PDA

View Full Version : (K10) Starting an '87 OEM stock resto (slow progress w/pics)

k10seibel
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Just though I 'd start to share a couple current projects. Fist one's an OEM stock '87 TRX 250R build. Most all the hardware is NOS and the colored metal it either NOS or powdered. I hope to make more progress this week. More pics to come.....
BTW, sorry for the cluttered mess. I also just started an '86 TRX vintage Selvy privateer project in the back corner. Gets a bit messy with two builds at once. I'll post more on that one later when it's further along.
-Andy

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm165.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm167.jpg

jcs003
04-05-2011, 12:56 PM
awesome!! dont see many with carpet to work on:D

Jonny B
04-05-2011, 01:11 PM
Is that a bed out in the garage?:) Your garage gives a new meaning to the term DOGHOUSE.

bigE28
04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
parts everywhere!!! what the hey? they will look much better when they get on that great looking bike!! keep up the good work!

04-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Looks great.

danhung11
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Subscribed.

Just curious...what happen to the Selvy ATV retro-build?

wild250rman
04-05-2011, 08:06 PM
you have to many toys i can keep some in my garage if you want.lol

k10seibel
04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
Subscribed.

Just curious...what happen to the Selvy ATV retro-build?

Dan, I'm currently just starting it along with this '87 OEM stocker project. The Selvy TRX retro racer is the "privateer" bike I'm doing back in the corner
For a long time I was planning to use the '86 Steve Wright Selvy 250 cylinder on my '86 ATC reto racer, but now that project has taken a left turn at the corner of CT & Mugen. That one is to be continued.......
I'm just starting to build the '86 TRX retro racer, with a Steve Wright/Selvy tribute in mind. The history may not be totally correct and true on this build, but will definitely be old school period parts only. I'll be installing the Steve Wright/Selvy jug on this TRX. I need to totally restore/refresh'n the Wright cylinder though, so for now the reto TRX will just get an NOS '86 engine. It'll also be getting the Selvy sectional pipe and matching silencer. Maybe to keep things condensed I'll just post that build here on this thread too. Maybe later in the AM tonight I'll get some pics up of it. It's gonna be my new rider,.. so my stock '89 OEM build can commence. I've been using the '89 on occasion when I get the rare chance to go riding. One thing at a time though... I'm getting a little ahead of myself here.
Still waiting on some cool old school parts for these builds, so I'm gonna try to get them as far as possible during these two weeks of vacation I'm burning at home.
Steve Wright was one of the very few Honda "supported" ATV privateers in '87 after the demise of team Honda at the end of '86. He made attempts at keeping his ATV racing alive, but settled down with a self made surf shop in Cali.
Steve worked with Bob Selvy earlier on an ATC ride for desert racing and may or may not of had a Selvy powered TRX. I really don't know that to be fact or that this cylinder is even really his, but I'd bet $ on it. I'll have to try to contact Steve or Bob and get some confirmation. Until then this TRX will just be my rendering of what such a machine might of been like... Again just a fun old school "rider" for me to dress up and take out. Check out the old 80's garb...(LOL) It'd be fun to line up with the 450's younger crowd. Too bad they'd smoke my fat @$$! ( LOL)
Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, guys!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm002.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm005-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/stevewright5-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/stevewright3-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/stevewright1-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/stevewright4-1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/babywrapthendelete002.jpg

danhung11
04-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Andy, thanks for the reply. You are a true historian on these R's, love reading/following your threads. Is that you in the last pic decked out in oldschool gear? If so, that's priceless! Boots are killer! It's like stepping back in time. :p

Keep up the great work!
Dan

PS - would like to burn a couple vacation days just checking out your collection, have to talk the Mrs. into it, but I'm sure there's something fun to do around there. Do you allow cameras in your museum? :D

k10seibel
04-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Yep, Dan. That's me. See the out of shape spare tire forming....HA Ha ha
Come on by anytime... It's really not that great of a display. The "museum" is a glorified three car garage. (LOL)
Thanks!

Didn't get much done tonight on either bike, due to a few too many cocktails, Barret Jackson re-runs, and lack of ready parts... Here's a pic of the barely begun retro Wright/Slelvy "rider".
Having second thoughts on the NOS motor in the retro rider. It's just too nice to run. I'll prolly pull it out tomorrow and run a used, lesser quality repainted '86 bottom end. That should get me juiced up and ready to spring into action on the Wright/Selvy cylinder refurbish chores, a little quicker anyway... Think'n that engine awe to be on a display stand. It sure was nice to sip beer and stare at, but think'n I'd be a fool to ruin those case covers with my dirty boots and trash discontinued paint..(LOL)
Off to sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm169.jpg

socal
04-06-2011, 04:11 AM
Awesome stuff!Brings me back to the days of going to the Los Angeles Coliseum for the Mickey Thompson races.It was all TRXs and a few quadracers scattered about.I also remember seeing them race with Gary Denton at Ascot park here in Ca.Keep up the nice work,cant wait to see the finish product.Im 38 now and my dad got us an 87 TRX brand new from Gardena Honda...Thanks for sharing!

JohnBeton
04-06-2011, 05:06 AM
[Unreal Tournament Voice] POSTING SPREEEEEE ! [/Unreal Tournament Voice] :blah:

wild250rman
04-06-2011, 05:17 AM
see you put your axle/hub spacers to the inside not oem Andy, come on! :D. are you going to do a blue 87 R and a red 87 R like the 86 builds?

