PDA

View Full Version : Have you looked at your wiring harness??

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
I was bored, I read about a race cut wiring harness so I took mine apart to see what it looked like and how easy it would be to make.

It is very basic, theres nothing to it, the wires are spliced together, 1 wire turns to 2 then 3 with just wires wrapped together, lightly soldered with a lil heat shrink, then electrical taped, then plastic sheeting. "they are color coded nicely"

You could literally take your harness apart, buy switches and build a cutomized switch panel anyway you want and put the switches and push buttons anywhere you want!!!

I believe the wires that go to the clutch perch are actually on the same plug on the harness, you could cut it at the plug on the harness instead of at the clutch. The starter button could be a single button on the bars...etc.

It would be nice to change the kill switch to a push button, you could even put a switch on the plastic somewhere hidden and the only thing on the bars were brakes, clutch and grips.

After I took it apart, it actually went right back together the same way it came apart, I taped it, replaced the plastic, mounted it and all is good and looks like it did before I took it apart.

I wish I would have thought to get pics of it...lol.

Does anyone have custom switch's?

fauxamish
04-05-2011, 06:36 PM
My wiring harness is just 3 wires coming out of the flywheel cover, going to the CDI. Got to love kickstart...

400exmxrider15
04-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Wait, kickstart EX? I thought they were rare for people to have since they require loads of money...I did see that You can buy a red or black Hinson clutch cover for the 400ex, but its $410!!!

CJM
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by 400exmxrider15
Wait, kickstart EX? I thought they were rare for people to have since they require loads of money...I did see that You can buy a red or black Hinson clutch cover for the 400ex, but its $410!!!

An XR400 cover will bolt right up. The rest of the thing needs more work, such as the kick start, lever, clutch lever, etc.

Ive seen one guy who did the XR400 cover so he could have a quick change clutch cover, he welded the hole for the kick start, had to modify the clutch lever arm thing and bracket.

Theres a thread on it somewhere.

fauxamish
04-06-2011, 02:45 PM
No, wasn't that expensive. I'm using a stock XR400 sidecover without any problems.

400exmxrider15
04-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by fauxamish
No, wasn't that expensive. I'm using a stock XR400 sidecover without any problems.

Not to throw this guys thread off, but PM me fauxamish about this, or you can text me @ 812-207-3343...I wanna know more about this.....

JOHNDOE83
04-06-2011, 02:54 PM
I dont mind if the thread gets off topic....lol.

400exmxrider15
04-06-2011, 03:45 PM
well then, does the XR400r clutch cover allow for the stock EX clutch basket to be used? can i block off the kickstart? can i use the kickstart without having to remove the electric start?

fauxamish
04-06-2011, 04:04 PM
I'm currently using the XR basket because you need the gear on the back of the basket for the kicker. I put my EX basket in the other day and didn't feel any interference with the cover. Not 100% sure if the clutch pin would interfere or not though (I didn't fully assemble it, just did a quick check). I will put it all together with the EX basket tonight if I have time.

You can block off the kickstart, that is all Hinson does. You can use the kick start without taking off electric start, but by removing electric start, you can remove a TON of weight off the flywheel. You can also lose a lot of weight off the bike by getting rid of the battery, starter, everything. My bike is just for TT, so I don't need lights or anything.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa383/fauxamish/IMG_9963.jpg

400exmxrider15
04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Can you take pics if you have time too of the set up you are running?

Thumpin440ex
04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Nothing crazy, but i like the way it turned out :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/mangler0075/400ex%20build/startbutton.jpg

John

fauxamish
04-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Are you talking about my TT setup? Or the kickstart?

Just tore the clutch apart and tried mixing and matching stuff (having the easily removed cover is wonderful...). The EX basket does not fit with the XR cover, although its close, so the cover could probably be machined to fit. So to run the kickstart, you either need to use the stock XR basket (which is shorter, thats why it doesn't interfere), or machine the XR cover, or buy a Hinson cover.

400exmxrider15
04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
But i can always plug the kickstart hole for later use if i decide i wanna use it....i'll do that....

CJM
04-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Heres the thread about the clutch cover http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=453638

fauxamish
04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
yeah, you can plug the hole. If you look at a Hinson cover, it looks identical to a stock XR side cover, with the kicker hole plugged.