PDA

View Full Version : 400ex

atver13
04-04-2011, 09:22 PM
my buddy is getting a 426 kit in his ex and i was wondering if i would be able to keep up with him and or beat him in a drag race im geting a stock bore 11to 1 comp piston in mine with a stage2 hot cam let me know what you guys think and do the scoops make it run cooler

400exmxrider15
04-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Make sure your stock bore isnt out of spec. Mine was and I had to bore to a 402.... I have a 10:1 and i raced a 426 with a stage 1 and i had him, but i let off the throttle and he smoked me...i have 10:1 stock cam, 402 bore....

atver13
04-04-2011, 09:52 PM
im also thinking about getting a 450r do u think i would beat him

CJM
04-04-2011, 09:54 PM
Yes, you will beat him with a 450r.

atver13
04-04-2011, 09:56 PM
like i said i have a 400ex right now how is the maintenance on the 450r like how long can u go between oil changes?

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Yes, you will beat him with a 450r.

x2

A 400ex needs some serious work to beat a 450r. All a 450r needs is a slip-on and intake and it's over for the 400ex.

atver13
04-04-2011, 10:00 PM
even with a 426 and stage 2 hot came

atver13
04-04-2011, 10:31 PM
also what do u think about the hrc kit for the 450r

CJM
04-04-2011, 10:52 PM
HRC basically is a stage 2 hot cam, better needle and a filter.

But yes it will beat you. Depending on the 450r and rider I can beat them barely or stay even or they barely overtake me. HOWEVER I have a worked 416. Were talking losing or winning by maybe a quad length.

I CAN keep up just fine with them, thats a non issue.

But it took alot of money, time and effort to get there. When i bought my EX the 450R was still going for 5-6k USED, I stole my EX for 1500 bucks cause it needed work and I probably have another 1500-2000 into it in the end between all the junk I did (some of which I just wanted and wasnt needed tbh).

So take it for what its worth, the 450r will beat ya most of the time. simply cant replace those 50cc's without alot of work and time and money especially.

Why everyone is so obsessed about this Ill never know.

400exshop
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
If the 450r is stock and he knows how to ride he will blow your doors off. just cuz its a 450 dont mean its fast....

If you want to know about drag racing go to atvdra.com,atv drag racers.com,atv horespower junkies.com or planet asphult.com thats all the drag racing site you can also get with me or johndo83 we are the drag racers on here.

trailrider894
04-05-2011, 01:37 PM
Learn to ride a 426 with complimenting mods, you will smoke even the best built 450r's with crappy riders. The quote " theres no replacement for displacement " has no application in MX or XC. Or even low level Drag racing. Its all about knowing shift points and using the right setup. I have raced C and B Class MX on my 400ex and taken home 1st and 2nd more than once, and that is against LTR's, YFZ's, Hondas, etc.... If you do the math on gearing, tire sizes, width, balance points, wheel offsets, suspension setup, etc.... You will eat everyone out there by just never slowing down. Anyone can pin a bike in a straight line, but they all slow down at the corners, I can blast right on through them!!!

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
I dont know what it is about these EXs???

Mine looks severly modded, but as far as motor mods goes, all I have is a 11:1 440 kit, stage 2 cam, 450r carb, slight valve work, custom intake, open header "no slip on"...NO port and polish.

I run High mod 450s at the drag strip all the time, Im not talking about a lil bored with cam and pipe, I mean high mod 450s with good riders!

The 400ex when done right is just really fast....lol.

CJM
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
It is possible to beat the 450 IF you spend alot of cash. Ive raced, rode with and beat and lost to more than a few (be it a honda, yamaha or whatever). That means you need the suspension, engine mods, exhaust, etc. Also helps if your a good rider.

Main thing is tho, that once they slap on a pipe, do a cam, open the airbox, and jet the bike-its over if they can ride any good at all. The EX with mods might make 35hp, maybe 37hp if your lucky. Stock the EX makes about 28hp. With mods the 450 can push 40hp, its starting out with 37hp already.

I can beat my friends 450r b/c its geared low for torque-we start off, he pulls on me than he runs out of gears and I fly past. I raced a few others, when I had a 16T front I either beat them or came damn close-I had top speed. But you cant have it all in the end. Rider ability is what really counts, you could have a DS650 and a 400ex could beat ya if you dont know how to ride.

But like I said before: that extra 50cc's gives them alot of potential. Who cares whose faster, my friends have totally stock 400s and they keep up ok, not great but ok. Throw a few bucks into them and they should have no issues.

