PDA

View Full Version : overheating?

tjsdaname
04-06-2011, 07:29 PM
water pump is good. jetting is perfect.

it overheats within 15mins of riding and sprays fluid everywhere...

what are some of the causes?

eastside 400
04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
clogged radiator, blown head gasket, stuck closed thermostat

DnB_racing
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
clogged radiator, blown head gasket, stuck closed thermostat you forgot bad radiator cap also

400exrider707
04-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Swap the cap with a buddies or someone else to test it. As for the thermostat, take it out and put it in a pot of boiling water, if it opens, it's good, if not, replace it. Those are two easy tests you can do right now that wont cost you anything.

tjsdaname
04-07-2011, 11:50 AM
got it figured out. I bought this quad used off of a guy who had a hotcams stage 2 cam and a pro circuit pipe installed, and jetted by the honda dealer.

I got a stock exhaust and put it on to keep it quiet. turns out it had a 125RD main jet and a 48RD pilot jet, dont know what the RD means but I put a 48 keihin pilot in it and a 118 keihin main in it and it runs nice and cool now...

does anyone know what the RD means?

DnB_racing
04-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by tjsdaname
got it figured out. I bought this quad used off of a guy who had a hotcams stage 2 cam and a pro circuit pipe installed, and jetted by the honda dealer.

I got a stock exhaust and put it on to keep it quiet. turns out it had a 125RD main jet and a 48RD pilot jet, dont know what the RD means but I put a 48 keihin pilot in it and a 118 keihin main in it and it runs nice and cool now...

does anyone know what the RD means? im not sure about rd
but 118 seams very very lean, what type of air filter and is the lid off?

tjsdaname
04-07-2011, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
im not sure about rd
but 118 seams very very lean, what type of air filter and is the lid off?

it has a UNI filter but the lid is on, the only thing that is done to this quad is the hotcam stage 2 cam. and that should not affect jetting..

I am trying to keep this quad ad quiet as possible.. lol already get the cops called on us enough..

airmobile101
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
RD is a cheap Keihin knock off jet! DO NOT USE THOSE!!!!!! Trust me, I went thru this crap with my sons TRX90! Can't remember the exact details, but I know the stock needle or after market needle will not sit in the same position as a Keihin with a stock or aftermarket needle. I'm thinking the RD run on the lean side, but qoute me on that!

eastside 400
04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
rich will usually not make it run hot, lean will run hot. i think you still have a problem if it is actually overheating. what makes you think it was overheating in the first place?

tjsdaname
04-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by eastside 400
rich will usually not make it run hot, lean will run hot. i think you still have a problem if it is actually overheating. what makes you think it was overheating in the first place?

it was not rich. it was lean, the RD jets must run way on the lean side.

before if I would ride it for 10mins it would be shooting steam and antifreez out the overflow tube...

now, I can let it sit an idle for a half and hour and its hardly even hot...