PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Guns

rooster300ex
04-05-2011, 04:02 PM
At times I think they kinna act like punks and the owner is as rude as they come. I seen the episode of them makin fun of some old guy just wonderin and lookin around in there. He could give 2 ****s what red jacket is on tv or whatever. All he is doing is lookin around passin time. What an *******.

CJM
04-05-2011, 04:15 PM
You really care that much?

Ive met Will, his daughter and been to red jacket. Friend of mine is from LA and worked for them/is a personal friend of Wills. They are actually nice guys in reality, but they do not cater to your ordinary citizen or gun person. They make one off or custom/standard class II and III as well as AOW's. They dont deal with the general public to much at all, mostly dont sell to them either. Like I said they are a class II/III/AOW shop-not your corner gun store. Whole different set of rules.

That being said, when they were in the process of being picked up for a show I recall my buddy telling me the news. I asked him if they would be letting Will run the show and he said Will explained it was either his way or the hwy and thats exactly how the show goes. Its not all preppy happy crap like some of the other shows-what you see is basically how they are.

Dont like it, dont watch them. Me, ill watch the show as I met these guys and they are top notch.

rooster300ex
04-05-2011, 04:21 PM
No. Just makin conversation. Its an open forum.

ZeroLogic
04-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I hate the damn show. What really set me off is when they were building the .50 cal. Will flies a guy in at a drop of a hat. The guy comes in and explains everything to Will about the gun (IE the history how it works and why) Will just turns him off. Really? Have some respect for the guy. He is talking his time to teach you about you're gun. And after they ruined the tommy gun that was it for me.

I truly hope they are different in person.

rooster300ex
04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
I hate the damn show. What really set me off is when they were building the .50 cal. Will flies a guy in at a drop of a hat. The guy comes in and explains everything to Will about the gun (IE the history how it works and why) Will just turns him off. Really? Have some respect for the guy. He is talking his time to teach you about you're gun. And after they ruined the tommy gun that was it for me.

I truly hope they are different in person.

Exactly

SRH
04-05-2011, 04:56 PM
you gotta remember that that old dude was prob sent in as part of the show so will could get the point across they were nnot open to the general public to the viewers before they got swarmed with ppl wanting a tour....

it was basically just tv im pretty sure

CJM
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
If I had to guess, Will got annoyed b/c he needed the 50 cal DONE FAST and the guy was just dragging it out for him. hes a horribly inpatient kinda guy as well.

slightlybent47
04-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Most people are deferent when the camera is on, not saying its write or wrong just part of the show. Looks like they cater to law enforcement and the military, but that old guy could have had loads of money and might have dropped some serious coin in there. Never judge someone by how the look.

jesshamner
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm sure there is some scripting or at least some producer induced events.

Will seems very much like he's all about his business and making his money. If I was trying to make money by meeting deadlines, I'm going to do whatever it takes even if that means skipping over some of the small fish. On the show he's always selling $1000 + units and selling them in bulk. That's where the money is. The jobs that aren't bulk, are one off custom jobs that cost a fortune to have done. I didn't see the episode with the old man, but having some geezer coming in the shop browsing around just to buy one suppressor or something like that is a waste of their time.

IDK, maybe that makes me sound like a d1ck because I'm siding with how Red Jacket does business. I want to say that I would not do business like that if it were my shop. I'm just playing devils advocate because I can see why he acts like that.

slightlybent47
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
I’ll bet it was the small guys that got him going with small orders.

Those big orders are nice and do make a lot of money, but a customer is a customer and it’s the little guy that keeps things going in between the big ones.

A married couple came in wanting a hand gun for home defense; Will turned them away simply because they had no experience. He should have referred them to a good training program and had them come back when they were better qualified.
Good service keeps the good customers coming back and give good word of mouth advertising to there friends.

CJM
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
He doesnt sell handguns just so ya know. So the people really didnt need to come back.

He specializes in AK style weapons, thats his biggest thing, then comes AOW and class II/III.

I think the show doesnt really let you know how he is, like I said he might be inpatient but hes a good guy.

cdrookie
04-05-2011, 07:10 PM
it's scripted, and painfully obviously so. the old guy, the couple, every show someone comes in and they turn them away. they're all annoying, just like desert car kings, gold rush, axe men. wanna be actors trying to pretend they're deniro...

CJM
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Actually its not all that much scripted, like I said his agreement with the DSC was his way or the hwy.

slightlybent47
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
He doesnt sell handguns just so ya know. So the people really didnt need to come back.

He specializes in AK style weapons, thats his biggest thing, then comes AOW and class II/III.

I think the show doesnt really let you know how he is, like I said he might be inpatient but hes a good guy.

