PDA

View Full Version : Cobra frame - Old vs New

Logan #34's Dad
04-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Hello folks, Can anyone tell me what the differences are between a 1st generation frame and a current year frame? Will the current JB suspension work on a 1st Generation Cobra?
Thank You

mini racer #39
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Best bet is to call JB. But new frame verses old frame, the new frame has bolt in motor mounts which will except different engines and a cobra gusset package. The new frame is also built in house @ cobra. The old frame was Aaron's frame no gussets and stationary motor mounts. And the swing arm is different from the 50 to the 70.

heathmxracing
04-07-2011, 03:37 PM
I have ran into a few old Cobras that had different front A-arm mounts that were closer together.

Thay have made suttle changes to them almost every year. The newest version has the factory installed gusset kit. If you need more help just let us know.

Logan #34's Dad
04-07-2011, 04:27 PM
Okay on the mounts being a little different. Are the new ones lighter due to them using Chromoly instead of Mild steel? I guess what I wanna know is, IS there any advantage to a new frame over the old espeacially if an old one is gussetted correctly...

Ryko racing
04-10-2011, 06:15 PM
we ran the original frames gusseted for 2 seasons and never cracked one after the gussets were installed and good shocks.

i would go back to a cobra in a minute if i had a younger son..