PDA

View Full Version : lol talk about werid jetting. plz read jetting guys

250rforlife
04-04-2011, 06:26 PM
ok well in my previous posts i have been talking about a 170 beeing to big. i thoug i had a 170 in my quad but i had a big surprize today. well like is said. slip on pipe, no lid, uni filter, 93 octange, 11:1 pistion. 8 heat range plug, 85mm bore and about 1200FT at 95e temp. well i pulld the plug today and i was really suprised after the jet i pulled out. wel the spark plug was almost black. it was dry but almost black. now remebr. this is the plug i used for the break in. and before i pulled this plug i didnt do a jetting pass. just normal riding. well i pulled out the main jet an its a 160???????????? its a kenin jet. i think its a stock carb. but now im not sure. this bike runs good and pulls like a mad man on the bottom cause of the hotcam. it pulls decent on the top. this quad does not bog out break out or sputer at any rpms. is this werid or is there a possibility its a 450r carb??

edit i looked up a 450r carb. its deffintly not a 450r carb. its a 400ex carb.

CJM
04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Try a 158, keep dropping till that plug is a tan/chocolate brown color.

Probably gonna need to be a 155 in the end. Your compression and cam doesnt change the jet to much, what does is the pipe and no lid.

I went thru the same thing a few months ago when I finally yanked the dynojet junk I had in there out. I had a 160 DJ which is about a 177 keihin jet. Went down a 170 keihin jet when it was cold and I expect to be at a 168 when it gets warmer.

Rich is ok, it doesnt do insane harm like lean. The reason it probably ran ok is it was probably colder out and if anything I found when mine was richer it had a bit more pep (or so I felt it did) but when i jetted it, it ran much better overall.

250rforlife
04-04-2011, 06:45 PM
ok. its a 160 kehnlin jet. the plug was run throught break in, normal riding, slow riding, idiling ect. this plug reading wasent don with a jetting pass. this plug reading is just from normal use.
this plug was run mosly in 20-50 degrees. btw. can i send u a txt of the plug. theres somthing intresting on it.

CJM
04-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Put it on the net for everyone to see, my phone is so old and junk it cant even connect to the net. Id like everyone to see if it you dont mind.

If anything if it was 95F outside and was previously 20-50F outside your jetting will of course be off. When its colder its more lean due to the dense cold air, when it gets warmer you can drop the jetting b/c the air isnt nearly as dense and heavy.

250rforlife
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM
im sryy. i was wanting to have a sugestion of my jetting for 95 temp. this plug was run in 20-50 degree weather. i cant post the plug. i dont got a camaera. sry. but the plug is a perfect color infront of the arch. where it crosses over the top of the plug. infront of the arch but not on the other side.

CJM
04-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Like I said, try a 158 or maybe 155 and see.

The best way to figure out how to get it near exact is a plug chop, as explained in the link in my signature.