PDA

View Full Version : swing arm pivot bolt removal

whc
04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
pulling my engine, need to remove the swing arm pivot bolt, nuts removed can not pull bolt, will not move at all, have been pretty careful so far, tried impact on bolt will not budge. am I doing something wrong or is this typical for a four year old machine. what is the best procedure? any help is appreciatted. thanks Bill
Carr

NMills
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
Several things you can try... soak it pb blaster... it might help loosen it up... other people use different formulas... so don't just take my word... also... take the nut that you did get off and goto a hardware store and get a another.. preferably a hard metal... then put it on just enough to get close to being even with the rod but not quite... hit it with a sledge... careful not to hit the frame.. legs engine case or anything... see if it budges... and if all else fails.... get yourself a sawzall and a lot of patience... and just cut it... it's a HUGE pain to cut it... so use that as a last resort... but i'm sure you'll get more ideas/solutions...

NMills
04-04-2011, 06:02 PM
And why may i ask you need to remove the bottom end for???

CJM
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
3 things to do that may work before you cut it:

1. Soak the heck out of it with the following: teflon chain lube (the good chain lube), PBlaster, WD40, automatic trans fluid, etc. Every possible kinda lube you can imagine put it on there for a few days.

2. Put the nut back on, then tighten down the bolt and nut. Work it back and forth tightening and loosening it with the impact.

3. If you can get it loose, take a large punch and smack the one end with a punch and hammer when someone else is trying to get it off with the impact.

That dont work, either leave it alone or cut it out.

grassman
04-04-2011, 06:21 PM
This is from when I did mine... Its a pain in the *****... http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=456309

irondaddy44
04-04-2011, 06:31 PM
just did one on sat and it sucked bad. get some good sawzaw blades and a torch. wedge something between frame so you can get the saw between the fame and swinger. cut both sids. you can get it out of the frame then. pull the motor all the way forward and take it out of the right side of the frame. take a torch and cut the middle out. will have to punch out the bolt from the motor but the part in the swingarm will come out easy. just replace the bushings. it will take about 30 mins to an hour. good luck

whc
04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Ok so I put brain in gear used search got plenty of info getting nut tommorow, pb blaster in use. and why you ask, how about a pretty nasty sound and horrible feeling when in second gear! ouch. so apart she comes. Mild Bill Carr

NMills
04-04-2011, 06:36 PM
I asked because i wanted to know...

irondaddy44
04-04-2011, 06:40 PM
if it dont move it wont ever move. man i feel for ya. this is the worst thing on the ex's. can't stress enough that you should pull these bolts out every now and then and grease them. seems like a pain but its worth it in the long run.

sheweezy
04-04-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by irondaddy44
if it dont move it wont ever move. man i feel for ya. this is the worst thing on the ex's. can't stress enough that you should pull these bolts out every now and then and grease them. seems like a pain but its worth it in the long run.

X2 I'm one of the fortunate ones that loosened the nut and it slid right out, and my how good did that feel!

CJM
04-04-2011, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by sheweezy
X2 I'm one of the fortunate ones that loosened the nut and it slid right out, and my how good did that feel!

I threw my impact gun on and it moved and came right out afterwards. Now its coated in anti-sieze

powerbomb400
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Since the factory bolts are hollow on the inside. I had a guy at a machine shop weld the end that the nut goes on and put some threads on the oppiste end and put on a zerk fitting. Then drill small hole where the bearings are and fill the bolt full of grease and that will go out the holes and keep the inside well grease.

CJM
04-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by powerbomb400
Since the factory bolts are hollow on the inside. I had a guy at a machine shop weld the end that the nut goes on and put some threads on the oppiste end and put on a zerk fitting. Then drill small hole where the bearings are and fill the bolt full of grease and that will go out the holes and keep the inside well grease.

Grease follows the path of least resistance, so your gonna need alot of grease to make it pump into the holes facing up.

I like anti-seize, works well and its waterproof.

powerbomb400
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
We do most of our riding in the mountains of east Tenn.,eastern Ky and WV. You will go thru a set of bearings every couple of months. I can make set last close to a year and grease is cheap compared to the cost of bearings. It will also make it alot easier to get the bolt out if you need to pull it out. I'd rather spend my money on gas for riding than on parts.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I recently had to cut my swingarm out due to a bent bolt and was frozen solid from age.

I used a grinder with a cut off wheel and cut the bolt on both sides of the motor then had to cut the swinger at the chassis through the bearing caps.

It came right out then...lol.

The stuck bolt in the motor came out with a screwdriver and a hammer.