Why do you guys obsess over this speed thing and beating stuff? If you truly want to be king of the hill you will wind up spending TONS of cash-for what-so you can say your the fastest?

atver13
04-05-2011, 04:39 PM
i see what u are saying but me and him race alot and its nice to have bragging rights. whats is the maintenance like on the 450s compared to the 400ex

trailrider894
04-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by atver13
i see what u are saying but me and him race alot and its nice to have bragging rights. whats is the maintenance like on the 450s compared to the 400ex

You can't compare... I've never heard of a 450r that is still running the stock piston after 10yrs of 100's of HARD hours of riding... It's unheard of... In the life of my EX the valves were never adjusted until about a year ago when i got smart and learned how to work on these things.

atver13
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
well how is the 700xx

CJM
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
well how is the 700xx

Heavy as hell and doesnt handle worth a poo.

450s are pretty reliable, my buddys 05 450r has easily 500 or more hours on the stock piston with no issues. He adjusts the valves maybe, never seen him do more than change the oil tho-still keeps on going.

You want true power outta the EX you need at least a 416, 11:1 piston, cam, jetting, 450r carb, open air box, exhaust and gearing among other things.

atver13
04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
thats more work to my 400 than i wanna do and shes getting old. the only thing that ive been seeing about the 450s that i dont like is the oil changes some say 100 and others say 10hrs and i dont plan on doing anything to mine if i get one other than a pipe filter and jet kit

CJM
04-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Changing oil and trans oil on those is EASY peasy. I change every 4-6 rides for me thats about 20-30 hours.

atver13
04-05-2011, 06:46 PM
what about rebuilding it my 400 is 11yrs old and has more than 1500hrs on it and has never been messed with other than oil change and filter how far can you go with the 450

Honda.rider5871
04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
well how is the 700xx
We own a 08 700xx with a couple mods got it for $4899 as a closeout model right off the showroom floor. The motors basicly stock and ive beat a couple buit 450s, 400s , and a 250r in a drag. There awesome trail bikes ride liek a utility and have that sport feel and power, and once you get used to the IRS you wont want anything else. I did have to drop a tooth on the front sprocket becasue it was geared a little high for my type of riding. I woudl strongly reccommend someone that trail rides or races Xc to look into buying one, although i woudl want to race mx or anything like than on one. They dont feel heavy and the handling seems no worse than my 400, but im pushign 200 lbs. so that might have soemthing to do with it. Its overall a great bike and woudl never own a 450 after riding one unless i was strictly riding mx. I figured id jump in here and give a honest opinion on someone that actually owns the quad, rather than you listening to a biased person that doesnt like that quad becasue its not a 450

CJM
04-05-2011, 07:11 PM
FWIW: I rode the 700, it would be awesome if it didnt have IRS and was about 25-50lbs lighter. Thats where honda failed imho, the bike should have come with an option for IRS but a solid axle shoulda been stock-they woulda have cornered the raptor market quick.

I tried it ride it as aggressive as I ride my 400 and it almost tipped over on me multiple times, couldnt jump with it well either due to the irs soaking up the ramps. The same reason I dislike the raptor and any other higher quad-they want to tip cause they are high up. You would be hard pressed to follow me on a trail competently with one of those bikes and not hurt yourself.

I suppose it also depends on your riding area. If you live where its mostly flat and not rocky or such you can use the larger 600cc+ quads better b/c thats what they were designed to do-race fast in the desert.

But to each his own.

grassman
04-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Ive ridden a 700xx many of times and it is just a different animal... Its got its good and bad... If I had to choose between a 450r and a 700xx I would take the 700xx. (unless your riding mx) The fuel injection and reverse make it a much better choice for the trail. The IRS takes some getting use to... But hey its all Honda so its all good!!!

trailrider894
04-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I think the EX with +3's and 4:1 Wheels with a extended rear swingarm and a +4 Axle is by far the best handling machine i have EVER riden... I've riden everything... including KTM and the EX owns them all..... The EX only had 450r revalves with triple rates.

Honda.rider5871
04-05-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by CJM
FWIW: I rode the 700, it would be awesome if it didnt have IRS and was about 25-50lbs lighter. Thats where honda failed imho, the bike should have come with an option for IRS but a solid axle shoulda been stock-they woulda have cornered the raptor market quick.