Fear250r
04-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Socal - you cheatin' to build up your post count?? lol

Andy, can't wait to see the finished product. All your stuff looks great! Definitely love the "old school" gear!!

socal
04-06-2011, 09:31 AM
WOW,can a moderator clean that up please?It was late,I was a bit tipsy(went out for taco Tuesday!LOL)and my dumb computer was acting up!Or was it me?:cuss:

Rich250RRacer
04-06-2011, 02:29 PM

I'm in need of the decal seen on the vertical tube in this pic. Is it a repro item or OEM? Do you have one you would be willing to part with?

socal
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Contact member ddrslapp,I think he prints those?Dam that motor makes me happy!:D

jhtrx250r
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Kind of a dumb question but where do you get the gold paint to match 1986-87 OE honda stuff and are there paint codes avalible for all OE trx parts?
Am I looking in the wrong areas ?

Thanks james

jhtrx250r
04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I also noticed the frame in the above pic is a 1986 not a 1987 is it a 1987 restore?
I was going to do one and have tons of parts if you need anything specific?

I also have a nice OE paint 1987 frame with the MSO from honda and the origonal owners manual
if needed

socal
04-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Not sure on paint but gold PC is sun gold PC365...

k10seibel
04-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
see you put your axle/hub spacers to the inside not oem Andy, come on! :D. are you going to do a blue 87 R and a red 87 R like the 86 builds?

Thanks for the reminder. The hubs & castle nuts are just sitting loose. I'll make sure to flip them to the outside. Good eyes on you! (LOL)

Oh, and the '87 is gonna be red, as well as the Selvy bike too.

k10seibel
04-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer

I'm in need of the decal seen on the vertical tube in this pic. Is it a repro item or OEM? Do you have one you would be willing to part with?

FYI, Harlan has them too. I got a few from him a long time back and have just enough to finish my needs, but if ddrslap has 'em I'd try them first. Both of these vendors have been great helps for my restorations!

THANKS!

jhtrx250r
04-06-2011, 07:36 PM
okay I see my mistake before any of you jump all over me I was looking at the wrong frame not the original 1 started in the thread
yes that is a very nice 87 restoration

wild250rman
04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by k10seibel
Thanks for the reminder. The hubs & castle nuts are just sitting loose. I'll make sure to flip them to the outside. Good eyes on you! (LOL)

Oh, and the '87 is gonna be red, as well as the Selvy bike too.
been a while since i measured but is the 86/87 axle set up like you have it the same as the 88/89 width and minus like 1.5" under 88/89 width switched? more great builds and history lessons.

k10seibel
04-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jhtrx250r
Kind of a dumb question but where do you get the gold paint to match 1986-87 OE honda stuff and are there paint codes available for all OE trx parts?

Thanks james

I use Columbia coatings " Gold Mettalic" powder. Used liquids until tonight on the front A-arms (Rustoleum's "Gold Rush Mettalic" rattle can).
If proper prep is done and careful attention is taken I think I can Powder the front A-arms without having to much trouble.
I'm pretty well set with parts here, but thanks for the offer.

k10seibel
04-07-2011, 01:35 AM
So tonight after posting some OEM gold color matched names, I went out to the garage and was dissembling some '86 &'87 OE A-arms. I've always been curious if OEM ball joints would hold up to the curing heat cycle endured with powder coating. I remember reading a 3&4 Wheel Action article a long time ago where they had the A-arms powder coated on a rebuild project. They made special mention of the danger of ruining the stock ball joints.
I have accumulated several sets of A-arms over time, so tonight I took the removable top ball joints off and baked them at 475 degrees for about an hour. Surprisingly there was very little fuming or any smoke. The ball joint boots seemed to take the heat just fine. I even took a long pair of roach pliers and tried to poke and tear at the boots inside my little oven. They remained pliable, but yet not melted or weak. Some grease did ooze out, but just congealed on the bottom of the oven. It smelt like over heated motor oil, but could easily be cleaned up and replaced with a very fine tip high end grease gun (Snap On). After they cooled back down I whacked them around with my BFH and they seemed perfect still, without issue. Still moving freely and without slop. Just as tight as they did prior. I think if they were hung with the tip of the ball joint stud down the oozing grease would run right down the threaded end and drip off, thus not contaminating or flawing the finish at all. Clean up would be straight forward after cool down.
Long story short, gonna order up some more Gold Metallic powder and see if I can make a go of PC'n these too. So disregard my previous statements from the earlier post (self edited). This will be much better than a rattle can finish. Although a garage queen "show" bike will age fine with a little well done quality spray paint. Hate to admit that though.....I'll post the results next week when the powder comes in and I get a chance to try this out. Here's the lab test (LOL) photos.
Keep in mind the '86-'87 lower A-arms don't have removable ball joints, and the '88-'89 years A-arms are non serviceable as well. This may seem rather obvious to most, but I know somebody would eventually ask.......

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm179.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm180.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm181.jpg

dlunn
04-07-2011, 04:45 AM
My wife would kill me if I put parts in the oven!!! :D

troybilt
04-07-2011, 07:12 AM
FYI, Harlan has them too. I got a few from him a long time back and have just enough to finish my needs, but if ddrslap has 'em I'd try them first. Both of these vendors have been great helps for my restorations!

THANKS!

Build's looking great, Andy! I wish I could have had my aarms powdercoated on my 89 resto, but I had Pumashine paint them with epoxy/clearcoat and that stuff is holding up REALLY well, couldn't be more pleased with the finish... something to think about if the PC doesn't end up working for ya. Thanks for posting you're findings!!

Decals:
Harlan I believe is back from vacation now or will be soon, he's got the frame decals for all years of trx. I've bought several sets from him, awesome to work with and very reasonable prices.