I put lots of anti seize on the new bolt...lol.

whc
04-06-2011, 05:29 AM
well I got the bolt to turn with the impact gun. put a nut the the end and started out with a 1 pound hammer and on day 2 am using an 8 lb hammer. still not moving! going to get serious tonite! Bill

Davis_400ex
04-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by whc
well I got the bolt to turn with the impact gun. put a nut the the end and started out with a 1 pound hammer and on day 2 am using an 8 lb hammer. still not moving! going to get serious tonite! Bill

I recently started rebuilding mine and had the same problem. I didn't end up going to the hardware store and buying a different nut for it, i didn't think of it at the time, I just used a couple cans of PB blaster and sprayed it every time i looked at my quad. After about 2 days it loosened it up and i was able to knock the beast right out! It's a tough little fight all on it's own so good luck!

whc
04-08-2011, 12:37 PM
day four, where bringing in the air grinder. 5 days of pb and nuts off spray. machine left over nite on its side to help the oil sink in. a 10 lb hammer. wont budge. later Bill

doublejz
04-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by whc
day four, where bringing in the air grinder. 5 days of pb and nuts off spray. machine left over nite on its side to help the oil sink in. a 10 lb hammer. wont budge. later Bill

yea I feel your paint. I did this a few months ago, I tried everything to get the bolt out. I could get it to spin but never would it budge. Landed up getting the sawzall out and cutting the bolt if 4 spots and then remove the swing arm. You just have to be careful to not cut the bushins that are pressed into the engine.

When you put that bolt back in, cover it with anti-seize and you'll be glad you did if you have to remove it again (unless you bend it and still cant remove it).

whc
04-20-2011, 04:51 AM
got the motor out!!! ended up using a saws all. still can not get the right side swing arm bolt out! going to use the hand grinded on this part! fun fun fun. Bill

2001400exrida
04-20-2011, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by NMills
I asked because i wanted to know...

you asked in a very smart allecky way. and it seems now you're just being a jerk.

Glad to hear you got the motor out duder.

I had to cut my swingarm bolt off with a plasma cutter. then it was seized up in the bearings so i had to cut on the swingarm.

whoever said they go through bearings once every couple months is nuts!

I ride sand and trail and my bearings last a year at least.

NMills
04-20-2011, 01:41 PM
So according to 2001400exrida the following comment should not be used here????

Originally posted by NMills
And why may i ask you need to remove the bottom end for???

What about the crap response i got??? no one cares about that.... right???

But because i stated i wanted to know makes me a jerk??

I think you need to get your panties out of a bunch....

IF you can not ask what's goin on... Then why have this forum...

But now i guess i'm a jerk because i was curious???

Whatever...

CJM
04-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Play nice kiddies... :grr:

whc
04-21-2011, 05:24 AM
aah thats just my attempt at humor or is that hue mer? any way just got some very ex pens ive saws all blades. new tranny gears are on there way! need to get seals and also heavy duty head bolts to complete job. oh lets hope the expensive saws all blades do the job! Bill

NMills
04-21-2011, 10:53 AM
I don't think the price of the blades will matter much... i used dewalt... kobolt... and milwakee blades... the sleeves are hardend.... takes time.. lots of blades.... and a lot of swearing... if you can cut one side and use a punch to atleast shift the remaining bolt enought to create a gap between the sleeves and the case it'll make things soo much easier doin the cuttin route...

whc
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
whos got a used swing arm? I got it off BUT I cut off about a third of the boss on the out side of the arm (did not know it was there). I probaly can run it as it is, but am in the market for a swing arm. Man this has been a frustrating job. Well at least it is apart. later Bill

whc
04-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Hey any one know what year arms will work on an 2007 400ex? Bill

2001400exrida
04-24-2011, 07:38 AM
all year swingarms will work. 450r swingarm will also work.

i had to hack my swingarm to get mine off too so i did an entire 450r rear end upgrade.

thebig450es
04-24-2011, 08:07 AM
I had the same problem getting my swingarm bolt out, soaked it for a week in pb blaster and a 8lb hammer ....wouldnt move. I got an air hammer and it came out in 2 mins.

whc
04-25-2011, 05:20 AM
yeah I put a lot of pb and nuts off on it spent two weeks trying to get it apart, finally used the saws all method, found a nice stock arm so I am set, once the trannys fixed, hopfully no more surprises.I did not know that a 450 arm would fit, what it take to install and what are the advantages? Bill

CJM
04-25-2011, 08:21 AM
Everything will bolt up to the 450r swinger, advantage is 06+ iirc is 1.25 inches longer than a 400ex which makes the back ride better.