PDA

View Full Version : Couple of problems with my Z400

Maddog5150
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
I have an 06 Z400 I bought used. I took it out riding and it was awesome but it has a couple little hic ups.
The first one is minor, My parking break doesnt work. I've tried to adjust it according to the service manual but its still a no go. Either the wheels drag while its engaged or it doesnt work at all. I've noticed that when I engage the parking break and pull the the clutch all the way, the parking break works great. Then I let go of the clutch a millimeter or two into the stop and the parking break disengages.
Any idea what it could be? I've done everying the service manual says to.

My next problem is pissing me off but I dont have much experience with quads so I dont know if this is normal. When its idling and I let it warm up to run it, If i push the throttle really fast, it will just cut out before reving. If I hit it a little slower and not spike the throttle, it will be fine. Any idea what could cause that?

exrider12
04-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Problem 1: DITCH the parking brake. It never works properly no matter how much you adjust it. Grab a block off plate for $15-$20.

Problem 2: Try cleaning your carb. Also does the bike have any mods? Like and exhaust or an intake?

Maddog5150
04-01-2011, 02:35 PM
No mods for performance. No intake nor exaust

Im a noob. I tried googling but what does a block off plate do?

Nitwhit0921
04-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Block of plate let's you junk the parking brake assembly. 2 bolts pull the assy. Off and throw the block off plate on.

twincat800
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
Well you dont have to get a parking brake block off plate, it just makes the quad look a little cleaner to have the parking brake assembly taken off. You wont ever get it to work so dont bother, if you do get it working with new brake pads it wont last long, not worth it.

exrider12
04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Ok so for your carb problem.. Id say bump up the pilot jet a size. Im not exactly sure what size an ltz has stock so im sure some one else will chime in.

Maddog5150
04-22-2011, 07:25 PM
I havent worked on the carb yet. Mostly because I'm stationed in San Diego and the quad is stored about an hour and a half away but I needed a break job anyways and afterwords adjusted the parking break. It kinda works as in all it has is some drag while engaged but other than that, I'm going to say screw it and buy the block off plate. If I really need a parking break I can tie some 550 cord around the front break lever :D