PDA

View Full Version : powdercoating nerf bars

ltr450z
04-05-2011, 11:36 AM
does anyone have black nerf bars or powdercoated their nerf bars black? just wondering if the powdercoat gets scratched off or chipped off? cause i dont wana powdercoat my nerfs and have them look bad after a month.

Aarons 01 400EX
04-12-2011, 10:26 PM
I have a buddy with black powder coated pro armor nerfs and we mainly trail ride. Powdercoat mainly dents, not chip off like paint.

I just bought some pro armor nerfs and had them powder coated by someone local and he demonstrated the durability of the powder coat on his own bike, by taking a pair of pliers and smacking the hell out of the PC. There were a few dents, but you wouldn't see them unless you got real close.

scotturban
04-13-2011, 11:23 AM
It depends on the powdercoat, and prep and stuff, I bought brand new mx nerfs from ac powdercoated black and it didnt hold up worth a crap, but Ive had other things powdercoated and has been tougher, since you said you trail ride, depending on how hardcore of riding you do it might scratch off, if your bashing them off of trees then yes it will, but if your just putting through the woods I think you should be fine

supraloud84
04-14-2011, 05:22 AM
I powder coated my nerfs red, along with a ton of other parts. I really put them throught the paces last year with woods trails and rock railroad beds. The only things that have shown any wear thus far are my frame guards where my boots rub and the contact point on my shifter. The nerfs look as good as the day they came out of the oven. Most of the stuff that you buy pc'd i think is a dip process or something because it seems to wear really fast.

Aarons 01 400EX
06-24-2011, 01:48 AM
I took my quad to Hatfield-McCoy in WV and no PC was lost off the nerfs. I did lose some PC on my rims due to some rocks, but didn't notice it tilli got real close.

Kovatch
06-24-2011, 09:08 AM
Black looks great for about a year. I bought GYTR nerfs, AC bumper and they are both starting to chip/flake. The bike is over 2 years old and I do race/ride MX very often. We have somewhat rocky soil; thus, there are more knicks and scratches. I will be powdercoating a lot of pieces this winter to freshen up the bike.

The dirt, dust, water marks all show up on black. However, you can take the parts off and throw some spray paint on then to cover up some rather large bare spots... Temporary until you can re-PC them. Hard to say if I would do black again or not. It does look pretty nice when it is polished up...

300ex_#387
06-26-2011, 03:51 PM
I've had black nerfs on all my race quads the last couple years. I had a set of AC that looked awful after a year of racing. I sent them to pappy and he coated them black and cleared them. Now it didn't stop it from looking brand new the rest of the year but it sure looked a lot better then the AC's coating did.