PDA

View Full Version : Give me Metal Shop project ideas

Hondamaster5505
03-31-2011, 05:42 PM
I need to come up with my own project to build in metal shop. I wanna make something for my car or quad. Any ideas?

JOHNDOE83
03-31-2011, 05:54 PM
What are the rules for the project? Is there a guideline or are you able to do whatever?

Id say make a custom banshee drag chassis or extended swingarm.

For the car, try to fab a new hood or fender.

If I had the equipment to do so, Id make a atv buggy conversion chassis that accepted all atv hardware. Like a banshee buggy, 400ex buggy, grizzly buggy....That would be SWEET.

CJM
03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I say swingarm for the quad or maybe a-arms.

brian76708
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
im guessing this is high school metals in that case you could try a sub frame for the quad/ or grab bar. i made a cnc fox belt buckle for my last project back in high school so idk if you want to do something like that.

JOHNDOE83
03-31-2011, 06:03 PM
If you can make cool enough stuff.....Ill buy it from you...lol.

eastside 400
03-31-2011, 06:21 PM
make me an engine teardown table with a center drain

250x_kyle
03-31-2011, 09:29 PM
seeing that its a highschool thing hes not going to have the time to build a frame or possibly even a swingarm. if you have to pay for materials hed would have to build a jig for those to turn out wich cost alot of money to be done well.

aluminum airbox, aluminum center console for a car? build a handfull of bike stands.

CJM
03-31-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
seeing that its a highschool thing hes not going to have the time to build a frame or possibly even a swingarm. if you have to pay for materials hed would have to build a jig for those to turn out wich cost alot of money to be done well.

aluminum airbox, aluminum center console for a car? build a handfull of bike stands.

Totally depends on what he has access too and what hes allowed to build and materials.

We didnt have a metal shop but had a wood and auto shop. I had enough time to literally make 10 projects in woodshop if I wanted to cause I work fast, teacher didnt care if we used the wood-thats what it was there for.

Kickstarts-suck
03-31-2011, 09:54 PM
How about a drive shaft loop.. You can build me one too. ;)

Pipeless416
03-31-2011, 11:47 PM
4 rollers to put under an atv so it can be rolled around the garage easily. basically 4 little stands to hold each tire with casters on the bottom of them.

Ruby Soho
04-01-2011, 03:34 PM
a arms for sure

Hondamaster5505
04-01-2011, 05:14 PM
The shops kind of limited.

We have horizontal and vertical milling machines, a couple sheet metal machines, welders, oxyacetylene torch, belt sander, lathes, arbor press, band saw, regular saw, and a think for ramming up aluminum molds.

A-arms might be a little tricky with the limited machinery.

honda400ex2003
04-01-2011, 09:39 PM
grab a dennis kirk cat and start flipping through it.

thats the best thing i did to make stuff in class.

I made strap holders, spark plug holders, part containers, tool box, a 6 pack rack for the 400, 2 hitch cargo carriers, and a few other smaller things.

the carriers are 6 ft long x 2 ft wide i think and 5 ft wide x 2 ft wide.

depending on the situation both come in very handy for sure.

I made everything in a basic shop with all of the stuff listed there. a band saw and a welder will get you most of the stuff. i used a vertical mill to do the strap holders since they had slots cut in them.

steve