PDA

View Full Version : works triple rates

finsteratv
03-31-2011, 09:56 AM
i have a local guy on craigslist with a set of works triple rates for a 400ex. he said he's not 100% sure what theyre valved for, but the guy he got them from said 160-180. my question is i weigh like 120-125 without gear. would these be to stiff for me without having them reworked? im wodering because he wants 150 OBO and they look to be in good shape. he tried them on his ltz400 and they weren't up to a 160lbs rider. whats your thoughts? thinking they may be better then 450r's for a better price too.

NacsMXer
03-31-2011, 10:02 AM
I think they won't be setup properly for you. You don't know exactly how many hours are on them since the last rebuild either.

I think it's a good thing because I used to have Works triple rate AT Steeler front shocks with remote reservoirs. They are nothing too special in stock form. They can be rather harsh when landing from some bigger jumps and aren't the plushest at low speeds either.

What you could do is buy them, and then send them off to a shop that can swap the internals and turn them into a really nice performing shock. Derisi Racing has their millenium valve conversion kit for the Works that is supposed to work wonders. GT Thunder can also transform them into some nice shocks for you. I do believe you could even send them to an authorized PEP service center such as SF Racing as well. If you choose one of these options, you will have a freshly rebuilt set of shocks that would be custom setup exactly to your specs. You would be much better off doing it this way in the long run IMO.

finsteratv
03-31-2011, 09:51 PM
thats what i plan on doing eventually, and in the next few years start racing xc and i already ride a good amount of dunes trails hill climbs. thats why im looking for quality suspension parts. but i do agree i have no idea when they were rebuilt last.. thanks for the input bro! anyone else?

CJM
03-31-2011, 10:10 PM
I say your much better off getting a set of 450r shocks and having them redone. Jet can do a triple rate kit for $570 (fronts) and they do offer dual and single rate kits as well. Rear is $370 for the dual rate kit they offer.

http://www.jet-motorsports.com/www.jet-motorsports.com/id8.html

Thats my plan eventually. they claim the triple rate kit works best for XC riding b/c its a progressive feel.

It is a bit of money to layout, but the nice thing is you know its setup for you specifically and its done the right way. Imho theres nothing wrong with the stock 400ex rear and 450r front shocks except the springs they use. Swap them out and you have a nice quality shock.

dustin_j
04-01-2011, 07:21 AM
After seeing a couple shocks on a shock dyno with check ball valving, I don't think any variation of the valving would work well. The shocks I saw were actually older PEPs that used works valving.

Derisi's Millenium valves look decent, and they came in my brother-in-law's Works shocks. Otherwise, GT Thunder or M@ul Tech ATV can install Hi Flow pistons to make them work well. If sent back to PEP, I think you'd still have the sub-par check ball valving.

Most likely the springs on these shocks are also too stiff for you.

finsteratv
04-01-2011, 04:47 PM
alright thanks for the input guys. what weight do 450r's work best for? so far for me being a light teenage kid its just gas it and hold on which is always a learning experiance :devil:

Duf6
04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
hey, I'm 33 and I still ride like that sometimes!

finsteratv
04-01-2011, 08:54 PM
hey duf6 how do you like the yfz shocks?
and haha always worked well for me :D natrual skill;)