PDA

View Full Version : Clutch

250RDude33
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM
i have a 88 250r and i pulled the cover off of the engine the other day to replace the gasket and i realize that the clutch basket seems to be loose you can move it back and forth just the outer part, the inner hub is tight is this how its supposed to be?

jcs003
03-31-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by 250RDude33
i have a 88 250r and i pulled the cover off of the engine the other day to replace the gasket and i realize that the clutch basket seems to be loose you can move it back and forth just the outer part, the inner hub is tight is this how its supposed to be?

i just had the same issue.

Honda 250r 001
03-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I believe this is a design flaw. Almost every 250r clutch basket i have had has had this problem. I just keep running mine like it is and it has been doing fine.

cdrookie
03-31-2011, 01:42 PM
i'm not sure it is a design flaw. there's rubber isolators between the basket and gear to help absorb the shock that occurs when you dump the clutch. if the gear and basket wear just bolted together you'd probably be shearing bolts or breaking the basket. the isolators can get worn and allow an excessive amount of play but how much is too much?

at least that's my thoughts, i'm not a japanese engineer from the 80's though:chinese:

250RDude33
03-31-2011, 01:55 PM
well thats good to hear i work at a dirtbike/atv parts shop and i asked a guy that usually knows what he is talking about and he said its supposed to be tight but he is a ktm guy. so im glad to hear that! THANKS GUYS!!!

Honda 250r 001
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by cdrookie
i'm not sure it is a design flaw. there's rubber isolators between the basket and gear to help absorb the shock that occurs when you dump the clutch. if the gear and basket wear just bolted together you'd probably be shearing bolts or breaking the basket. the isolators can get worn and allow an excessive amount of play but how much is too much?

at least that's my thoughts, i'm not a japanese engineer from the 80's though:chinese:

Slack here would be bad, but i thnk were taking about two different spots.

The common 250r clutch basket slack im talking about comes from the splines where the smaller gear on the back slides into the back of the basket. On most bikes, such as a KTM and many other bikes, these two pieces are together, one piece. So there is no slack there.

Ive thought many times about a fix for this, but i havn't come up with one yet, other than manufacturers of baskets would have to tighten their clearances up between the splines and make it a press fit. Unfortunately no companies have caught on to this yet and even aftermarket baskets have slack here.

This is why i believe this is a design flaw in the basket and gear design.