PDA

View Full Version : kick Starter Ideas

ToddL
04-06-2011, 10:05 AM
OK - we've all been there - let's get some new ideas.
Anyone out there have a good way to make the EVIL
kickstarter flip back up for more than a day????
I clean and lube the thing with spray graphite, but only
lasts a short time. There's gotta be a better way.
Hopefully some folks have found something better.
Lets hear 'em :)
If you have pics - that's even better.

Rocky probably can just LOOK at Logan's quad and it starts,
but maybe some of the rest of us have a good way!

#404's Dad
04-06-2011, 10:10 AM
Loosen the spring on the gear wheel in the cover, the one that is like a fork I guess and goes around the gear/wheel/paw that comes out and hits the one on the crank. Loosen it and lube it up :)

skyeryder
04-06-2011, 03:27 PM
what he said^^^^ and when you have it apart take the wheel and polish the inside that the fork rides in and also polish the fork/spring, hope that helps

ToddL
04-06-2011, 04:23 PM
hey, never thought about opening up that spring - got a couple extra so might as well try with one. anybody else chime in.
That's why this forum is great!

JIM GRACE
04-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Last night I sprayed the fork and pinion with break cleaner. Then i spray the main kicker spring and the pinion with wd 40. Like butter.
As far as long term idk, I always have cvt cover off and it takes less then 5 min.

chunky0071
04-06-2011, 06:28 PM
POLISH POLISH POLISH then use marine grade anti sez keeps mine working so I don't have to worry about it!

EthansDad
04-07-2011, 08:47 AM
polish and spread it, like they said. I never use any grease / lube on it as I don't want it to spin off and get on my belt and such. just take the fork off, take some sand paper or emery and get it shinny again. then pull apart a bit and put it on. I do that every time I am in the case for clutching, which is a lot.

-EA

ToddL
04-07-2011, 11:14 AM
you guys are giving me a lot of work this weekend :)
that's good though!

Logan #34's Dad
04-08-2011, 12:31 PM
All this spreading and polishing makes me wonder what your guys are really talking about!!!! :devil:

All the above are the only things we can really do.

raidernut
04-08-2011, 01:48 PM
Rocky be careful ethansdad doesnt use lube:devil:

riding4fun
04-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by raidernut
Rocky be careful ethansdad doesnt use lube:devil:

Hahahaha

EthansDad
04-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Rocky be careful ethansdad doesnt use lube

Nice.....:eek2:

mydirtkids
04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I would really like to meet the fool that designed this turd!!:macho

Apparently throwing the cover across the garage does not make it any easier to reset that lousy spring either... but sure did feel good!

Logan #34's Dad
04-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Those coil springs are NO fun for sure! Screw drivers and an extra pair of hands.

hak231
04-12-2011, 08:50 PM
As far as the spring goes,after fiddling with this spring for 2 hours for the first time, I figured out a way to do it in about 2 minutes. I set the flat end of the spring in position on the sprocket with the sprocket in position in the case. Then I put a 14 gauge speaker wire around the curled end. I then work the wire under the sprocket. Using the wire as a fishing tool, pull the curled end over to the hold tab and then pry it over the tab with a flat blade screwdriver. Remove the wire and it's done.

I seriously think that weak c clip on the outside of the shaft is what lets the spring work loose.

JIM GRACE
04-24-2011, 02:38 PM
I spread the forks so it's not as tight and not too loose this time. No wd40 and the kicker snapped back. :D let's see if it stays that way

JIM GRACE
05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
2 races and practices later and it still snaps back. I fixed my friends quad by doing the same thing ( spreading the fork). 5 years of dealing with that f@:(:ing kicker but finally that's good now. :D

EthansDad
05-12-2011, 07:05 PM
polish and spread it, like they said. I never use any grease / lube on it as I don't want it to spin off and get on my belt and such. just take the fork off, take some sand paper or emery and get it shinny again. then pull apart a bit and put it on. I do that every time I am in the case for clutching, which is a lot.

glad it worked on your kicker. oddly, the same technique works to keep your wife happy too:devil:

redonkulousruntsracing
05-12-2011, 08:46 PM
But has anyone cleaned/polished it so good that the pawl doesn't come out and engage the crank. If I get it working too smoothly, sometimes it doesn't engage the crank dog and I get that sweet grinding sound.:scary:

fastrnrik
05-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I spread the little fork thingy out too much & it didn't engage right. crimped it back some & it works good.