PM me if anyone needs his email. I'd post it but don't want Harlan to get a bunch of spam... :D

k10seibel
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Thanks, Troy! The Epoxy/clear is definitely way better than the 'ol rattle can method. I only use a graffiti gun sparingly. Forever to be a parade runner it holds up like iron...(LOL) It'll never see dirt.
Very good point on the spam thing too. I'll just post a link to some pictures of the fore mentioned "Caution" frame decal. Harlan's contact info is there too.

http://trx250rparts.com/showthread.php?107-OEM-Frame-decals

Rich250RRacer
04-07-2011, 10:39 PM

THANKS!

Years ago, when I did my resto, Harlan didn't have them. In fact, I tried removing one from another frame for him to duplicate and it didn't work out too well. He must have found a good one to copy. I'll get in touch with him. Thanks.

k10seibel
04-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I sent him a set of frame decals to copy about 2 years ago. The long CAUTION decal was pretty well wrinkled up from the heat needed to make it release. His new supplier was really good at making due with the warped out piece of bacon. The font is ever so slightly off, but that's being very picky...

troybilt
04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
I'd also like to comment, you won't find a nicer person to visit with on these decals. Harlan is a class act guy. I asked him to help me with some 2010 frame decals for my Laeger and he was more than willing to work with me on those.

I'd also like to say, I just spent 6 months restoring my 89 250r, and K10's resto's are really in a whole another league than mine. Truely remarkable restorations down to every last detail.

Hopefully someday we can talk Andy into building an aftermarket framed 250r, like a Laeger or Lobo... could you imagine the detail that would go into one of those bikes!! :eek2:

k10seibel
04-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Troy,
You're really too kind. I'm just an enthusiast like you... Thanks for the compliments. My stuff isn't perfect. Honda's not looking to purchase anything here, like Mike at Vintage Motorsports. But thanks bud!
You're 89 R turned out fantastic, and the fact that you'll use it is also remarkable. I get a bit burnt out at times with just looking at my bikes. I need to throw a leg over something and do some seat time. I'm trying to tell myself this '86 TRX reto bike will be ridden... Please help & hold me to it!
After visiting Pinit (Jody) up in Wausa a couple weeks ago, I'm REALLY wanting a Laeger CRF hybrid. His skills and cool collection makes a guy want to sell everything, start a machine shop and build full tilt custom ATVs. He's the man!
I'm really looking to build a big thumper. I even contemplated using an old '82 XL 500 in an R for a retro thumper racer. Something old school, but an 80's period hybrid of sorts. I don't want to chop up a good R frame, but if time and logistics are on my side (doubt it), I might see if I can do this old hybrid as a bolt in and out configuration. Just so I could put'r back to stock with saved stock parts. I know the hp #'s wouldn't match today's 450, but it would cheaper to build and look different than all the rest. Sure that many will scoff at this idea, but done cleanly it would be cool to the older generation maybe.....

troybilt
04-08-2011, 09:45 AM
I think its a great idea, kind of like Nicholson 500X ATC from back in the day? Only a quad, right?

There is a few of those 350RX (250r's) floating around, even saw one on this forum awhile back. You could easily modify one of those to run that 500 motor.... but I won't hesitate to build from from a Laeger, LSR etc.. frame either if you're wanting aftermarket configuration. Also if you want a new frame HRE up in PA would be worth talking to as well, 250renvy has some experience with them...

I hope you build one and start a build thread on here, its fun watching these come together, and I have similar tastes as you it seems, so I have a particular interest!

Yep, I took the ol'89 out last weekend and blew the cob webs out. Its the best running 250r I've rode so far, and its completely stock, I couldn't believe it. All along the torque motors I was looking was right in front of me... haha..

k10seibel
04-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Troy,
I love the look of the Nickolson 500s.They look BAD @$$!One came up for sale not too long ago for a real reasonable price too, but would just be another queen. Can't go to the track with a trike around here either. Will see though, maybe down the road. Got plenty on my plate for now.

k10seibel
04-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Masked up the A-arms this morning here's a few pics....
I'm planning on blasting them after my kids go to bed. Spent the afternoon watching them ride a nice groove into the yard. Eeek! We have very patient neighbors (LOL). Just bought this '07 TRX90 yesterday for my boy. Wish it was the white version so I could paint the wheels gold and get fender decals made up like and '86 R. Now my younger daughter rides the outgrown Red Cat knock off. What an utopia, watching their fun!
Anyway, first I masked off the ball joints with green body tape. Then wrapped a zip tie at the base of the masking tape to improve it's hold under blasting pressure. Lastly, I covered the easy release tape with duct tape as to toughen up the barrier protecting the ball joint boots. Put old castle nuts on to help deflect pressure away from the mask line on the stems. These B joints will have to be flushed and regreased before use, as I'm sure sand will still get under the boots.
I'll post progress as I can get to it. My boy's 7 yr B-day party this weekend = SLoooow progress.
Hope this works :ermm:

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm188.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm187.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm186.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm185.jpg

Rich250RRacer
04-08-2011, 07:46 PM
I sent him a set of frame decals to copy about 2 years ago. The long CAUTION decal was pretty well wrinkled up from the heat needed to make it release. His new supplier was really good at making due with the warped out piece of bacon. The font is ever so slightly off, but that's being very picky...

I'll have to live with it, it's what I need to make mine complete. I was fortunate enough to do my resto years ago when nearly all of the decals were still available (and just about everybody thought I was crazy for restoring an "R" to stock showroom condition). This decal and the model year decal are the only two reproduction items on my quad. And for those who have bought them, you can thank me for providing Harlan with an OEM Honda decal for the hood. :D

DoonRider
04-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by jhtrx250r
Kind of a dumb question but where do you get the gold paint to match 1986-87 OE honda stuff and are there paint codes avalible for all OE trx parts?

