PDA

View Full Version : Hello All! I got my kids first whip!

Doug10
03-30-2011, 10:33 PM
Well after waiting and waiting Junior is getting to the age to begin to ride so i went out and scored this for him. I am totally new to this mini atv thing. I used to race MX on a YFZ450 and I know my 4-strokes but not this 2 stroke game. He turns 4 in may and thats when we will start turning some laps at the local pee wee track. (living in the city limits yard space) Ill post up what I know about the bike and some observations I made. Hopefully you guys can chime in and keep my on an even keel.

2002 Scrambler

Engine has Malossi hi-comp oring head on there now with stock piston and jug. Jug has had some porting work done, im sure the previous owner jetted the carb since his daughter raced TT with it and was rather sucessful. The exhaust system is homemade with a 250R head pipe i believe, to a blimp pipe off a dirt bike and then looks like a cobra muffler at the end. Sounds good. Runs the best on 110 but for this season i dont for see junior getting more than 1/4 to half throttle so im thinking the jetting is off. Currently geared with a 18-35 setup, which id like to change to more mx friendly gear.

Suspension is Gold Speed Racing A-Arms and Gold Speed Racing Swingarm. I think the a-arms are +1.5 or 2.0 and the swing arm is a +1 i think. The shocks mount in the stock locations and the bike now has the absolutely horrible stock shocks.

His hands are rather small and im working on mending the thumb lever to lay closer to the handlebar and possibly cutting a tiny bit of spring out of the carb slide. She is stiff. The bars look to be aftermarket MSR's but sure are awful wide.

I really just wanted to get him out putting some time in, but my focus now is on 2 things. Better shocks and getting her a little wider in the arsh end since she is stock width back there.

Right now from hub to hub in the rear im at 26-1/4 and 29-1/2 up front. I was looking to order some rear hubs either stock 400ex hubs for the alumn. 1-3/4 extended 400ex hubs on ebay but think its wise to wait until i get new front tires.

I have a pair of Carlisle (HOLESHOT knockoffs) for the back that are 16x6.5x8 on douglas wheels with 2" back spacing and want to put 19x6-10's on the front with 2" bs. (would rather have 4+1 for front but they dont come in a 110mm bolt pattern.)

For shocks, my research has shown me that Works will build some for my 40-50lb little guy for around 700.00 front and rear. The fox's are nice as well (MXR's i believe). I know it may sound silly to spend money on a single A-arm Polaris with 9.75" long shocks, but i know the shocks are there are about as soft as a piece of flat bar. Also thinkin I might be able to go a hair longer on shocks since both front tires show some negative camber due to A-Arm design. I doubt it has 2 bent spindles.

Sorry to be long winded, happy to find a great place like this to talk to you experienced mini racers.

Doug

Doug10
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
More

Doug10
03-30-2011, 10:34 PM
another

Doug10
03-30-2011, 10:35 PM
one more

1baddiesel
04-04-2011, 12:30 PM
I will be watching this thread, as I too want a 50 Scrambler for my 3 year old. So please post any updates.

Doug10
04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
If you think you will be doing TT, i have a killer set of tires ill make you a deal on. All i want is a set of fronts for mx on rims.

Doug

1baddiesel
04-05-2011, 01:46 AM
We will be doing MX, but thanks for the offer.

fastrnrik
04-05-2011, 09:09 AM
I have some rear hubs with spacers on them for that bike. Make me an offer and they're yours

Doug10
04-10-2011, 05:41 PM
First trip to the track today and he loved it. Everyone thought he was 5 but i had to admit he was 3. I think we need some little bit longer front shocks.

Doug

1baddiesel
05-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Any updates?