View Full Version : Rear brake hub loose on axle

2001400exrida
04-04-2011, 04:59 PM
Hey all i just went to change the pads on my '07 and i noticed the rear rotor is loose. It's not much but if you grab it from the back it will slide up and down. not side to side but it moves a little up and down.

do you think my axle is too loose? or is it the splines on the hub or the axle?

also, this quad is still under warranty, do you think this would be covered?

CJM
04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Id try tightening the axle first.

2001400exrida
04-04-2011, 06:44 PM
ok, i have the wrenches for that. what's the best way to do this? i know the one nut has to be all the way on the stopper ring, what do i do with the thinner lock nut then? just tighten it as much as i can against the bigger nut that is held by the stopper ring?

Scro
04-04-2011, 06:47 PM
The thin nut tightens against the larger nut, to lock it in place.

2001400exrida
04-04-2011, 06:55 PM
so i put the big nut against the stopper ring, and then just tigthen as much as i can with the thin nut. that bad boy is tight....i think it's my splines.

buck440
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
sounds like the splines are bad which if gets worse will ruin your axle splines.

2001400exrida
04-05-2011, 05:28 AM
yeah i snugged up the axle as tight as i can get it and it still has a little play.

generally the axle splines won't go bad, but the brake hub splines will. the honda shop around here is just like any other dealership. I call them and explain the issue and the guy claims he has never heard of this happening without damage.

I'm like dude it's my trail quad, i ride it once a month. So i'm going to take it in and see if they can do anything under the extended warranty.

CJM
04-05-2011, 07:53 AM
They dont want to do any warranty work, mostly b/c they dont make any money off of you then.

buck440
04-05-2011, 09:58 AM
i had the same problem. my rotor splines were getting sloppy and i hit the brake wnen riding and it spun on the axle. if it's steel on steel it will ruin the axle splines. i was to dumb to not stop riding and didn't want to wait to get it fixed and it cost me.

2001400exrida
04-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by CJM
They dont want to do any warranty work, mostly b/c they dont make any money off of you then.

Yeah, i'm very meticulous about this 400ex though. I have logged every bit of work i have done to it and they did my first service after i bought it.

I bought the extended warranty (granted, i got a deal on it), and i expect them to be loyal to their word.

I can give dealerships just as much as they think they can give me. It's always funny when they give me a line of BS and i come back with facts.

This is not a wear part and a honda rep over the phone told me to take it to the shop and see what they say.

The guy at the dealership said "keep in mind it's our busy season and we won't be able to get to it for a couple weeks"

I commented back "Well keep in mind i bought this atv from your dealership and you guys sold me an extended warranty" haha. sometimes you gotta wonder if these people have any incentive at all to cover warrantied machines.

CJM
04-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Like I said, warranty work brings zero cash in, if anything it hurts them cause they have to eat the labor for the tech.

I got that line too once "well were busy, come back in a week". I told them either they fix it in the next few days or I call the complaint line at X corporate. Wouldnt you know it was fixed in 2 days???

2001400exrida
04-05-2011, 05:47 PM
yeah honda pays them for the labor though. they do make money on that.

the problem is these guys don't like to have to call honda and explain an issue that is not common, because ultimately honda has to approve it.

at least that's how i understand it.

2001400exrida
04-05-2011, 07:52 PM
well i just ordered a rear brake hub from rocky mountain.

i don't wanna mess with the dealership, it's sad but i'd rather order the part and do it myself than have to mess with the dealership.

hopefully it's the hub and not my axle. although i do have another axle sitting around that i replaced with a 450r axle.

do these things wear out this fast or what do you guys think cause my rotor to become loose?

CJM
04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Possible b/c the rotor was loose.

Funny you mention it too, I never had any issues with the lock nuts. I change out the axle to a shorter one, ride a few time and noticed the other day the lock nut was loose and almost totally backed off!

SPE_Motorsports
04-06-2011, 09:04 AM
When reassembling, use grease on the all of your splines, wheel hubs, brake rotor hub, and the 3 piece axle lock nut. This will keep some of the slop out of the splines and keep all of the splines from wearing.