PDA

View Full Version : 250r long travel rear end

bean #310
03-29-2011, 12:08 PM
i really cant find anything for a long travel rear end. i dont want to spend alot of money and i want to use my stock 86 swing arm. can anybody tell me any good setups or can i use a linkage and a shock off a 400ex or 450r or something. i would appreciate any help, thanks

Honda 250r 001
03-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Have your rear shock set up for more travel. I modified my rear shock by removing the top out spring, used a different seal head, and used a 86 dogbone instead of 88, and i now have 10.5 inches of travel out of the stock rear linkage to match my long travel front. Stock travel is 9.5 for the back i believe. After installing a race tech gold valve rear, my rear shock feels better than it ever has. Never bottoms out but is plenty soft.

hondaREX
04-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Awesome sig 001. would love to ride my R every ride but the 400EX is a little more reliable on a budget. not getting rid of either of my R's but i dont ride them as much as i want. bean, i have a nice PEP rear race shock. 16.5 eye to eye. setup for MX but a perfect rebuild. Let me know if youd be interested.

97Rocks
04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
I know back in the day people were using a 86 dogbone.... I think the above poster is on the right track.... OR, just buy a good shock and be done with it. IMHO, I'd rather have 3" of good usable travel over 10" of crap anyday!

Honda 250r 001
04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 97Rocks
I know back in the day people were using a 86 dogbone.... I think the above poster is on the right track.... OR, just buy a good shock and be done with it. IMHO, I'd rather have 3" of good usable travel over 10" of crap anyday!

But having 10" of USEABLE travel is the ultimate goal. Which i have achieved with the set up above. Just letting everyone get in on that secret. Its helping me pull many 450's and land softly on 90 foot table tops.

bean #310
04-29-2011, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by hondaREX
Awesome sig 001. would love to ride my R every ride but the 400EX is a little more reliable on a budget. not getting rid of either of my R's but i dont ride them as much as i want. bean, i have a nice PEP rear race shock. 16.5 eye to eye. setup for MX but a perfect rebuild. Let me know if youd be interested.

i just bought a used worcs standard travel shock, you have any pics and what are you looking to get out of it.

89rwfo
04-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
Have your rear shock set up for more travel. I modified my rear shock by removing the top out spring, used a different seal head, and used a 86 dogbone instead of 88, and i now have 10.5 inches of travel out of the stock rear linkage to match my long travel front. Stock travel is 9.5 for the back i believe. After installing a race tech gold valve rear, my rear shock feels better than it ever has. Never bottoms out but is plenty soft.

I experimented with this but struggled to find a spring. What did you use?

Honda 250r 001
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 89rwfo
I experimented with this but struggled to find a spring. What did you use?

Are you talking about a top out spring? Or are you talking about the external spring. I cant remember what spring i have, but it did seem longer than the stock springs. I think its a stock 86 spring as far as i know. I know that the 88-89 spring will not work with this set up. Not sure about 87 but 86 is the desired spring.

89rwfo
04-29-2011, 09:38 AM
yeah I removed the internal spring, its been too long since i did it. it also seems like I was using ATC body because the threads were lower. I will pull my " shock box" out and see what was going on. But yes I agree you can get another 3/4" travel out of stock shock.

Honda 250r 001
04-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 89rwfo
yeah I removed the internal spring, its been too long since i did it. it also seems like I was using ATC body because the threads were lower. I will pull my " shock box" out and see what was going on. But yes I agree you can get another 3/4" travel out of stock shock.

Yea let me know what you find out. The stock 250r shock really performs very well when set up correctly.