PDA

View Full Version : +7 swingarm 400ex

JOHNDOE83
04-04-2011, 02:21 PM
Whatever I drag race.....lol.

But in all seriousness, I think that the 400ex was to short from the begining, I looked at other quads and noticed some being slightly longer stock, long travel quads working really well....anyway.

"I" think anyone getting a adjustable length axel also needs atleast a +3 swingarm maybe even a +6 if your getting wider a-arms, Just my opinion though.

That being said, I found this video of a off road/dune type 440ex with a +6 swingarm, it looks very trail ride able, its good for racing 450s, and makes it look cooler. The swinger might be a lil shy of +6in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lr1xcj0XA8

Now heres my +7 swingarm, mainly for drag racing, but still trail rideable IMO, and new light front shocks instead of struts.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/swinger004.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/swinger005.jpg

The rear shock is to light on spring, bottoms out from just sitting on it, I ordered a sportbike rear shock to be stiffer, that along with my adjustable shock link will make a nice ride height.

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae15/johndoe83_2010/swinger006.jpg

CJM
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
If anything, I agree its way to short. I think if it was 2 inches longer it would be about perfect. +4 or more is way to long imho for some tight trails, you wouldnt be able to kick that rear out easily where I go.

Coincidentally the shortness of the swinger makes for why we can wheelie rather easy.

trailrider894
04-04-2011, 09:50 PM
No way does that guy have a +6 swinger.... lol

tayyo789
04-04-2011, 11:02 PM
The one in the video looks like it MIGHT have a +2 on it. Anything over 4 inches longer, starts to make it way too hard to turn to have fun on any technical type trail. I have a +5 on my hybrid, and its waaay too short for my motor, but it already can't handle for crap compared to my stock length 400, even though the hybrid has +2 a arms. I think stock is a little too short, but it shouldn't be much longer.

400exshop
04-05-2011, 10:34 AM
where did you get it and how much did you give for it ?

400exrider707
04-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Drag racing is about the only place it's needed. Again if you go too long, you lose traction. There is such thing as too long here...

For an MX quad, you would trace an invisible line from the center point of your spindle to the mounting point of your tie rod ends on the spindle back towards the rear of the quad. Both sides of the quad will create invisible lines that should intersect ideally where the center of the axle is in the swingarm. So when extended arms are put on, this would actually require a longer swingarm to balance the handling. Make sense? A wider axle is just icing on the cake to improve handling. Now this doesn't always work in real world. Obviously some flat trackers and TT guys run extended arms, but often run stock length swingers or even short than stock, to improve traction at the rear. More weight over the rear tires=more traction.

Every riding condition, suspension setup, rider weight, terrain being ridden, tire choices and such all play a role in this, but there is such a thing as too long with a swingarm. You will lose traction with it too far back.

JOHNDOE83
04-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 400exshop
where did you get it and how much did you give for it ?

www.ace-fabrication.com

built when ordered, whatever length you want, any powder coat color, with "or" without skid plate mounts, with needle bearings, accepts ALL stock 400ex hardware, shipped to your door in less then 2 weeks for...$425.

This swingarm is really built well, really high quality.

A lil on the heavy side is the only issue, but it is +7in.

tayyo789
04-05-2011, 07:31 PM
Their swingarms are very heavy, but are extremely strong. The oval shaped tubing gives it more strength than a conventional tube.

CJM
04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
I like this swing arm, they arent overpriced (Ive seen other companies sell swingarms for over 800 bucks..gimme a break!) and it seems well built.

Looking on ebay I did notice 1 thing, your swingarm has 4 lock bolts for the carrier-but the ones they show online on ebay and thier site for the EX only shows 2. I wonder if they updated it to 2 or 4?

tayyo789
04-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Both of mine have 2 bolts. I've had them for over a year though.

CJM
04-05-2011, 08:27 PM
Did you find it kept the carrier locked in place good? Call me wary, but I like the 4 bolt design better.

Think Ill email them about it.

tayyo789
04-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I have actually had my carrier spin multiple times. Each time was after a thorough lube job, and it could be a torque issue on my part. There's nothing to lose going to 4 bolts though.

CJM
04-05-2011, 08:42 PM
It worries me b/c a friend of mine has a similar style carrier for his banshee and I know we made sure it was tight before we went out that day. It [EDIT] tightened up 2x, 2nd time he really cranked home on it and it didnt move thankfully.

I emailed them, ill post if i get a response.

tayyo789
04-05-2011, 08:45 PM
I'm in the market for another, so I'm interested if they switched to 4 bolts as well. Each time mine has rolled, its thrown my chain. Luckily, nothing terrible has resulted yet. I'd rather not try my luck.

CJM
04-05-2011, 09:27 PM
Sorry had to edit, it didnt loosen on his, it tightend the chain up like crazy.

CJM
04-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Wow they are quick!

Hello XXXX, We have updated our design and use 4 pinch bolts on all of our swing arms. We have also increased the thickness of our shock tabs. We want our swing arms to be one of the most durable on the market. Thank You Chris at Ace Fabrication

JOHNDOE83
04-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Chris is the man!!

He handles the ordering stuff and he was very good at asking questions about what I specifically needed.

If I could get a camara to show more detail, you would really like the craftmanship.

Its best to call and place a order and talk to him directly

CJM
04-06-2011, 02:37 PM
About my only dislike is the area the shock bolts up looks weak-but not being able to see it in person IDK for sure.

Also consider the stocker is cast junk and hollow vs a nice chro-moly steel one(they are made of chromoly no?)

JOHNDOE83
04-06-2011, 02:38 PM
yup 4130 chromoly.

Those tabs I thought were weak then I tried to torque down the bolt to pinch the shock a lil....they are very strong....lol.

CJM
04-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
yup 4130 chromoly.

Those tabs I thought were weak then I tried to torque down the bolt to pinch the shock a lil....they are very strong....lol.

Chromoly is very hard to bend of break, sounds good. now, who wants to lean me some cash so I can go buy it, ill pay ya back-only 40 easy payments of 10 bucks..

JOHNDOE83
04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Ill do it if I can put a lien on your atv and charge a 99% intrest fee.

CJM
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
Ill do it if I can put a lien on your atv and charge a 99% intrest fee.

I might as well borrow from a loanshark or the mob then man!