PDA

View Full Version : Head Help Please!!

BossHogg420
03-28-2011, 01:11 AM
So basically
08 450er hrc kit with the recall preformed
35 hours....1st valve check

performed inspection tdc was marked on the bottom with the cam sprocket lined up with the piston at the top looking threw the spark plug hole

replaced left intake and right exhaust shim...down one...feeler gauges are spot on

put it all back together per manual and two diff online references...markings all line up and cam lobes facing grab bar. everything still spot on

motor seemed to be a little harder to turn over felt like something is catching....been threw it numerous times today/tonight basically cant get it to start......it just locks up when turning over with e start...manual turning over with hand it gets hard in one spot more than usual

what am i missing here please help

Thanks

DnB_racing
03-28-2011, 05:42 AM
if it was an 07 or 06 I would say your exhaust automatic decompression was out of adjustment,
but the 08 is different and im not sure if there is a chance its somehow not working properly??

if I was you I would check the cranking compression and see if its that causing the tension, or if the compression is were it belongs that would mean something is binding.

but to me it sounds like the exhaust valves are causing high cranking compression .... but again im thinking from a 06 style head, please keep me posted, im curious about the 08 adjustments for the compression

mx Eli
03-28-2011, 02:19 PM
pull the plug and see if it turns over. this will tell you if there's just to much compression for the starter to turn over.

also pull the timing cover/plug on the right side and make sure it's not on exhuast stroke. with the dots lined up on the timing plug make sure your timing is perfect.

this happened to me once and my timing was off

BossHogg420
03-28-2011, 07:21 PM
is it common to replace the exhaust shim on a new bike ie 30 hrs.....the one replaced was borderline needing it as in i could get the feeler gauge in it but with a lot more resistance than the other one.....i wonder if the new shim is causing the bind b/c when i turn it over by hand everything feels normal until i get to a certain point...thats basically when the middle lob is front faced pressing the rocker arms into the exhaust valves so maybe thats whats restricted... other than that...i believe im at tdc b/c its lined up on the bottom right and the arrows are lined up on the cam sprocket and the cam is tilted facing the grab....that is correct right.

mikeasmith_75
03-28-2011, 07:26 PM
On your cam gear is the spring weight. When you push it toward the teeth on the gear, the plunger in the cam should go in. When you let go of the wieght it should spring back out. If it is backwards the plunger won't blead off the compression and it will cause your problem. Sounds like you have the timing set right.

eastside 400
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
sounds like your decompression wasnt installed correctly.

310ESR
03-28-2011, 08:43 PM
I've seen the decompression system go bad with the same thing going on

BossHogg420
03-28-2011, 10:36 PM
what is backwards the spring weight? or do u mean how it works with the dowel in the middle of the cam? cause the plunger only goes in one way....mike can u elaborate further? east i didnt take the decompressor out on the 08 hrc there isn't one u just turn it clockwise and hold to slip the cam sprocket back on then slowly release and it goes back to where it was.....right? for the 08-09

mikeasmith_75
03-29-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by BossHogg420
what is backwards the spring weight? or do u mean how it works with the dowel in the middle of the cam? cause the plunger only goes in one way....mike can u elaborate further? east i didnt take the decompressor out on the 08 hrc there isn't one u just turn it clockwise and hold to slip the cam sprocket back on then slowly release and it goes back to where it was.....right? for the 08-09

The dowel is what I was calling the plunger. For the decomp to work right, when your putting your cam gear on the cam, the weight needs to be on the bottom side of the gear and the pivot point to the left. When you push the weight down with your finger the dowel needs to move into the cam. Hope this explains it better. I can see it in my head perfectly, but typing it, it's not so clear,lol. This might not be your problem, but can be installed wrong. Hope it helps