Yes they do sell hand guns, they sold a .22 to another married couple on a deferent episode.
Still could have had them come back with better qualifications and then made a sale.

CJM
04-05-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Yes they do sell hand guns, they sold a .22 to another married couple on a deferent episode.
Still could have had them come back with better qualifications and then made a sale.

Sounds like it was scripted, he never used to sell any hand guns at all-just class III stuff.

Then again I dont think Ive seen that episode either so maybe he changed up

NED441SUZ
04-05-2011, 08:33 PM
Although Will does come across as arrogant, his shop builds fine weapons. Period. As far as "Desert Car Kings", those are the most annoying fake bunch of tards ever. I used to own a Performance/Restoration shop. They make the public think you can't buy new parts for old classic cars. Their cars are basically just a cheap paint job and a new interior. Jerks like these guys and the Barrett-Jackson Auction pricks are why average people can't afford classic cars anymore.

ZeroLogic
04-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by NED441SUZ
Although Will does come across as arrogant, his shop builds fine weapons. Period. As far as "Desert Car Kings", those are the most annoying fake bunch of tards ever. I used to own a Performance/Restoration shop. They make the public think you can't buy new parts for old classic cars. Their cars are basically just a cheap paint job and a new interior. Jerks like these guys and the Barrett-Jackson Auction pricks are why average people can't afford classic cars anymore.

From the looks of things they know what they are doing there.
I have the out most respect for the guy with I think his name is Vince. He knows his stuff and, when he said he looks forward to going home and having dinner with his family won him in my book.
As for the guy I think his name is Chris. He is worthless. I think hes just there to get into Wills daughters pants.

But you are right about the Desert kings show. They showed one car that was covered in rust behind a new paint job.

CJM
04-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Trust me, he isnt as useless and stupid as you might think.

I know Im kinda defending these guys, but like I said I met them and they arent that bad at all.

Now the desert car kings-thier thing is affordable daily drivers, I could do a better job than they do. Notice how they almost never show the real body work phase-like you said paint over the rust!

rooster300ex
04-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I agree they make some amazing designs. Like when they suppressed an ak-47. Now that **** was cool

jesshamner
04-06-2011, 08:30 AM
I still can't figure out the rocket launcher they built to scare pirates. They shot off bottle rockets and then later it looked like bigger rockets that you could buy at the fireworks store or hobby store. Was that just because they couldn't shoot off real rockets? Or are they really planning on scaring pirates with hobby rockets?

protraxrptr17
04-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Maybe I missed something, but I cant figure out what it is they really do other than assemble guns. They dont actually design or machine the parts they put on the guns do they? All the stuff I have seen them build themselves looked kinda hatchet (rocket launcher). I'm guessing they hire a helluva machine shop somewhere to make their parts. They have a mill and a lathe but you can tell that they dont really know how to use it. What about thier little 110v flux core welder? Absolutely the worst thing I can imagine to try to make nice clean precision welds on guns. Not hatin, more power to em if they can pull it off.

slightlybent47
04-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I saw that episode and from what they said they have restrictions on weapons that are used on ships for defense. I don’t think that’s true but that’s what they said on the show.

ZeroLogic
04-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
I saw that episode and from what they said they have restrictions on weapons that are used on ships for defense. I don’t think that’s true but that’s what they said on the show.

I believe it is the law that you cannot have any type of firearms on a ship if you are on international waters. Unless you are on a military vessel of course.

CJM
04-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Maybe I missed something, but I cant figure out what it is they really do other than assemble guns. They dont actually design or machine the parts they put on the guns do they? All the stuff I have seen them build themselves looked kinda hatchet (rocket launcher). I'm guessing they hire a helluva machine shop somewhere to make their parts. They have a mill and a lathe but you can tell that they dont really know how to use it. What about thier little 110v flux core welder? Absolutely the worst thing I can imagine to try to make nice clean precision welds on guns. Not hatin, more power to em if they can pull it off.

They make parts, Ive seen them do it.

What they specialize in is taking your typical saiga type AK and converting them to take hi cap mags among other things. They also manufacture suppressors as well as class III weapons from parts kits.

You guys are being way to hard on these poor folks imho, you dont need fancy tools to be a gunsmith either-its not rocket science.

The shows a half hour, how much time can they actually show them working on the stuff? Its like a weeks worth of work condensed.

jesshamner
04-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Just curious...but what exactly is a hi capacity magazine?

CJM
04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by jesshamner
Just curious...but what exactly is a hi capacity magazine?

When you buy a saiga type ak its designed to only take 10rd or 5rd magazines and only saiga brand mags. They convert them to take fullsize 20, 30 and drum type ak mags.

