PDA

View Full Version : Is this what i need to fix my cylinder stud?

jchevy
02-17-2003, 07:36 PM
http://www.recoil.com.au/p_range_smlkit.asp

Its a recoil thread insert. The insert kinda looks like a spring. Is this what i need to fix the threads in my jug for the cylinderhead studs? Is there something else that is better that i should use?

Castor-426ex
02-17-2003, 07:40 PM
ok those helicoil thread inserts are ok for light applications...but im not sure if i would trust them for the amount of tourque and a everyday pressures they will go to...might just be better to have a shop re drill and rethread

TRX300X
02-17-2003, 08:06 PM
Heli-Coil is a pretty perminant fix. What it does is drill out the old threads, tap in new threads with a tap and then you put in a steel incert as new threads. I've used this many a time and it works perfect for me as long as you get the right heli coil kit.

Castor-426ex
02-17-2003, 08:08 PM
they dont do good if you have to torque the bolt or stud down because the insert will either break or flex..thus recreating your problem...give it a shot but i would def keep an eye on it at all times

jchevy
02-17-2003, 08:28 PM
What else can i do?

speedjunkie
02-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Don't F it up the first time!!!:devil

speedjunkie
02-17-2003, 09:25 PM
Just kidding, take it to a machine shop and ask them what the best solution is. They do this stuff all the time. If you decide to do it yourself, dont use the spring type, use the type that has solid inserts

Castor-426ex
02-17-2003, 09:42 PM
best bet machine shop..that way you know its right

good luck

twisted threads
02-18-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by speedjunkie
Don't F it up the first time!!!:devil

Thats IT! :) I had a problem on my R like that. On of the cylinder studs striped out when I tried to remove it. so I got a good set of Heli-coils and did it nice and slow so it was done right the first time and now it holds great.

Leo
02-18-2003, 04:58 AM
Doesn't sparks or someone make an oversize stud kit?

Helicoils are OK, I've used them to fix minor crap on lawnmowers, etc.. (good for stripped out sparkplug holes)..

_but_ you wouldn't find any on my baby :D

Leo

UglyMotha™
02-18-2003, 06:20 AM
heli-coils are good for torque applications actually they'll probably hold better than the original stud by itself if done right and i actually have two on my 4x4 300trx and that thing gets the living snot beat out of it and there still holding strong after 4 years but heli-coils arn't just for light applications

type3tom
02-18-2003, 03:49 PM
You can get ahold of TC Racing and order their oversize headstud kit.

Dune Surfer
02-18-2003, 06:21 PM
I got a set of oversized studs from Rocky Ridge racing for $65 .My cylinder is at a machine shop right now getting them put in. they are the best way to go. I have heard the heli coils pulling out then your screwed.

jchevy
02-18-2003, 06:26 PM
Are the oversized studs just longer, or are they a bigger diameter. I read that the sparks oversize studs are the same diameter but just 2mm longer.

type3tom
02-18-2003, 06:35 PM
They are larger in diameter,I had helicoils in mine and if I remember rite they still had to drill and tap for the TC studs.

Fleshwound
02-19-2003, 11:08 AM
i know a guy who blew a head gasket every race because of those stupid heli coils... they would just pull out and the cylinder would be on a slight angle...this can really screw stuff up...
dont recomend them at all...

roostu
02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by speedjunkie
Just kidding, take it to a machine shop and ask them what the best solution is. They do this stuff all the time. If you decide to do it yourself, dont use the spring type, use the type that has solid inserts

Like i told you in person, if you HAVE to do it yourself...........use the solid inserts.

~Roost-U