Thanks james

I noticed a pretty close touch up paint for the motor - Rust-oleum 244228 Metallic Charcoal in the rattle can from WalMart. I never noticed it there before until the other day. So many grays have blue in them but this one is gray with black tint in it. Good touch up for my 86 cases.
And as K10 mentioned the Rustoleum 7270 Gold Rush Metallic is a match for the a-arms.

k10seibel
04-26-2011, 01:46 AM
Got the A arms all done and did a couple extra sets I've had laying around. Here's the progress, all be it very slow, and now the Retro Racer TRX is on the back burner til this '87 OE build is done. I've been working on a couple of my trikes here and there too, so time has been spread pretty thin. Anyway, I now feel very comfortable PC'n A arm's with non removable ball joints. Got the ball joint boot replacement down too. Wasn't as bad as I once thought it might be.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm225.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm222.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm208.jpg

dhsmustang
04-26-2011, 05:57 AM
A arms turned out great!

wild250rman
06-06-2011, 02:17 PM
any updates?

k10seibel
06-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Not much progress lately. Ya know how summer time gets with 3 kids....BUSY!
I did display this unfinished '87 it in the annual parade here last weekend with a couple 250R trikes. (Just for advertising & fun)
I've added a few miscellaneous items on the '87, but this will be taking much longer than expected. Been working on the trikes a lot too, and well..... I'm temporarily a little broke. :(
I'm going to spiffy up the engine here, and that will probably take forever, so the next progress will be to just assemble everything, minus the motor. Here's some pics for a little entertainment and being so patient with me.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic004.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic005.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm280.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm279.jpg

wild250rman
06-10-2011, 05:06 AM
looks like your family and you have a great time with the sport. Keep up the good work. :). ridding with the little ones make's it very rewarding.

etccb
06-10-2011, 06:14 AM
WOW CALFAB swingarms! I think the OHTSU tires on the #1 were rare. Some very good old school finds on these trikes.

k10seibel
07-02-2011, 02:56 AM
Getting closer.....
Temporarily being used as a cartoon couch! This is what happens when I watch the kids and try to make progress....:confused:
Hope to get more done this weekend. Staring the reto build too.
Happy 4th eveyone!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic012.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic011.jpg

jcs003
07-02-2011, 03:46 AM
that is amazing. wish my 86 was that nice.haha

CorvetteZ06
07-02-2011, 05:00 AM
loooks fantastic!!!!!!!!

socal
07-02-2011, 09:45 AM
Man that looks nice!Brings back so much memories of bringing my 87 home from the honda dealership,looked identical,except for the Hondaline bumper of course!Nice machine & cute kid!!!

wild250rman
07-02-2011, 09:51 AM
HRC bumper looks good red.

danhung11
07-02-2011, 09:51 AM
I like the cartoon couch, wanna trade for brand new set of italian leather? :p

Looks great, though! Why the 88-89 seat?

k10seibel
07-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Why the 88-89 seat?

Well......
I debated plenty on this???
I had a 2nd gen OEM '86-'87 complete seat from Honda, but it came with '88-'89 foam. That's just what you got when you ordered a '86-'87 replacement back in the day. Everything is correct except the foam, and just a "HONDA" logo on the rear. I wanted to have the foam shaved down, but then the factory rear "HONDA" logo would be to low when reinstalled, so I just opted to get it stenciled with the "Fourtrax" lettering on the sides. The "F" is unfortunately a little bit off on both sides due to a two piece stencil (got a hefty discount). I do have a pretty decent original '87 seat to keep with this bike if I ever need of it. It's just not as perfectly "new" looking as this replacement. Actually it looks great in the pictures, but not so much in person (definitely used). I know it's obvious to the trained eye that the foam height is '88-'89 on the one installed???? Oh well... I'm pretty satisfied.
Thanks for the compliments and words of encouragement, guys!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm103.jpg

k10seibel
07-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I've got the '86 Selvys "Wright" retro rider underway. Just barely though...
Going to be working on the '87 OEM build engine this weekend with any luck. It's suppose to be REAL hot here so I might fire up the little window A/C unit and just stay in the garage. Anyway here's a pic of the '86 retro start.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic021.jpg

Oh and got another crated ATC 250R "mini me" (NOS)

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic023.jpg

205dke187
07-16-2011, 06:53 AM
your collection is awesome... how did you find the ones in the crates?

wild250rman
07-16-2011, 07:41 AM
how 'bout i take that dusty old 89 off your hands?:devil:

danhung11
07-16-2011, 10:37 AM
Sweet baby jesus... :blah:

Nice collection for sure Andy!

Pumashine
07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I would like to get a calender for next year with one of Andy's R's on each page.

k10seibel
07-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys!
I found the Tomy ATC power wheels a while back on ebay. It started at $499 BIN, then $399 BIN, then $299 or offer.
I offered about half, and whala free shipping included! I about crapped.
The real NOS '86 ATC 250R came from Oregon, and was just a real lucky web find. I think most have heard the story already. Might put it up for sale again.
Yes, that '89 is REAL dusty... Kids were writing in the dust again. I'm going to refurbish (buff out) it's old OEM plastic for the reto racer project, as I hope to ride that one. The '89 will be next then with NOS Honda plastic. Here's the seat the Mosh's did for me. It was an NOS black covered second gen replacement seat. They recovered it and steciled the rear and sides. It's pretty close to an '89 OE version. My original has a couple dry splits and is a bit "hard"
BTW, thanks Mosh Family!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic025.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic024.jpg

http://http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic026.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm105-1.jpg

troybilt
07-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Looks awesome Andy!! I couldn't imagine if you decided to build a 250r MX bike.. like a Laeger or Roll or something... holy cow!!!

