PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

Honda4LifeWes36
04-04-2011, 07:09 PM
I'm an idiot and broke off the long bolt to the oil filter cap. How do I go about getting it out? I already got the new one to put back in but unsure of how to get the old one out!!

PaRedneckRiders
04-04-2011, 07:10 PM
if you have a long skinny reverse thread drill bit that should do it just make sure not to tear up the threads

CJM
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
How far down is it busted? If your lucky you might be able to take a screwdriver and smack it out slowly turning it as you go. If its way down there, maybe an extractor or reverse bit. Otherwise the clutch covers gonna have to come off.

Honda4LifeWes36
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Eh its pretty deep. Taking it to my uncles shop on Wednesday to see what he can do. I have so much trouble with that d*mn oil filter its not even funny!!

CJM
04-04-2011, 07:23 PM
I myself only use a 1/4 driver ratchet and choke up on the head of it and make it snug, never tight.

Honda4LifeWes36
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
I must be putting the O ring on wrong. But I think theres almost no way to put it on wrong LOL!

Because I put a new one on and tightened it as you do and it was leaking so I tightened it up a little more and the ring wasnt setting right and was coming up over the cap. And then the bolt broke adding to my wonderful day.

BenHonda400ex
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Haha, reminds me of when I broke a bolt on the mounting bar for the nerf bars. The u shaped mount that goes on the frame didn't want to go on tight so I started tightening and tightening and snap. I was so freakin mad, we tried to get a reverse bit but it didn't want to come out so we drilled it out and threaded a new bolt in it, but the bolt came out so if anyone has a mounting bar for a nerf bar I would buy it. You could try to get it out with a reverse bit but if it doesn't want to come out I wouldn't try it.

duroc825
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
I've had the same leaking problem occasionally. Make sure you clean all the surfaces and o-ring, lightly coat the o-ring with clean oil and lightly tighten bolts alternately until they are hand tight (snug).

Honda4LifeWes36
04-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Well now because of my dumba%& move, I gotta take the crankcase cover off to get it out.

I don't know why I cant get the gasket right. I must be doing something wrong. Will somebody post a step by step of changing the filter + gasket please? :D