PDA

View Full Version : Grooved case behind oil pump, can i use this case?

Jim417mx
04-01-2011, 06:36 AM
Sooo I just rebuilt my whole motor, hotrods crank, top end, head, etc. because my oil pump went out. The motor is 99% done, I was waiting on a new oil pump. I get the new one, go to install it, and I didnt even notice the case got grooved up. Can I do anything to fix this, or run it like this? I REALLY do not want to have to put a new case on it.... none of the grooves are "raised" so that it would scratch the new pump, but obviously the oil pump is the main part of a motor and I dont want to chance anything.

Case:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/Jim417mx/PICT0004-1.jpg

Backside of old pump:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c391/Jim417mx/PICT0010.jpg

nkillian9
04-01-2011, 09:03 AM
man i cant really tell how deep it is, and i dont know if u could machine it back down, dont really know wut kinda tolerence is there, if your back together that far with it id put it in and run it and get the oil pressure reading to see where u are at, but thats only cause im always broke and would have to hear it that much more from the ole lady.

Jim417mx
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM
I hear ya on that one man, I spend every penny I earn on quad racing, if I did put it in, I would probly lose my new hotrods crank, fresh piston, atp head, valves, cam, etc with no oil... and it wouldnt be worth it to "chance it" . Any other opinions?

blholtz
04-02-2011, 07:33 AM
Any Idea what caused that? Did the filter screen have a tear hole in it?

If I were you I think I would e-bay for a set of cases.

Jim417mx
04-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I inspected the screens, there were about 10 other shavings from my clutch basket, clogged in the screen, .... MAYBE the pump just locked up by itself, from lack of oil, but judging by how the case looks, it looks like a peice got wedged in the pump... not 100% sure what happened, but there are no tears in the screens.

kyleschonert
04-16-2011, 04:04 PM
I have a set of cases from an 06 I could sell you. They leak slightly when warmed up. I'm sure some extra Permatex on them will keep them from leaking.

I can send pics if you need them!

Kyle.