PDA

View Full Version : melted head gasket in 30 min

zukiboy
04-02-2011, 07:53 AM
i just put a piston in my trx 250r its bored 120 over with a cool dome head. after puttzing around for 30 min breaking it in easy..... i parked it and noticed that there was coolant seeping out around the head. so i pulled the head thinking it was warped maybe because i didnt check it when i put everything back together..... but when i got the top of the jug exposed i found that the brand new head gasket that came with the piston is almost completly melted away........... what is wrong with my quad!!!!! (i just got the quad so i dont know anything about it besides there is something WRONG)...........HELP!

hartwill
04-02-2011, 10:40 AM
im assuming this is an o-ring gasket, if its a metal gasket you have serious problems lol. You are probly running lean.. Try using richer jets then go from there..

jcs003
04-05-2011, 02:10 AM
never heard of a gasket melting...

Honda 250r 001
04-05-2011, 07:17 AM
I had a head gasket kinda melt just recently, my quad was running hot, as normal, like 225-230 and the head gasket blew and when i took it apart the gasket was melted and was falling apart. What brand gasket did you use? I suggest you use a different brand next time.

C-LEIGH RACING
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
How can you melt a paper like fiberous material ??.

If it should happen to be one of these new type coated gaskets, I can see part of that type of gasket melting.
Neil

zukiboy
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
It was made by cometic I think and i'll get a pic for ya neil..... metal gaskett with something on each side

C-LEIGH RACING
04-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by zukiboy
It was made by cometic I think and i'll get a pic for ya neil..... metal gaskett with something on each side

Ok, no need for a pic cause it is those new type.

I can see what your saying now.

Go ahead & get yourself a tube of Three Bond 1211 sealant & use it on the new head gasket.
Cometic has several different types of gaskets, dont get the teflon coated one like before & make sure the water pump is in good shape & that the radiator not stopped up.
It can be stopped up on the outside as well from stuff in between the fins.
Neil