PDA

View Full Version : +4 stroker questions???

farmer250r
04-06-2011, 09:12 PM
i have a 87 250r.im looking to get alittle more power.as of now its bored .30 over,boysen reeds,ported,fmf fatty pipe,and a few other little add ons
a friend of mine has a 86,and he said you can do a +4 stroker with a 87 crank,spacer plate and 86 piston.
what do i do? i have a 87,do i just need a 86 piston and spacer plate to make it a +4?

C-LEIGH RACING
04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Quite a bit more to it than just changing the piston & by the cylinder having already been ported for a STD stroke crank, after you install the stroker crank & then port the cylinder to match up with the stroke, it will turn that engine into a drag port engine.

Do you want to use that engine for drag ??, if not then the stroker cranks not the way to go.
Neil

wilkin250r
04-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Do you want to use that engine for drag ??, if not then the stroker cranks not the way to go.
Neil

And I don't want to "correct" Neil, because he knows his engines. I just want to clarify his advice.

A stroker crank will turn THAT engine into a drag engine. If it has already been ported for a standard crank, if you throw a stroker into it and get it re-ported, a drag porting is your only option left.

However, you could always get a new cylinder that HASN'T been ported, and set it up with a stroker crank to be any type of engine you want, you're not limited to a drag race porting anymore.

A stroker crank isn't just a drop-in modification. You need to get your cylinder ported specifically for it. And one of the problems people don't understand is that you often cannot use your existing ported cylinder because it has already been cut in certain areas, you can't add that metal back in. The only solution is to cut other areas even more to make everything match up, and you're left with a hi-rev drag racing engine.