke!!! after my little freak out,i was wondering what i should do? the bottom bolt hole has already been f-up by the last owner and im not runing the bike without a case saver.and info or help would be great.thanks

JoePA
04-06-2011, 09:42 PM
The one on mine is broke too and I believe you have to split the case to remove it. Hopefully it didn't break off lush with the case when you split it.

cdrookie
04-07-2011, 05:35 AM
get a small, long, left hand drill bit and it'll probably come right out

rayman375
04-07-2011, 09:03 AM
I would try an easy out.

Ruf Racing
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
get a small, long, left hand drill bit and it'll probably come right out

This is a good idea, if you can find a left handed drill bit. Besides, if you want to use a easy out, you'll have to drill a hole also.
Good luck. :)

wilkin250r
04-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Depending on how it broke off, a left-hand drill bit might be a problem. Rarely do bolts twist off leaving a nice, smooth center section that won't cause the drill bit to walk.

If the bolt was at the surface he could control it, but not down into the cases. I see the drill bit wandering off center and chewing up sidewalls (or threads) around the bolt.

I think you're splitting the cases, my friend.

250Rhonda
04-07-2011, 02:23 PM
IF you can go the easy-out route make sure you lightly heat the case to get the aluminum to expand and spray it with some penetrating oil. Good Luck

bigE28
04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
if you have a TIG welder or know of someone who has one you could probably build up the weld high enough to TIG a nut on the bolt and use a wrench to take it off. i have done this to bolts on exhaust manifolds. just an idea tho.

dtowndiesel
04-07-2011, 05:05 PM
I had the same problem a few years back......I broke a bolt off in the lower case saver mounting hole.

I tried the EZ-out method, but you have to have surgeon like precision to drill a hole in that little 8mm bolt. I did a pretty fair job of centering and drilling the hole but the EZ-out still wouldn't retract the broken bolt.

I took it to a machine shop and they milled the bolt out and dropped a heli coil in for me, it cost me $20 and it was just as good as new. I should have spent the $20 before I even messed with trying an EZ-out.

For the top bolt, like everyone else is saying, your going to have to split your cases.

Have fun!

farmer250r
04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
the hell with that.im not spliting the cases for 1 lil 8mm bolt.ill pull the motor,sell it and make it a 450 hybrid!

red88r
04-07-2011, 07:18 PM
How much? I work on crap like that all day at work.:D

01shee
04-07-2011, 07:23 PM
I would leave the broken bolt in there and just tap the hole for a bigger bolt. Im sure you could get a 3" bolt in there

K-Dub
04-07-2011, 09:15 PM
If you can get another bolt started atleast a couple threads

1st get an 8mm butter bolt and drill a small hole through the center of it

2nd screw that bolt into the hole

3rd drill through that bolt into the broken off bolt, it will guide the bit and keep it from walking off

4th get a bit the size as a 8mm tap calls for to tap a new hole. Drill the rest of the broken bolt out with this bit and it shouldnt hurt the threads in the case cause it is just the right size not to damage the threads and the pilot hole we already drilled in the broken bolt will guide us down the center.

5th take an 8mm tap and clean the threads out in the case and you should be ready to go.

89rwfo
04-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by farmer250r
the hell with that.im not spliting the cases for 1 lil 8mm bolt.ill pull the motor,sell it and make it a 450 hybrid!

Seriously..... It is not that hard to split the cases, way easier than mounting a anchor to your 250R frame. Fix it right dont cobble it up jeeez

wilkin250r
04-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub
1st get an 8mm butter bolt and drill a small hole through the center of it

I'm not so sure. If it was the lower bolt, yeah, but the upper bolt is like 4 inches long. I don't think he's going to be able to just drill a hole through the center of it that easily.

wilkin250r
04-08-2011, 01:10 PM
You know what, though. I'm thinking it just might be possible.

Forget trying to drill a hole through a bolt to use as a guide. Get something that already HAS a hole through it. I'm thinking like a roll pin.

http://www.mrksales.net/images/bt20104_bt.jpg

You would need one large enough to get a drill bit through, and probably longer than the hole is deep (so you can't push it in all the way, there's still enough sticking out to get a hold of it and pull it out).

And you'll need a left-hand drill bit small enough to fit inside the roll pin. THAT will likely do the trick.