PDA

View Full Version : 2006 450er Starting Problem??? Electric start not workin!

BUBBA Livesay
03-29-2011, 06:01 PM
Well i just redid my 06 450er. Frame up rebuild. Well i put a kicker kit in it and did away with my 24volt start system and went back to just a single battery and cut my wire harness too. well i got the bike back together and the electric start wouldnt work at all.
I can kick start the bike with no problems and it starts right up. Im just wantin to get the e start back workin.

I have checked battery voltage, its good.
when i turn the key on i dont here the solenoid clicking like it should. I checked the solenoid and it tested good. I followed the manuals instructions.

I have power to key switch, it tested good as well.

I have a Fly killswitch wired in as a start button and there is no power to it.

any one have any ideas??

airmobile101
03-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Brent, you best take your asre to Wally world and buy a test light ! lol Make sure you check that red wire with the bullet connector and the fuse.

300racer
03-29-2011, 10:21 PM
well i can tell you the main problem was the people you had help you with it! :devil: you got the pics sent in for qotf?

BUBBA Livesay
03-30-2011, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by airmobile101
Brent, you best take your asre to Wally world and buy a test light ! lol Make sure you check that red wire with the bullet connector and the fuse.

Hey Tim i already tested everything with a test light and a multi meter. Im gettin power to the red wire with the bullet connector. Power is goin through the fuse and fuse is good.
I have power at the key with a test light. Its just like after the key it seems to be gone? Lol

I hate wiring!!

And Coker that may be one issue! haha and no i havent sent them in yet. Where do i send them in at?

DnB_racing
03-30-2011, 07:59 AM
if you dont have power to the black wire at the start button you missed something, here is a pic to help tell what you do or dont have. sounds like you removed a splice somewhere giving black power...
this is race cut er and you should keep all of these wires to run, but this shows 24volt that can just be removed by putting the first ground to block ground, and make sure you put the red wire on your positive battery side of your single battery

dyno
03-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Check the ground wire that's bolted to the coil-may even be paint behind coil not letting it ground!

DnB_racing
03-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by dyno
Check the ground wire that's bolted to the coil-may even be paint behind coil not letting it ground! If its starting with kick the coil is grounded, however the starter needs ground.... but Im thinking if he doesnt have power to the black at start button he missed a splice when cutting harness

DnB_racing
03-30-2011, 08:20 AM
this might help explain what i think your missing

also make sure that somehow there is a ground on the tors connector at the cdi ..notice how one of the carb or throttle safety wires to cdi is now grounded through the green splice

BUBBA Livesay
03-30-2011, 08:14 PM
DNB you know your stuff! I took my wire harness off and took all the tape back off it and found that somehow the black wire coming from the start stop light switch cluster got cut up by the plug in. Ran me a wire down to the others and tied it in and wha la!! It starts!

I greatly appreciate your effort and the time it took to get them diagrams worked up and highlited in with the notes! They were just what i needed! Lookin at the service manual wasnt that easy! You hit the nail on the head!

Thanks You!!
Brent

DnB_racing
03-31-2011, 05:52 AM
It wasn't me....you made it alot easier for me to think of what the problem might be, you gave the right info and have a good knowledge what to look for, and you found it, its your fix!!! good job finding it!

300racer
03-31-2011, 12:59 PM
so we only cut 1 wrong wire? not bad.:D

BUBBA Livesay
03-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DnB_racing
It wasn't me....you made it alot easier for me to think of what the problem might be, you gave the right info and have a good knowledge what to look for, and you found it, its your fix!!! good job finding it!

Well i greatly appreciate your advice!!
without it i would still be looking for the problem :(

Thanks again!!!

Coker yea it was only one wire, i dunno how we cut it?? :confused:
O well problem solved!!:D

DnB_racing
03-31-2011, 02:44 PM
no problem im glade I was able to help!! sounds like you guys have a good handle on things and arnt afraid to try!

BUBBA Livesay
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
lol i guess ya could say we got a handle on it!!
We just went on a wim and started hackin away at the harness, figured it couldnt be to tough! :huh
Being scared of tryin stuff gets ya no where! il try almost anything once... Somethings i've done though will be left at just that one time haha ;)