205dke187
07-16-2011, 05:42 PM
there is one of those toys on ebay now. is it yours?

k10seibel
07-16-2011, 09:39 PM
Hey thanks Troy!

Nope, not me selling one. It just might be the same guy though???
I saw that too, and If memory serves me I think they both are from the same town or state. Maybe their buddies??
Same general price. If my wife wasn't so peeved at me for "more ATV nonsense" showing up at the door, I'd like to offer the same for that one too. Bet they'd take less than $200. Might even be a good investment. ?? Grab it up.

I guess the Tomy trike has a twist throttle switch or button that also makes a two stroke-ish revving sound. (LOL) Kinda makes me want to put her together.

205dke187
07-17-2011, 03:34 AM
i made an offer on it. thanks for the info..

honda400ex2003
07-17-2011, 05:55 PM
very very nice machines! I just did my 87 resto a bit but not nearly as much as you did. yours is truely sick! that engine NOS is just amazing!!!!!

steve

slamdak8782
07-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Probably my favorite thread ever

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Buttoned up the '87 OE resto tonight. Feel free to spot/call out something I might of missed....
I know a few didn't care for the new NOS seat with the higher foam height, so I snapped a few with the old seat. The old seat looks better in the pictures, but shows it's age in person.
Just picked up this little '87 TRX 70 last weekend too. Kinda like we took a trip back to '87 and just got home from the dealership! (LOL) "Dad lets go rid'n!"

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic097.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic098.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic088.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic095.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic101.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic104.jpg

Still just needs a nice OE rear skid, and a chain. Some day soon.....

danhung11
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Unbelieveable! Nice work as always Andy! Can you post pics of the bike straight on? I want to see that bumper. :)

honda400ex2003
08-07-2011, 07:38 PM
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

WOW that thing is beautiful... you have inspired me to keep looking to get mine closer to being original just by seeing those pics.

looks amazing congratulations!!! id build a plexi case and store it in your garage just to look at it. i have often thought about that with mine after i get it a bit further.

steve

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Can you post pics of the bike straight on? I want to see that bumper.

I took a slew of pictures, but didn't get one perfectly "straight on" per say. Didn't want to get carried away here, and come off like a douche, but ya talked me into a couple more. (LOL) :D

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic092.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic106.jpg

wild250rman
08-07-2011, 07:56 PM
reminds me of my blue and white 87 when i first got it. 24 years and they still have character. Great job Andy

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Thanks!
Yha, I love the blue/white look too. It's my favorite of the '86 & '87. I've changed color schemes on the retro racer and have found a nice blue tank, nose and seat. Got to have another blue/white R. I want it to resemble Steve's bike here.

Here's my '86 survivor. Not a restore, nothing touched. LOVE that blue.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705047.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705045.jpg

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 08:18 PM
The graphics are well produced by a select few venders. A lot of folks try, but seldom get it right. The '87 that I just did here has OEM graphics on the rear fender actually, and a reproduction set on the fronts. They're near perfect matches, but a very close eye can tell. Good enough for me though....
The rest is a lot of $, time and patients.
I hope some day after I'm done enjoying these Rs, I can recoup my sweat and investment. Keep'n my fingers crossed that the economy makes a recovery.

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd be happy to help ya out, Steve. Just give me a call sometime.
(608) 235-1103

honda400ex2003
08-07-2011, 08:27 PM
sounds great! thanks for your help. ill give you a call this week, most likely tomorrow evening.

sorry for clogging up your amazing thread, ill go back and delete them
steve

k10seibel
08-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Ahh...You don't have to. Really no worries.
Talk to ya soon!

stever250r
08-08-2011, 07:02 AM
ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!!!... The best restorations and nicest looking collection that I have ever seen. I agree that those bikes need to be behind a glass case!!!!

Maybe you could sneak them into the Air and Space Museum in DC and put them on display?? Im sure you could convince the 4 stroke kids of today that these were some type of super secret Lunar Landing Vehicle...... "VERY RARE" but you will occasionally see one on Craigslist or Ebay...:D

Again... Great Job!!

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Buttoned up the '87 OE resto tonight. Feel free to spot/call out something I might of missed....
absolulty beautiful!!!are you re anodizing the rims or are they just unridden oem rims, and if new oem were are you getting them from?

after looking i really dont want to pick apart cause its so nice , but the only thing that I saw was the rear brake master cylinder push rod, had some rust, are those available oem anymore?or able to use one from another type?

4x4 AG
08-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
absolulty beautiful!!!are you re anodizing the rims or are they just unridden oem rims, and is so were are you getting them from?

after looking i really dont want to pick apart cause its so nice , but the only thing that I saw was the rear brake master cylinder push rod, had some rust, are those available oem anymore?or able to use one from another type?

Wow you are tough. The only thing that I saw wrong was that he was missing a chain. :)

Stunningly beautiful......

DnB_racing
08-08-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 4x4 AG
Wow you are tough. The only thing that I saw wrong was that he was missing a chain. :)

Stunningly beautiful...... lol.... i felt bad saying anything,

but was curious about availability, cause it seams like he has access to everything else

wild250rman
08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks!
Yha, I love the blue/white look too. It's my favorite of the '86 & '87. I've changed color schemes on the retro racer and have found a nice blue tank, nose and seat. Got to have another blue/white R. I want it to resemble Steve's bike here.

