PDA

View Full Version : Anybody been to WyoTech or MMI(Motorcycles)?

ridehonda400ex
04-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Anybody been to either for motorcycle mechanics? Give me some details about the pros and cons. Traveling is no issue for me.

Thanks guys

HondaRaceReady
04-06-2011, 10:01 PM
I currently go to MMI. I started back in 09 and love it.

Pros:
Learn tons of stuff about motorcycles
learn general stuff about engines, suspension, and electrical (relevant to more than just motorcyles)
If you pay attention and talk with the instructors a lot, some will teach you tricks and secrets that would otherwise take years of trial and error to learn on your own.
learn how to use special tools that backyard mechanics have no idea about, such as manufacturer specific diagnostic equipment

Cons:
its like having a second job that you pay to go to.
theres tons of people who dont give a **** about being there and just ruin class for everyone

if you have any more questions feel free to ask me, taken just about every class that MMI offers

brian76708
04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
Anybody been to either for motorcycle mechanics? Give me some details about the pros and cons. Traveling is no issue for me.

Thanks guys

i would try to find a program at a community college before id go to one of those overpriced tech schools IMO.

TheLane
04-07-2011, 11:26 AM
I live in phoenix and thought about attending MMI just on the side to gain some knowledge, but they dont do part time classes.

i have a bunch of buddies that went there and said its great, just dont try to find a job in any city that has either. The market is flooded with post grads.

CJM
04-07-2011, 01:51 PM
My buddy went to UTI in PA and said he loved it, he did the toyota/lexus program and then also a diesel course. He got a job at a dealer and is happy making like 12/hr for now.

ridehonda400ex
04-07-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys. Im really considering MMI. i still got two years, im only a sophomore in high school but i want to get it done and over right after high school, not wait a year. Anybody know about the prices for either school? And which school has more knowledge thats useful, not just a bunch of BS? I wanna eventually learn to weld REALLY good, Im a quick learner and enjoy this stuff itll be easy for me.

Ruby Soho
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
a ton of my friends went there. not worth it.

HondaRaceReady
04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Price depends on how many courses you take and is always changing. As for the stuff you learn I wouldnt say it is bs at all. Before I went, I only knew how to do oil changes and valve adjustments and I was never fully confident that I did it perfect. Now I have no trouble taking motors completely apart, measuring everything, replacing worn parts and putting it back together and run it. Its not really a waste of money if this is really the career you want, but dont expect to learn a lot if all you do every day at school is **** around. Oh, and MMI doesnt teach welding, youll have to go to a community college for that.

ridehonda400ex
04-07-2011, 04:22 PM
I dont screw around in school when it comes to shop class and similar things. But I'm taking CACC next year which is hands on classes and its through the community college and I may take welding for 2 years instead of the mechanics class they offer, its like 50 bucks a year and you get certified in something...i dont have the book right now...but you can get certified if you take it two years and pass a test so then ill have the welding done for the most part and can then go to MMI and learn what i gotta learn...I think i might go to the Phoenix campus, seems like it would be more fun than floridas raining lol

CJM
04-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I wish i could weld better, welders get paid quite well usually.

ridehonda400ex
04-07-2011, 04:34 PM
That what I was thinking also. I plan on opening a shop for basic repair and special work too. And welding would be very nice to know and it would also broaden the business.

CJM
04-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by ridehonda400ex
That what I was thinking also. I plan on opening a shop for basic repair and special work too. And welding would be very nice to know and it would also broaden the business.

Dont expect to be able to do this right outta school man. Ive been in the auto repair field for quite awhile, while I wouldnt consider myself a great mechanic, even if I was-the only way to make the cash is to work your tail off and buy an existing biz or work your tail off and start your own-when you got the cash saved up.

Really, what makes alot of money-4x4 trucks or performance cars-something where your labor rate and time is worth more. Ex: if you will put a lift kiton a truck and know what your doing you could make easily 500 bucks in labor, since a regular rate is between 50-100, but your special rate for stuff like that would be 125-150 and people will pay it since most couldnt doit themselves.

Your avg repair shop doesnt make much. Buddy of mine is practically starving-yea he does alot of work but cant really make it cause now cars come with all kinds of warranties that cover everything! People also arent buying used cars as much as they did. Another buddy went thru UTI for toyota like I mentioned earlier-hes making 12/hr now and thats BARELY enough money to live on-thankfuly he still lives at home, got another buddy whose worked for honda for 10 years-he does ok but he does alot of side work and overtime.

Take it from me, the automotive field aint worth it as it once was. Im going back to college and getting a degree instead. Ill be making 40-45g's + overtime just to start (prob close to 50-55+g's a year!) once I finally finish, go thru the academy and be a cop like I want to. That money might not seem like much till you figure this: your avg mechanic gets paid between 20-30 bucks an hour at most places like dealers. Lets say 25 for the heck of it, 25x40hrs is a grand a week, take out taxes your talking 800, thats like 40k-barely enough to make it in most areas. Now, remember that 25/hr figure-that isnt starting wage, starting wage for most places is 10-15/hr, your making between 20-35k a year.

I hate to talk people out of it, but having been there and done that it isnt worth it. If you still like the automotive field, get into towing. It can be long/bad hours but alot of it is getting paid to sit on your butt (if they pay you per hour) till something comes in. When I used to tow I made 12/hr, now that might not seem like much, but-I only averaged working about 10-15 mins time per hour (im not counting driving around here-talking changing a tire or hooking a car up or whatever), sometimes I sat for 2-3 hours and just got paid. We had pagers, I could go wherever I wanted and sit on my butt waiting for it to go off so long as I was in my designated area. Plus people tip you, if its busy I could average easy 25+/hr cause if the tips.

maxamillion
04-07-2011, 09:14 PM
i would definately reccomend MMI i went to the one in phoenix. you get out what you put in at this school. if you really pay attention, dont take short cuts, and ask questions you will learn from some very good teachers. dont expect to be a head technician somewhere as soon as you graduate, but MMI is a great way to start if youre serious about making a career out of working on motorcycles/offroad vehicles. the starting pay in a dealership is pretty low for a technician, but if you prove yourself as a mechanic and take pride in your work eventually you will be making descent money.

backwoods 400ex
04-08-2011, 12:13 PM
I would recomend it they come and talk to our school and talk every year it sounds like a great school i would love to go there but im going to CVTC in EauClaire wisconsin and hopefully thats good i wanted to go to MMI but im gunna do motor work and still help on the farm so i couldnt justify they extra cost in my case but if your looking for a full timne job id DEFIDENTLY recomend MMI

icecreammaker
04-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion
i would definately reccomend MMI i went to the one in phoenix. you get out what you put in at this school. if you really pay attention, dont take short cuts, and ask questions you will learn from some very good teachers. dont expect to be a head technician somewhere as soon as you graduate, but MMI is a great way to start if youre serious about making a career out of working on motorcycles/offroad vehicles. the starting pay in a dealership is pretty low for a technician, but if you prove yourself as a mechanic and take pride in your work eventually you will be making descent money.

exactly what you said, my so has been out for almost 2 years & is now a mechanic on a pro ATV race team,

brian76708
04-08-2011, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by maxamillion

this applies to everything in life as long as you are persistent and stay focused it doesn't even matter what school you go to.

woodsracer144
04-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by CJM
He got a job at a dealer and is happy making like 12/hr for now.

thats it? I know this isnt a car dealer but I know a spot ( i kind already have my foot in the door there) but its a mechine shop for cars and stuff and they start at 18.50 but I'm going for Mechine tool not auto mechanic....