PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem on my 440 Red and Black Build

IMSROLL450R
04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
I have everything mounted on my bike after a total 440 rebuild and am having some issues. I hooked all the harness up, put a new battery in it and turned the key on. The green neutral light lit up, so I hit the starter button to see if it would crank and it did with no issues. I tried it again in a bit right before i was gonna put the tank on full of fuel and NOTHING. The green light wont come on or anything. The battery has a full charge that I verified with my fluke multimeter. I have a spare harness with everything on it that I started swapping parts with after I checked the fuse. Fuse was good, as was the ICM, Regulator, Diode, Starter Relay, Ignition Coil, Ignition Switch, and Handlebar switch with the lights and killswitch in it. Oh, before all that I verified ground to the battery, by putting a probe on the positive terminal and then various other bare metal places on the frame with the other probe. The battery is grounded.

As I stated I cannot get ANYTHING to come on. What the hell is going on here??? Any ideas? I'd like to get this thing fired up asap but can't until I figure this out....:mad:

bbender85
04-04-2011, 07:07 PM
mine would do the same thing but it was the ground cable, which you said you checked. it's easy enough to check again i guess... best i have to offer. :ermm:

hurry up and figure it out, i wanna see this thing together lol. :D

IMSROLL450R
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by bbender85
mine would do the same thing but it was the ground cable, which you said you checked. it's easy enough to check again i guess... best i have to offer. :ermm:

hurry up and figure it out, i wanna see this thing together lol. :D

Dude, I'm pulling my gotdamn hair out. I want it finished SOOO bad its been 8 months!!!!!!!! I really dunno what to do. I am looking at the wiring diagram in the manual to see if that may shed some light. I HATE electrical crap....

IMSROLL450R
04-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Bump

irondaddy44
04-05-2011, 07:20 AM
well it sounds like you've checked everything. have you looked for kinks or spots that may have broke in the middle? its got to me something you missed. pull the fuse's and make sure there not rusty. i really dont have a clue. good luck bud. i been following this build so i want to see it too.

400exrider707
04-05-2011, 12:27 PM
That sucks dude.

You know how I fix electrical problems...

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e166/400exrider707/hammer.jpg

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 03:13 PM
check the wires that go to the key with a tester try it with the key on and off.

if the fuse looks good, put a new one on anyway.

powerbomb400
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Have you tried jumping the solneid to see its getting power to it. See if power is coming from the key when you turn the key on. Do you have the stock clutch perch on. Remember you have to pull the clutch in to get power to the starter. I took my stock perch off and pluged the wires together that went to the relay in the stock clutch perch so I could put a standard perch on.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 03:17 PM
also, my neut light burnt out once, it wont start unless you hold the clutch in.

IMSROLL450R
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
All very great solutions fellas but unfortunately, I am a moron. There is a green wire that comes off the harness right at the ignition coil that I had switched to the wrong end of the coil. ALSO, not the entire frame was grounded. Only the subframe. I pulled a subframe bolt, scraped some PC off the hole and put it back. She fired right up tonight with a fresh tank of U4.4!!!!!!!!!!!!