PDA

View Full Version : Stock 450r Shock Disassemble

jpfmotors
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Has anyone ever taken apart a 450 shock I want to experiment and do some work myself just wondering how the body of the shock comes apart. I would guess that it unscrews from the top but just asking.

blacknblue#2
04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Its fairly simple. Release the nitrogen Compress the spring, take the clip off and pull the spring off. There is a nut on the bottom of the shock body that will let the shaft and seal assembly pull out. Then compress the bladder on the resivor, pull the snap ring off of it and pull the bladder out. thats pretty much everything. be prepared tho you will get oil everywhere. This is kinda a rough description but if you google it i found a pretty good write up on doing dirtbike rear shocks which is basically the same.

dustin_j
04-08-2011, 04:19 PM
The description above covers most of it, except the seal head is held in with a snap ring. Aftermarket shocks are threaded.

fearlessfred
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
and the snapring is under the dust cover that just taps off with a punch and hammer (there is two holes 180 out from each other that you tap on. on the bottom of body ) you may have to push down on the seal head a little to get the snapring out. what kinda changes are you wanting to make,

jpfmotors
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Have a blown shock and just like learning and doing things my self so i figured what the h@$# Ill take it apart order what i need maybe make shim changes and cut the body a little for more travel and learn whats in the shock and how it works

fearlessfred
04-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by jpfmotors
Have a blown shock and just like learning and doing things my self so i figured what the h@$# Ill take it apart order what i need maybe make shim changes and cut the body a little for more travel and learn whats in the shock and how it works thats cool.I did the same thing over 20 years ago and then i had the good fortune of having two professionals teach me and im pretty sure i dont know the halve of it. ask questions,maybe we can all learn

2000ex
04-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Jeremy,

Come on over I have everything you need and can show you how to disassemble. I will be home all day tomorrow cutting wood

fearlessfred
04-09-2011, 05:28 PM
hey,2000ex,are you the same guy i sold the axis rear cannondale shock to and if it is,how is it working for you

DnB_racing
04-09-2011, 05:40 PM
JPF and 2000ex are you guys riding anyplace tomorrow?? if so were? im in fitchburg and I was thinking about Templeton, but if you are going someplace let me know and maybe Ill try to meet you someplace!