PDA

View Full Version : 450R shocks vs. Works

Grande Huevos
04-04-2011, 04:44 PM
how good r the 450r shocks? i have works now but need to get them rebuilt and was wondering if there is a better rout for aroundthe same price? i kno u can get some 450s for bout half the price of getting the works rebuilt and fig they wont b as good as the works but thougt id see what u all thought

DnB_racing
04-04-2011, 05:20 PM
the 450 shocks are all right but not great if you set them up for one style of riding,
but if set hard enough for jumps and hard riding then they are terrible in the rocks and roots, and if set soft enough to handle the roots and ruts then they bottom out on hard landings,
and break the wrist( happened to me last year) I heard the shock bottom out and then I felt the snap, that fast out for 2 months!!

danhung11
04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
I think the 450R revalve is very economical to get a nice pair of shocks. Keep in mind, you cannot get a XC and MX setup out of one pair of shocks, without either bottoming out or rough in the trails. I had a set revalved by GT Thunder for my 450R, they were awesome shocks. Never bottomed out on an MX track...and it was a plush landing like aftermarket shocks. I also had a set done by DeRisi, but didn't have enough time on them to give adequate feedback.

My $0.02.

hartwill
04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
I actually spoke with either baldwin or gtthunder about this before I cant remember wich one. I had the same problem, I had works that needed reworked and thought about going to the 450r shocks, and who ever it was that I talked to said that they can make the 450r shocks work really well, but he said he can actually do more with the works shocks to get them to perform better.

jcs003
04-05-2011, 02:06 AM
i havent had 450 shocke, but i had works and they perform very well. the problem is they seem to wear out faster than others i have used. i use HLS now and these are the best shocks i have had yet.

snacob14
04-05-2011, 10:51 AM
I've ran a few sets of revalves, done by gtthunder, derisi, and dirtworks. I am currently running works piggy back pro's. I love the piggy backs, but you get what you pay for with works. I've probably witnessed 8-10 works shocks come apart on the trail. That would be there standard shock, not the pro. The revalves are awesome for what you put in them. The best I've ridden were the dirtworks shocks. They are very affordable too. Iwould check them out and see what they could do for you. They outperformed my elkas and were on par with my axis and works pro's. Plus you get rebound, compression and preload adjustments with the 450rs

Grande Huevos
04-05-2011, 04:18 PM
im not sure what works i have? i kno they have 2 springs and rezzies i spoke w the desrie company they said $300 and they will totally rebuild the front 2 w some sort upgraded kit? this was by far the cheapest i have found and sounded ligett so thinkin about going that rout.

danhung11
04-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Grande Huevos
im not sure what works i have? i kno they have 2 springs and rezzies i spoke w the desrie company they said $300 and they will totally rebuild the front 2 w some sort upgraded kit? this was by far the cheapest i have found and sounded ligett so thinkin about going that rout.

pdxbigfoot has a nice pair of triple rate DeRisi revalves for sale, they are literally new - valved for XC, I'm not sure what you weigh but they are fully adjustable as stated above. They will probably have the same internals Santo will put in those Works fronts you have(?). I'm not sure what adjustment your Works shocks have on them. You might be better off selling those, and buying those from him. Only my opinion here, by the time you pay $300 for the service, shipping both ways...you are looking at a little more for a complete set of fresh shocks.

Again...this is only my own opinion after riding both GT Thunder MX revalves, and DeRisis XC revalves.

Good luck in whatever you decide...ultimately it's your money.

wild250rman
04-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by danhung11
pdxbigfoot has a nice pair of triple rate DeRisi revalves for sale, they are literally new - valved for XC, I'm not sure what you weigh but they are fully adjustable as stated above. They will probably have the same internals Santo will put in those Works fronts you have(?). I'm not sure what adjustment your Works shocks have on them. You might be better off selling those, and buying those from him. Only my opinion here, by the time you pay $300 for the service, shipping both ways...you are looking at a little more for a complete set of fresh shocks.

Again...this is only my own opinion after riding both GT Thunder MX revalves, and DeRisis XC revalves.

i just got that set in the mail yesterday. i purchased them from pdxbigfoot last week and they are real nice.

danhung11
04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by wild250rman
i just got that set in the mail yesterday. i purchased them from pdxbigfoot last week and they are real nice.

Yes, they are. They were new OEM takeoffs that Santo had, I then had him do his "magic" to them... probably have 1.5 hours max on them. I think Jason only used them for mockup during his a-arm fabrication. Crazy how stuff goes from MidWest, Northwest, now East cost...been through more States than I have. :D

wild250rman
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM
hopefully one day i will get to try them out they do look sweet i like the zero preload set up. waiting to get all the parts i want purchased and then do the paint and powder. they look good laying beside that nice tank. lol

dustin_j
04-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by danhung11

This is a helpful post, but remember if the fresh set of shocks you buy aren't setup properly for you and your machine; you'll still be sacrificing performance. This is part of the reason stock rebuilds work so good.