PDA

View Full Version : Installing More Ram

Moto92
02-17-2003, 08:41 PM
I just had my net changed from dialup to cable and the guy said Id probably want to upgrade my ram, said they suggest 128.
I just kind of knodded my head and was like ok...I really dont have a clue what to do. Is this something I can do on my own or is it pretty complicated. And where would I go to find some ram other than the local dodge dealer :p

zephead400ex
02-17-2003, 08:50 PM
its easy as **** to install...

to order cheap (but good) RAM go to...
www.crucial.com

All you have to do is take the case apart and fine probably 3 slots that have a little card of RAM (might be 1-3 cards) just add the additional RAM or take out on stick of the old RAM and plug the new stick in, put everything back together, and restart. Done.

nakomis0
02-17-2003, 09:01 PM
You don't even have 128 ram? heh, was your computer made in the 1980's? :huh lol, Jk..

Ya ram is easy to install. Crucial.com has good prices and good quality.

zephead400ex
02-17-2003, 09:05 PM
What are you going to be doing with the pc? Playing games online? Just surfing and email? If you plan on playing games online, I would suggest 256 instead of 128. IMO

Moto92
02-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Its only about 3-4 years old and I dont have a clue how to figure out what I already have in it.
And I just surf, dont do the pc gaming thing...thats what the ps2 is for

nakomis0
02-17-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
Its only about 3-4 years old and I dont have a clue how to figure out what I already have in it.
And I just surf, dont do the pc gaming thing...thats what the ps2 is for

right click 'start' , left click" explore", right click "my computer", left click properties, then click in the 'general' tab. It well say your ram.

256 is like the bare min. nowadays. I got 640 ..woo whoo:rolleyes: :)

NDrider
02-17-2003, 10:44 PM
Or you can get ram here Mem Man (http://www.memman.com/)

You probably need the pc 100 ram. Check your users guide on your Mother Board to see what it supports. Doesn't pay to buy pc 133 if it only supports pc 100.

Castor-426ex
02-17-2003, 11:22 PM
im running 1 gigabyte of ddr 400....:devil

Leo
02-18-2003, 04:45 AM
1 gig PC 133 here...

You can upgrade to 256 for very little money.. It will make a noticeable difference, especially if your upgrading from 64..

Leo

Castor-426ex
02-20-2003, 10:11 AM
just be careful on the inside of the computer always keep yourself grounded...
and make sure you dont have a gateway:D

MOUSE
02-20-2003, 11:06 AM
i dont want to rob his post but i just bought a digi video camera and the guy i bought it from said that my dell should have a "firewire" port on it and sold me a cord that connects the camera to the computer. now just to transfer pics it uses a usb port but i cant find the firewire port anywhere. i have 2 usb ports on the back and 2 in the front. am i just overlooking the firewire port or do i not have one? and if not where can i get one and how hard are they to put in. im still trying to learn computers ive looked inside mine once and all i could do was :huh

NDrider
02-20-2003, 11:08 AM
What is the model number of your Dell?

Doibugu2
02-20-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by MOUSE
i dont want to rob his post but i just bought a digi video camera and the guy i bought it from said that my dell should have a "firewire" port on it and sold me a cord that connects the camera to the computer. now just to transfer pics it uses a usb port but i cant find the firewire port anywhere. i have 2 usb ports on the back and 2 in the front. am i just overlooking the firewire port or do i not have one? and if not where can i get one and how hard are they to put in. im still trying to learn computers ive looked inside mine once and all i could do was :huh

Firewire is not very common on a factory computer. You'll probably have to go buy a card. I think they are not too expensive. But if you have windows XP or 2000, if you get a name brand card, you should be able to install it and windows will do the rest. Just make sure you get the right type of card.

MOUSE
02-20-2003, 11:13 AM
UMMM :huh im not at home right now so im not sure, does 4500 mean anything to you ? i think thats the number on the front of it. its fairly new maybe 7 or 8 months old. it also runs windows xp .

JLanphear
02-20-2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by MOUSE

If the cable that came with your camera doesn't fit anywhere, it doesn't have firewire. You can pick up a Firewire card for like $40 (maybe less cause I haven't looked for a while). It will just pop in one of your PCI slots and you'll be set (probably have to install the drivers).

As for the other guy with the RAM problem. You much have a friend or something that knows a little about computers...it's best to have them come over and take a look at it.

Otherwise go to www.crucial.com like another user said and you can do a search for RAM that fits your system...That way you don't have to know anything about the PC100 or PC133 or any other stuff like that.

Installing it is easy...order the RAM and when you get it, take a look at it. Open up your computer and look for something that looks similar..there should be an open spot next to it...just throw it in. Make sure it's in tight. When you power on your computer you will see it do a memory count at start up. If you had 64mb before it should that plus whatever you just put in (buy a 128mb at least).

Anyway, that should be the easiest way for you...otherwise the manuals that came with your computer should explain how to do it since that is the most common upgrade.

-Josh

Cruzin720
02-20-2003, 04:43 PM
question about the ram...if u already have 256, and u get another 256 does it just double ur amount?

NDrider
02-20-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Cruzin720
question about the ram...if u already have 256, and u get another 256 does it just double ur amount?

:huh :huh Yes, 2+2 = 4:devil

zephead400ex
02-20-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by NDrider
:huh :huh Yes, 2+2 = 4:devil

roflmao!