I tried it ride it as aggressive as I ride my 400 and it almost tipped over on me multiple times, couldnt jump with it well either due to the irs soaking up the ramps. The same reason I dislike the raptor and any other higher quad-they want to tip cause they are high up. You would be hard pressed to follow me on a trail competently with one of those bikes and not hurt yourself.

I suppose it also depends on your riding area. If you live where its mostly flat and not rocky or such you can use the larger 600cc+ quads better b/c thats what they were designed to do-race fast in the desert.

But to each his own.
The xx has way better acceleration , revs quicker and is fuel injected, on top of that I recently put fox shocks, Houser arms, and a stabilizer to help the 700xxs steering , theres no way you coudl keep up with me in the trails we ride up here

CJM
04-05-2011, 07:45 PM
Speed and power isnt everything, if it was everyone would run a larger, more powerfull quad.

Honda.rider5871
04-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Motor and power isn't everything but suspension is that's why if read the whole post u wuld see that I put fox shocks, houser extended arms , and a stabilizer which makes a huge difference

CJM
04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Honda.rider5871
Motor and power isn't everything but suspension is that's why if read the whole post u wuld see that I put fox shocks, houser extended arms , and a stabilizer which makes a huge difference

If you say so.

Like I said, if the larger bikes such as the raptor, DS, 700 and such were so good every pro level racer from gncc to every mx would run them-they dont however and that speaks volumes.

You guys can buy whatever you want, I dont care. I stated my opinion and Im done.

grassman
04-05-2011, 08:28 PM
The xx has way better acceleration , revs quicker and is fuel injected, on top of that I recently put fox shocks, Houser arms, and a stabilizer to help the 700xxs steering , theres no way you coudl keep up with me in the trails we ride up here You got any pics of the xx? Ive seen what you did with your 08 and it looks good....Ide like to see that xx... My buddy has one and Ive been telling him to look into better suspension to help with the steering...

trailrider894
04-05-2011, 10:38 PM

NOOOO!!! :rolleyes: Not another one....

The bike has nothing to do with it!!! YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!

Riding is easy, any one can get on an atv and cruise through some trails. Riding Fast is like ballet... It is graceful and meticulous... I balance my quad with my feet. I can make it slide while driving in a straight line by just a slight twitch of the handlebar and a twitch from the foot... Staying low and keeping you body shifted for the correct center of gravity and compensating for body roll and staying light for the rocks, but being heavy for the straights. Its all about being one with your bike, and knowing its every move and reaction to every obstacle, rut, jump, whoop, etc... I can outride probably most all of you in the woods, regardless of your fancy Fox Evol Floatless Gold Plated Triple Valved 60w Blinker Fluid Nitrous Injected 4000cc Two Stroke 4 Cylinder 3 Wheeler...

I don't wanna come off as prideful, but look back... We are all pussies for complaining about our suspension being to stiff and B.S> like that... The Forefathers of MX were riding nearly hardtail MX bikes back in, yep you got it, 190-flippin-9 lets repeat that... !!!1909!!! Wake up and smell the coffee people!!!! ITS THE RIDER NOT THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight. :)

finsteratv
04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by trailrider894
NOOOO!!! :rolleyes: Not another one....

The bike has nothing to do with it!!! YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!

Riding is easy, any one can get on an atv and cruise through some trails. Riding Fast is like ballet... It is graceful and meticulous... I balance my quad with my feet. I can make it slide while driving in a straight line by just a slight twitch of the handlebar and a twitch from the foot... Staying low and keeping you body shifted for the correct center of gravity and compensating for body roll and staying light for the rocks, but being heavy for the straights. Its all about being one with your bike, and knowing its every move and reaction to every obstacle, rut, jump, whoop, etc... I can outride probably most all of you in the woods, regardless of your fancy Fox Evol Floatless Gold Plated Triple Valved 60w Blinker Fluid Nitrous Injected 4000cc Two Stroke 4 Cylinder 3 Wheeler...

I don't wanna come off as prideful, but look back... We are all pussies for complaining about our suspension being to stiff and B.S> like that... The Forefathers of MX were riding nearly hardtail MX bikes back in, yep you got it, 190-flippin-9 lets repeat that... !!!1909!!! Wake up and smell the coffee people!!!! ITS THE RIDER NOT THE BIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodnight. :)
I LIKE THIS GUY and agree with him, sooo many people buy mods to improve the ride. BUT how many people actually focus on weaknesses in them self and new technique. i dont care if my bikes stock and yours is modded to the moon. i know my bike super well and for me thats part of the thrill. being one with your machine, feel it alive and as though its part of you.