Here's my '86 survivor. Not a restore, nothing touched. LOVE that blue.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705047.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705045.jpg
I had bought a blue and white 86 from a collection that addictedtomud had a few years back then turned around and sold it back to him and he resold and that person ended up parting it out, it was in similar condition as yours what a waste.

Gapper
10-13-2011, 08:11 AM
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic097.jpg

[img]http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/ebay12705045.jpg

Oh wow! Both unbelievable looking. Great work!

And thanks for the info on different paint brands/numbers and such! I don't plan on fully restoring my blue and white '86, but I would love to touch some things up here and there(A-arms, etc.).

Again, super job!

k10seibel
10-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Thanks a lot guys. The kind compliments make the hard work that much more rewarding!

Originally posted by DnB_racing
absolulty beautiful!!!are you re anodizing the rims or are they just unridden oem rims, and if new oem were are you getting them from?

The gold wheels are NOS or very lightly used wheels. Not re-anodized.
The rear brake m/c push rods are a Black Chromate OEM finish. Might look like rust, but it's not. The ATC's have a Zinc/Cad finish which is the silver~ish color you might be expecting.??? I may have the exact finish names wrong, but the plating is OEM. No rusty left overs here.

BTW, this '87 R has been posted a while and no one pointed out that I forgot to slap on the rear "FOURTRAX" decal. '87 only, goes across the right rear fender lip, as read from the rear. Came across that sticker the other day in my decal stash, but as things go....still haven't applied it. I'll post a pic when I get to it here soon. Still working on the Dodge Neon resurrection here. :( Past month's fun, NOT! :)

11-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Just had to bump this back to the top. :D

beobe99
11-15-2012, 06:24 PM
K10 you are the master! Amazing work and dedication. Next time someone tells me I'm obsessed with R's, I'll point them to this thread!

Your Blood is Pre-mixed!

k10seibel
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by beobe99
K10 you are the master! Amazing work and dedication. Next time someone tells me I'm obsessed with R's, I'll point them to this thread!

Your Blood is Pre-mixed!

Too funny... Thanks guys!

I fixed a few shortcomings on this '87 since posting last, starting with replacing the (leaking) incorrect rear shock. Latley I've gotten carried away with replated hardware. I originally used a 450R swingarm pivot bolt, but now replaced it with the '87 original (now replated) . I removed the E-brake cable push button out of the lever clevise and had it replated. Also got some front OE shock bodies replated. My plating guy will even replate the various hoses to renew the bung eyelet ends and such. Tarnish BE GONE... Still waiting on some of the stuff to return, but will post pics soon.

dpaine
12-17-2012, 08:37 PM
This thread is great! What an impressive build!

K10, I am looking to have some arms powder coated. Do you do any work on the side? I sent you a PM. Thanks!!

k10seibel
12-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Thanks dpaine!
Unfortunately with the holidays and such I won't be in the garage much in the next few weeks. I PM'd you a reply last Friday (12/14).
Keep in touch. I may be more able to take on work in the new year.??
-Andy

k10seibel
04-06-2013, 10:52 AM
Here's a couple upgraded details on the '87 OE TRX since last posted. Rear "FOURTRAX" decal, and E-brake clevis parts replated.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-06_07-52-15_640.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Clutchcableleverretored2.jpg

NOW.... The Selvy retro racer build begins! :) (will be a "rider")
After almost 2 years since powdering this '86 frame I've finally made some progress. Some things will be different on this, as time has passed. This previously posted picture below of my '86 retro racer's swingarm , stickered "CALFAB" was a mistake. I found out it's actually a rare Paul Turner swingarm from Paul's days with Team Honda. He made very few of them, and they were part of Marty Hart's '85-'86 ATC 250Rs.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2011frolic021.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Swingarm-PaulTurner4.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Swingarm-PaulTurner1.jpg

(file photo/not my arm)
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Swingarm-PaulTurner2.jpg

(file photo/not my arm)
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/Swingarm-PaulTurner3.jpg

At the time I thought mine was a CAL FAB, I was planning to use it on this retro racer "rider". I thought I'd have Jody Meadows add the rear upper carrier housing gussets I'd seen on most other CALFABs for added strength. In hind site, I wish I'd left that arm alone. I won't be running it on this "rider" build now, knowing few still exist. Jody did a real clean job on this arm. Not many would even know without a side by side picture..... Oh well.:ermm:

k10seibel
04-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Also the NOS engine posted previously (see pic below) is now in a on going OEM '86 ATC 250R build. It was just too pristine to run/ride for me, though I'm sure some here will scoff.

I found another NOS/take out engine from an "banned" dismantled '86 ATC 250R. This engine isn't quite as pretty cosmetically (has shelf scars). Notice the chopped stator wire harness, as was done to deem the engines unusable (per Honda at the time). I'm removing the top end and installing a SELVYS Performance jug. This particular cylinder was ported by Rob Selvy's crew back in the day and is engraved with "WRIGHT" on the bottom. A matching Selvy pipe and silencer will also be added. The now installed swingarm is a -1" WESTCOAST. These -1" WC arms are kinda rare too, but less likely to stress crack and are easily re-powdercoated :)

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-26-15_204.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-26-04_633.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-31-19_450.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-28-52_65.jpg

Here's a look at the inside, as new. NO rust!!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_16-03-27_823.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_16-02-17_361.jpg

jerorski
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
you do very nice work.

k10seibel
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks jerorski!
I slipped the Selvy jug on tonight. Wish I was going to be home tomorrow to fire this.... Maybe an all nighter ?? Can't wait to ride an R again!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-06_22-46-11_157.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-06_22-47-09_580.jpg

bsmith106
04-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Did you do any prep work to the nos engine. I have one and I've been wanting to use it but wasn't sure about running it because it has sat so long. I pulled the head and the cylinder looks just like yours just not sure about the seals/ gaskets and maybe bearings.

k10seibel
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Obviously changed the the lower end oil. Gana roll the dice. I think it'll be fine. Bottom end/insides look real good from the little seen with the cyl off. This one came from the nothern west cost, so I was a little worried about corrosion. Really pleasantly surprised. I don't ride real hard (or often), so it'll be babied. A leak down and compression test will be done for sure. I'll re-change the oil again after initial break in.