Forgive the hi-cap term, its an old habit from the 1994 assault weapon ban days that listed anything over a certain round number as hi-capacity.

jesshamner
04-06-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm actually fully aware of the term from the AWB. I guess I was just testing you. :blah:

However, I did not know that the Saiga rifles took a different magazine than other AK format rifles.

I'm so glad you didn't answer with banana clip. LOL.

CJM
04-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I'm actually fully aware of the term from the AWB. I guess I was just testing you. :blah:

However, I did not know that the Saiga rifles took a different magazine than other AK format rifles.

I'm so glad you didn't answer with banana clip. LOL.

I see lol..

:)

sexysilverado45
04-06-2011, 01:59 PM
I think the show is pretty cool and addicting. I don't know a whole lot about guns except for what I own which is just a bunch of shotguns and a few 22's, but it seems to me these guys know what they are doing. The tommy gun was legit, however, I do think they could have kept it a little more original, but it looked pretty b.a anyways. Also the internally compressed a.k I'm sure that took some time to figure out because(like I said I don't know much about guns)the gun has that gas tube that it uses to chamber another round and to build a suppressor around that is like they said,"unheard, of and thought to be impossible." Also, the suppressed shotgun who ever bought that is an idiot it doesn't make much since, but to each their own I guess. The two heavy machine guns he did the ma deuce and the mg 42 were awesome. I would love to wake up every morning pull out my mg 42 and light up the tree row just for the shats and gaggles of it.

jesshamner
04-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Didn't they say that the tommy gun was a replica? I was appalled when I saw the previews for that show and it was all tac'd out. But I could have sworn they said it was a replica so that isn't too bad I guess. I need have one of those.

CJM
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Yea I could swear they said it was a replica too. I doubt they woulda butchered a genuine thompson.

buck440
04-06-2011, 06:55 PM
if the show gets anymore scripted it'll be on tru tv:rolleyes:

jesshamner
04-06-2011, 06:56 PM
No way! Tru TV is totally real.

CJM
04-06-2011, 06:59 PM
No way! Tru TV is totally real.

I love the process server guy, I mean really cmon. Ive done that before, not a single person I served ran away from me.

buck440
04-06-2011, 07:11 PM
lol

all i seen go out of that shop mostly so far was useless, impractical, less reliable, novelty bs. BTW DOES THE FAT OLD GUY EVER CHANGE HIS SHIRT? the stupidest thing they made was the machete/sword. "a sword is too long and thin and a machete is too short and thick. let's make something in between". wtf guys, seriously? gullible people will love this show.

whatever happened to reality?

250x_kyle
04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by protraxrptr17
Maybe I missed something, but I cant figure out what it is they really do other than assemble guns. They dont actually design or machine the parts they put on the guns do they? All the stuff I have seen them build themselves looked kinda hatchet (rocket launcher). I'm guessing they hire a helluva machine shop somewhere to make their parts..

its hard to say ive only seen the show once and it looked like they had a cnc mill sittingin their shop. if thats the case you have to remember some companys have trade secrets they dont want anyone to know so they wouldnt let them film it. i could be wrong but it is something that happens in the real world.

fasterblaster09
04-10-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?55656-Sons-of-Guns-I-am-done

Some people here think the same as some of you, and Will (screen name "Red Jacket") gives everyone some insight. BTW- Not a bad forum for any of you gun guys.

buck440
04-10-2011, 07:35 PM
the only thing i like is that the show is putting guns out in the main stream. imo most people are gullible and will eat this **** up and be less afraid of weapons from knowledge instead of their ignorance.

the show is like "guns for dummies".

they give a basic example of how weapon laws, operation, accessories, and saftey work but don't get to into it so they don't overload unknowledgeable gun people's brains and scare them away.

CJM
04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Jeez, you people are critical of this it amazes me.

Do you see any other gun shows on tv like this-where they actually build guns on tv? They got a half hour, if anything more like 15-20 mins of actual air time to show you something and close it out.

Dont like it, dont watch it.

honda400ex2003
04-10-2011, 08:26 PM
i like the show, they make some cool stuff. I applaud them for the pure creation at hand. i dont watch the show for anything but the final product since I know what happens with a show present.

although the show is good, if it didnt have his daughter on it, i probably wouldnt waste my time, there are better formatted shows on tv. lol

steve

buck440
04-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
dont watch it.

:)

NacsMXer
04-10-2011, 08:39 PM
The way Will's daughter talks makes me cringe for some reason :p

honda400ex2003
04-10-2011, 09:05 PM
lol some times her voice does get a bit irritating doesnt it. lol steve

ZeroLogic
04-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003

although the show is good, if it didnt have his daughter on it, i probably wouldnt waste my time, there are better formatted shows on tv. lol

steve

The more I watch that show the more i shiver every time she talks.:chinese: