PDA

View Full Version : Quad issues/not running

YZROOSTINYA
02-17-2003, 05:11 PM
i was riding in the snow last night and my quad started sputtering and was acted funny. it would fall on its face if I was't full open or at least 3/4 throttle.

I was having a prob with it idleing. Normally it idles between 1380 and 1420. When its cold (snow) it acts all weird.

I think my head gasket might be leasking on the left side(sitting on bike). there is a small(1/2") oil/moisture patch where the head and cylinder meet. I have a XR400 gasket that I was going to replace the cometic gasket with.

It is blowing black smoke a little. it left some balckness on the snow.

was fine yesterday but left it in garage with a little snow on it.

i am running a 155 main
k&n
4th clip down
42 pilot'
no choke

air box is dry and all carb boots/airbox/cylinder connections are snug.

my header was glowing last night when i let it sit for a sec.

could it be frozen carb lines?
clogged jets?
electrical?

i am almost positive its carb related.

any ideas. digging into it tomorrow.

snowed 2ft here so i cant leave my buddies yet.

it started this moring right up and idled briefly before cutting out. i had it under a towel while it snowed 2 feet. no smoke just a little carbon and slowly losing rpm and cutting out.

motoboy66
02-18-2003, 02:24 AM
You may have seazed your piston rings. If they can't move freely, they will not seal right. This would also cause it to smoke.Try checking your compression.

YZROOSTINYA
02-18-2003, 04:08 AM
it doesnt smoke, just blos a little carbon

it still runs good, compression is good. just acts a little funny. I am gonna check it out after work today

02-18-2003, 07:03 AM
something in you jetting if you ask me. clean your carb bowl out. you may have some water in it.

UglyMotha™
02-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by motoboy66
You may have seazed your piston rings. If they can't move freely, they will not seal right. This would also cause it to smoke.Try checking your compression.

your right only he said it was black smoke in this case it would not be the problem you stated

Sparks425Ex
02-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Bump up your main jet to a 158 or 160 and see how it runs.. It could be simple jetting..

YZROOSTINYA
02-18-2003, 08:34 AM
in runs fine wide open so its not the main. 1 had a 158 in it, 160 162 165 168 170. 158 was a little rich still with a 9 plug. will go to this after my porting and i open my airbox more. should be spot on with a 8 plug and 158 main.

it is in the needle or pilot or air screw or something. i think a vent line is frozen, has to be.

F-16Guy
02-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Sounds like you're flooding a little bit. Is there any fuel coming out of the vent line whith the engine off? Check for crap between the needle and seat. You might be getting your filter wet with melted snow; you might check that, too.

YZROOSTINYA
02-18-2003, 12:02 PM
fuel drain line is frozen, but it never leaks

airbox is dry.

Doibugu2
02-18-2003, 12:08 PM
Maybe by the fuel drain line being frozen, its creating a vacum somehow, and is screwing up your fuel flow? Just a thought.

YZROOSTINYA
02-18-2003, 12:10 PM
thats what I am thinking. it should be thawed by the time I get home. I am gonna put the heater on in the garage. besides the elka's are here today!!!!!

Doibugu2
02-18-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA
thats what I am thinking. it should be thawed by the time I get home. I am gonna put the heater on in the garage. besides the elka's are here today!!!!!

Let me know how you like the Elka's. I have had mine sitting on the couch next to me for about a month now. Just been to cold here to ride.

YZROOSTINYA
02-18-2003, 12:22 PM
just a fresh 30 inches of snow mean too cold to ride? hahaha

I was hiting this step up jump the other day and was slamming the quad down hard. i had to try to absorb everything with my body cause the stockers were not hangin with the height.

i know the works made a big diff so I am anxious on the elka's

YZROOSTINYA
02-19-2003, 09:15 AM
thawed it yestaerday and it ran fine. the vent line was frozen

also pulled the head off and after 57.9 hours the cam still looks new along with the rockers

muff
02-19-2003, 09:18 AM
yea i was thinkin it was the vent line as i was reading the thread, cause the same thing happened to me but I had routed the tube wrong and it melted close onto my pipe

Doibugu2
02-19-2003, 09:34 AM
I wish they did a better job of putting that tube in. I wish they put little hooks or something to snap it into so you knew where it went.

I think everytime I take my carb off, I run it a different way.:ermm:

YZROOSTINYA
02-19-2003, 10:31 AM
the elkas look sweet by the way and I will let you know how they perform

picked them up from the quad shop. jeff helped me out.

had them in 1o days