J250r
04-07-2013, 06:23 PM
I love looking at your threads and the work you do.

Absolutely top-notch!

beobe99
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
OK, now I'm just annoyed with how sick this is turning out..

Great job man....

k10seibel
04-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Thanks guys!
I'm excited to go riding this summer!

Rich250RRacer
04-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Also the NOS engine posted previously (see pic below) is now in a on going OEM '86 ATC 250R build. It was just too pristine to run/ride for me, though I'm sure some here will scoff.

I found another NOS/take out engine from an "banned" dismantled '86 ATC 250R. This engine isn't quite as pretty cosmetically (has shelf scars). Notice the chopped stator wire harness, as was done to deem the engines unusable (per Honda at the time). I'm removing the top end and installing a SELVYS Performance jug. This particular cylinder was ported by Rob Selvy's crew back in the day and is engraved with "WRIGHT" on the bottom. A matching Selvy pipe and silencer will also be added. The now installed swingarm is a -1" WESTCOAST. These -1" WC arms are kinda rare too, but less likely to stress crack and are easily re-powdercoated :)

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-26-15_204.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-26-04_633.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-31-19_450.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_15-28-52_65.jpg

Here's a look at the inside, as new. NO rust!!

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_16-03-27_823.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-04-05_16-02-17_361.jpg

I'm in need of the decal on the frame that is right above the lower radiator hose, have you been able to get these reproduced or is it NOS?

k10seibel
04-10-2013, 03:52 AM
Rich250RRacer 4/6/11

socal 4/6/11
Contact member ddrslapp,I think he prints those?Dam that motor makes me happy!

k10seibel 4/6/11

Rich250RRacer 4/9/13
I'm in need of the decal on the frame that is right above the lower radiator hose, have you been able to get these reproduced or is it NOS?

Sorry you missed this, but we kinda addressed this one already......
ddrrslap has them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-250R-1989-1988-CAUTION-FRAME-DECALS-TRX250R-TRX-NICE-/350758380867?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51aad42543&nma=true&si=GqGt1voa6ytWMBPfAaYy74%252B5lJU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Harlan Lynse (member739346) has them too from time to time. Just message either of these two sellers via ebay. Good luck with your project!

http://www.ebay.com/csc/member739346/m.html?item=221211710193&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item33813ed2f1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Rich250RRacer
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Rich250RRacer 4/6/11

socal 4/6/11

k10seibel 4/6/11

Rich250RRacer 4/9/13

Sorry you missed this, but we kinda addressed this one already......
ddrrslap has them on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-250R-1989-1988-CAUTION-FRAME-DECALS-TRX250R-TRX-NICE-/350758380867?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item51aad42543&nma=true&si=GqGt1voa6ytWMBPfAaYy74%252B5lJU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Harlan Lynse (member739346) has them too from time to time. Just message either of these two sellers via ebay. Good luck with your project!

http://www.ebay.com/csc/member739346/m.html?item=221211710193&pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item33813ed2f1&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Thanks, I must have missed this last time.

k10seibel
06-25-2013, 03:07 PM
Some more progress. Hope to get to ride it this summer. Summer weekends are so busy though with 3 kids.....
I've run it through a few heat cycles and it sounds/feels pretty healthy. Kicks hard (200 psi), fires right up, Idles well, and no leaks! :)
A huge THANKS to Rob Selvy for helping with set up mathematics and initial carb settings. Rob's the Man!
The pipe is a hand pounded/fusion welded Selvy Sonic with matching silencer. The carb is a PJ 38 machined to a tapered bore and polished smooth (Sonic 3 treatment). I also swapped out the NOS cut stator for a new 200w unit (future Baja build/dress), and added a heavy weighted flywheel & spacer.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/photobucket-61972-1372131026376.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/photobucket-73489-1372131060478.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-06-16_20-18-55_372.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-06-16_20-20-39_470.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-06-24_12-22-49_334.jpg

06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
So bad ***.

k10seibel
07-26-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks, 8686! ^^^

I recently refurbished a pair of old CAL FAB nerf bars for this bike. Here's the before and after pics. I had the old worn out nets reproduced by a cargo net company.

BEFORE
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/NerfbarsCALFABbefore1.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/NerfbarsCALFABbefore4.jpg

AFTER
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-04_19-53-54_762.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-07_15-49-32_905.jpghttp://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-07_15-50-08_423.jpg

k10seibel
07-26-2013, 07:23 AM
1st time cutting/trimming front fenders... Pretty happy with how they finished out. I used a drill along a pre drawn line and then belt sanded them smooth.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-16_18-21-59_177.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-16_18-21-45_225.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/8b97be6c-c4f3-4355-9588-a0877b334785.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-16_18-36-59_785.jpg

k10seibel
07-26-2013, 07:33 AM
Installed the rest of the body & gas tank. Got a little sticker happy. Bloody mess.....:devil:
I still need to dial the front end in a little and apply the registration decals, but it's close to trail ready.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-22_18-42-31_180.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-22_18-44-43_683.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-22_18-49-07_54.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-22_18-46-43_611.jpg

