PDA

View Full Version : Would like opinions on my situation

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-05-2011, 10:35 PM
Okay, so a couple weeks ago I went through the "trouble" of talking to my mom and grandma about doing kind of a car swap for a while. My grandma doesn't driver her car at all, literally like 3 miles a month. Her and my grandpa are both retired and they have a truck that they use to do daily stuff. So I talked to my grandma about letting me use her car, however only my mom is insured on her car, so I talked to my mom. So my mom has been driving my grandma's car, and I've been driving my mom's car. Now my dad had a car, and also has his truck. The clutch in the car burned out today so he got irritated fixing it and took it to a junk yard. Now my dad doesn't want to drive his truck because it's expensive on gas so he says he's just going to use my moms car.... Okay, that's all cool, he's paying the bill for it, however I feel that I went through the trouble of asking my grandma if we could use her car so that I could use one. So then my dad comes back with, "Well I'm paying the bill for the car so I'm driving it."
So my end was, "Well you're not paying the bill for grandma's car that moms driving allowing you to drive moms car, so how is it any different?"
He walked away all pissed off and I think it's because he realizes I have a point. Am I wrong to be irritated because I went through the trouble of setting this up to save some money then he just takes advantage of the situation I've layed out?

trailrider894
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
Okay, so a couple weeks ago I went through the "trouble" of talking to my mom and grandma about doing kind of a car swap for a while. My grandma doesn't driver her car at all, literally like 3 miles a month. Her and my grandpa are both retired and they have a truck that they use to do daily stuff. So I talked to my grandma about letting me use her car, however only my mom is insured on her car, so I talked to my mom. So my mom has been driving my grandma's car, and I've been driving my mom's car. Now my dad had a car, and also has his truck. The clutch in the car burned out today so he got irritated fixing it and took it to a junk yard. Now my dad doesn't want to drive his truck because it's expensive on gas so he says he's just going to use my moms car.... Okay, that's all cool, he's paying the bill for it, however I feel that I went through the trouble of asking my grandma if we could use her car so that I could use one. So then my dad comes back with, "Well I'm paying the bill for the car so I'm driving it."
So my end was, "Well you're not paying the bill for grandma's car that moms driving allowing you to drive moms car, so how is it any different?"
He walked away all pissed off and I think it's because he realizes I have a point. Am I wrong to be irritated because I went through the trouble of setting this up to save some money then he just takes advantage of the situation I've layed out?

Wow.... I got lost two sentences in..... There is a whole lot of cars going on.... :huh

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Ha. Okay so car situation goes as so=

My mom is driving my grandma's car, and I am driving my mom's car. My mom is the only other person insured on my grandma's car so I can't "legally" drive it.

finsteratv
04-05-2011, 11:00 PM
my dad does the same thing alllll the time bro. once he realizes i have a point and that he's not ALWAYS right he gets pissed and walks off. little irritating huh?

ngates788
04-05-2011, 11:07 PM
just take the truck then

YFZ-FoFiddy-TC
04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by ngates788
just take the truck then

Well that's the thing, I have my own truck to drive, but I went through all the time to set this car situation up so that I could spend less on gas and start saving. 35mpg in my moms car vs 11mpg in my truck.

Rootar
04-05-2011, 11:56 PM
get a different truck ;) my 3/4 ton gets 20-21 and my car gets 45-48.

Honestly though what is the point of having a truck that gets such terrible mileage that you cant even afford to drive it. Do you have it lifted and rolling big rubber or what?

btw i see your dads point it is his car, you were making use of a situation where there was an extra car avaible, now there is not an extra car, so you are the one who gets the boot, it sucks but thats how it goes.

Pipeless416
04-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Rootar
get a different truck ;) my 3/4 ton gets 20-21 and my car gets 45-48.

Honestly though what is the point of having a truck that gets such terrible mileage that you cant even afford to drive it. Do you have it lifted and rolling big rubber or what?

btw i see your dads point it is his car, you were making use of a situation where there was an extra car avaible, now there is not an extra car, so you are the one who gets the boot, it sucks but thats how it goes.

I agree with everything Ross said. if you have your truck sitting there, then you can't really get mad just because you can't afford to drive it. you are choosing to own something like that. you should have tried buying the car that ended up in the junkyard because it needed a new clutch :huh

wilkin250r
04-06-2011, 06:21 AM
Plus, your dad makes the money, he pays the bills, he's paying for the car, he's putting a roof over your head.

I don't want to be the prick here, but you aren't really a necessary and vital component to the income that keeps your family going, HE is. If there's a conflict of vehicles and/or bills, he wins. It really boils down to that.

kt1148
04-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Exactly......^^

MX MaNiAc 06
04-06-2011, 06:41 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Plus, your dad makes the money, he pays the bills, he's paying for the car, he's putting a roof over your head.

I don't want to be the prick here, but you aren't really a necessary and vital component to the income that keeps your family going, HE is. If there's a conflict of vehicles and/or bills, he wins. It really boils down to that.

This will make 10x more sense when you have to pay insurance and deal with all the crap that comes with it. My dad and i used to butt heads about this subject a lot. Believe me, he isn't stomping away from the argument because he knows you're right..

CJM
04-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Im in agreement with everyone else, they are your dads and moms vehicles-not yours. he can do anything he wants with them.

Im sorry to say if your dad wants the car he can take it no questions asked.

400exrider707
04-06-2011, 09:46 AM
First things first, you don't insure drivers, you insure cars, so legally ANYONE can drive your grandmas car and legally, it is insured. You don't insure certain drivers, though they usually do ask and name the person/people who will be doing most of the driving. It's the same thing if you tossed your keys to a buddy for your own vehicle and he crashes, your car insurance will cover it. You pay for the car, not the driver. Though certain drivers can not insure certain cars if they have DWI's or anything of the sort.

Second, I can't believe you're even asking this. My dad would have slapped me upside the head. Life isn't fair sometimes, get over it.

Tommy Warren
04-06-2011, 12:10 PM
punch him in the throat;)

buck440
04-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

hellz yah!!

i never give my parents any crap for them exact reasons. if i ask for $20 and they say no, that's ok because there might been a few months i had to borrow money for car/phone insurance, gas money, cloths, new tires, schooling, a house, food....

arguing gets you nowhere.

my brother didn't see it my way and by 16 he quit school and moved out. where is he now, hell if i know.

buck440
04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
punch him in the throat;)

or drop kick the son of a *****!