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-23_17-58-48_259.jpg

Blodg
07-26-2013, 01:45 PM
LOL @ the blood. Like so many others have said such beautiful machines and work man... Seeing these machines makes me want to build a replica of the '86 I had or the '89 I bought brand new off the show room floor. But on 2nd thought I ride all my machines and would be afraid to if they looked as nice as yours.

triplejay30349
07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
you're going to hit the trails with those rear tires!

k10seibel
07-27-2013, 12:22 AM
Thanks guys! Have'n a lot of fun with this build.
IDK, I've got 3 sets of those rears, so a ride or two wouldn't hurt much. I wasn't planning to leave them on permanently. Some stuff like the rear ties and nerfbars will come off before too long. Jewelry more for pictures. Might put it in Baja trim next, bigger tank and lights. I have a couple of Lance Schoonmaker tanks. They require a little bit of cutting at the frame's front stock tank mounting tab, and front fenders to fit properly. More than I really want to do right now, but will at some point. Just the bug eye twin Baja lights and a Clarke tank for staters. This bike will get plenty of switcheroo.....

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-21_16-39-55_340.jpg

k10seibel
07-29-2013, 09:28 AM
Here's the lights and tank.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/2013-07-28_21-43-40_442.jpg

DnB_racing
07-29-2013, 07:05 PM
one thing for sure... you have the coolest collection of assorted parts...

love watching your builds, you can see the love and dedication in every thing you do!!!
your a true enthusiast

fx4pitrone
07-30-2013, 08:44 PM
^^^^what he said x2^^^!! Love when I see you have updated your resto. threads w/ new pics! Truly a pleasure to see!!

DezSled
07-31-2013, 08:01 PM
Check out the modification I had done to allowed use of a unmodified head stay, otherwise the head stay had to be cut in half to run it. I had the updated 6 gallon tank like on the right, left is the earlier version. Nice stuff man!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/Dezsled/39caa22eb42d530e8c80f0def469f050.jpg

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j300/Dezsled/64e6043870141f186a54d419f938b523.jpg

ytman
08-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Nice mod DezSled. I think I made the same notch. When I get home I may put a pocket in the front for the stock tank mount, since I welded it back on my Laeger. When I go to use my tank again I am going to put anti-slosh foam inside. I think that's why it cracks. I think the fuel is jammed into the small end of the tank and forces the top away from the bottom. I've seen a few of these crack here. Mine included.
1718104336Nice lights k10. Are both lights the same? I always liked one fog and one pencil beam.

k10seibel
08-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Nice lights k10. Are both lights the same? I always liked one fog and one pencil beam.

I have no idea. I too, want a spot and fog light. I've never known what to look for, of coarse until I light them up. Guess I'll have to wait till then. Is it the bulb or canister that is the primary difference in focus area, or a maybe a combination of both?? I'll have to check and see if either of my Schoonmaker tanks are altered yet for easier fitment. Thanks for sharing guys!

ytman
08-04-2013, 05:58 PM
It's all in the reflector. Although I have noticed more diffusion in the lens of the driving and fog lights. Pencils lens tend to have clear glass.

k10seibel
08-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Ah, okay. Both my lights look to be the same (unfortunately) as far as lenses/reflectors and bulbs. If I had to guess I'd say they look like spot lights. They're old Dick Cepek units, and have no reference to spot/fog. Anybody know if Dick Cepek is even in business or carries lights anymore? Maybe just 4X4 truck stuff??
After checking, my Schoonmaker tanks look to be unmolested (no notches/reliefs) and would require some elbow grease to fit. Someday........
Thanks again for the education on these parts!

ytman
08-04-2013, 07:52 PM
k10 I can't seem to find any news about Dick Cepek going out of business nor can I find any source for parts or compatible sources. They still make tires tho. I have some lights with broken glass. I'm sure some other brand will fit. I'm just not sure which one.
Before I molested my tank I cut half of my head stay off.1718104344 I still had to cut the front tank mount off tho.

D Bergstrom
08-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Those lights appear to have driving beam lenses in them, look just like the driving lenses in one of my Baja Designs HID' s. A pencil lenses is perfectly clear, while a fog lenses would have even more diffusion.

The only thing I have seen from Dick Cepek in years is tires, I think they are pretty much done as far as off-road parts. I am guessing those are just halogen lights, correct? If so, should be able to buy just about any halogen light that is the same diameter in whatever beam pattern you want, and replace the lights you have. With two lights, I also prefer one pencil and one driving, but if you are just trail riding/duning, you should be fine with the lights you have.

Doug

D Bergstrom
08-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Now that I think about it, are those 8" diameter lights? If so, Baja Design's may have lenses for them. I know their lenses fit old Cibie brand lights, and those were around the same time as Dick Cepek lights. If you remove one of the lenses and post some pics of it, I can compare them to my lenses. Or just give Baja Designs a call, worth a shot.

Doug

k10seibel
08-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Cool, thanks ytman, & Doug!
Yes, both my lights are Halogen and the canisters measure just under 8" in diameter. The lenses are about 6.5" in diameter, so I assume these would be considered 8" lights?? I'll be trail riding at most with these lights, so as long as the bulbs light up they should fit the need. Kinda overkill, but it should be fun. I think I've got $80 invested in this twin bug eye set up, so why go stock??? :)

DnB_racing
08-06-2013, 07:20 AM
Andy, the plastic fenders you cut...save the extra plastic pieces...

I've plastic welded fenders a few times and with the right colored filler plastic and a little sanding you cant even tell the difference,
it works great for broken mounting tabs and elongated mounting holes or even missing tabs... with a little patience you can recreate a missing mounting tab to look almost original

08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Looks awesome!